Options

Neutered and spayed cockers

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
Forum Member
6 year old female and 8 month old cocker just been done. Male friendly and loving, not showing signs of sexually mature and not interested in female, since being done he hasn't stopped humping bedding and is trying to mount the female!!!!!! Is on rimadyl anti inflammatory and wondering if I should stop his drugs. His wound is clean and fine and he is not bothered by pain,but his sexual appetite is very strong. Is this his hormones, or her pheramones????

Comments

• Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Dogs also mount as a way of showing dominance. I would though give the vet a call and discuss it with them, esp as you are considering stopping his drugs. They will be able to advise you if the mounting is a side effect!
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trinity35 wrote: »
    6 year old female and 8 month old cocker just been done. Male friendly and loving, not showing signs of sexually mature and not interested in female, since being done he hasn't stopped humping bedding and is trying to mount the female!!!!!! Is on rimadyl anti inflammatory and wondering if I should stop his drugs. His wound is clean and fine and he is not bothered by pain,but his sexual appetite is very strong. Is this his hormones, or her pheramones????

I would imagine he will settle down. It will take a while for the effects of neutering to take an effect. I wouldn't worry too much at the moment, but would just maybe mention to the vet when he goes to have any follow-up appointment/stitches out.

Cockers are fab - I have 2 myself :D

www.cockersonline.co.uk is a fab website and has a forum for cocker owners. There is a health section that you could maybe do a search on, or join, introduce yourself and ask there. I don't post regularly, but they are a friendly bunch that have an enormous wealth of knowledge between them about everything cocker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He defo doesn't need the pain meds, due to the amount of humping he has been doing lol. Wound is clean and dry though. Am wondering if my bitch was coming into season as he did show interest in her area and wee the last week. She may have a little discharge post op and if her hormones are mad, could be another reason. Just don't want them scrapping. Defo agree with the dominance too, he is male and they usually end up dominant and as she is recovering he may be an opportunist too. Poor luvvies so confusing......

What colour cockers do you have? Sasha is golden and timmy is black and White,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Follow up tomorrow night with vet x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My two boys are both golden. One is 8 and we have had him since he was 8 weeks old. The other is a very sprightly 13 years old and we adopted him from a rescue in September. Love the bones off them :D

If your bitch is unspayed then I would definitely assume that her season is nearby from the way your boy is reacting. He is reaching sexual maturity, and although has been neutered, the full effects of this won't be evident for some time (6 months to a year). He will still be able to mate with her, so it may be worth considering one of them staying elsewhere if her being in season is the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No..lol sasha was spayed the same time as timmy was neutered, but am wondering if she is still letting off hormones. What do you think? They are 3 days post op now and he was howling all night, not like him. She is fed up with his mating stance..lol he was never like this before it's very sudden. Odd huh!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol sorry, I misunderstood you :o

Definitely mention it to the vet, but I would think it's just a mixture of all hormones being a bit skewed and should settle down.