Options

Why do dogs roll in muck?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
Forum Member
✭✭✭
after I give my dog a bath,when we go the park his first mission is to roll in the muck.sometimes I bring my neighbours dog with us. He is a yorkshire terrier,after his bath as well he rolls in muck and sometimes other dogs poo.they do not seem to like to be clean.just wondered why poo?

Comments

• Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog prefers dead animals to poo although poo can be used for rolling if he isn't eating it.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something to do with covering their scent with another animals scent, but i'm not sure why exactly. My dogs love fox dung for rolling in
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To hide their smell so as to not alert prey.
  • Options
    XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    'Coz it smells nice........................to them! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    My dog loved dead animals too and foxes poo. Yum!:):)
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and fox poo IS AWFUL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    My dog loved dead animals too and foxes poo. Yum!:):)
    where in the park would there be dead animals,sorry a little confused:confused:
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Something to do with covering their scent with another animals scent, but i'm not sure why exactly. My dogs love fox dung for rolling in

This....I think :confused:...............something to do with making themselves smell like another animal so they aren't singled out by predators. Evolutionary stuff. I am led to believe :)
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    galaxy99 wrote: »

Dead birds? mice? :confused: I'm sure the poster takes her dogs to other places rather than just a park and will encounter various corpses. You can usually find various 'things' on the beach.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    galaxy99 wrote: »

There can be plenty of dead birds etc lying around and if your dog is of the lead then he will sniff it ou even if you can't see it.
  • Options
    dalemandaleman Posts: 226,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you dont pick them up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ejm wrote: »
    Dead birds? mice? :confused: I'm sure the poster takes her dogs to other places rather than just a park and will encounter various corpses. You can usually find various 'things' on the beach.

Thanks, yes luckily I live on the beach so they go there (dead seals and different sea birds) countryside dead animals, fox poo and the park dead birds, animals, surprise surprise foxes poo too. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks everyone.I just remembered the little yourkshire terrier did roll around the other day on a dead bird,very strange.I gaive mine a bath and then he likes to roll in the mud/poo/dead bodies,:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    To a dog these smells you've described are all natural, normal scents for dogs...who are of course descended from wolves.
    Can you imagine how refreshing they are to them compared to the air sprays and carpet freshenes they live with in their owners homes.
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    Something to do with covering their scent with another animals scent....
    Empirical wrote: »
    To hide their smell so as to not alert prey.
    ejm wrote: »
    .......something to do with making themselves smell like another animal so they aren't singled out by predators. Evolutionary stuff. I am led to believe

Yup! - They do it to disguise their own smell - an instinctive hunting thing.
  • Options
    merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd agree with it being instinctive to hide their own scent from the days they had to find their own dinner.:)
    One of our German Shepherds unfortunately rolled in some left by a fox (by the smell!:eek:) yesterday while on the dunes. He was very happy with himself untill he had to suffer the consequences in the bath later!
  • Options
    joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that they roll in smelly stuff because it's like the most expensive perfume to them.
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joules22 wrote: »
    I believe that they roll in smelly stuff because it's like the most expensive perfume to them.

Eau de dead seagull.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its all great fun lol.