Options

does anyone cut their dogs claws ....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
Forum Member
.... first time dog owner and was wondering if anyone cut their own dogs claws , she is extremely placid so i have no doubt she would let me do them , just looking for a bit of advice :)

Comments

• Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    our current dog, no as his have never needed to be done yet

but i did out older dogs claws, she didn't like it being done (which was fair enough, i did manage to catch a quick a few times when i clipped them) but she'd allow me to do it

i often give the dog i walk a quick pedicure too, as hers seem to grow quickly

it's quite easy to do, so long as the dog will co-operate with you
    you just need to be careful to cut cleanly and to avoid the quick - if you catch this it can be quite painful for the dog and it will bleed.
    easy to do with light coloured claws, but if your dog has black claws, it takes a bit of guess work and hoping you miss it.
    with these it's usually best just to take a little off the end to avoid over-trimming

you can get products like qwick stop which can be dabbed on to any over-trimmed claws to help stop the bleeding
  • Options
    Forum Member
    xdow wrote: »
    our current dog, no as his have never needed to be done yet

but i did out older dogs claws, she didn't like it being done (which was fair enough, i did manage to catch a quick a few times when i clipped them) but she'd allow me to do it

i often give the dog i walk a quick pedicure too, as hers seem to grow quickly

it's quite easy to do, so long as the dog will co-operate with you
    you just need to be careful to cut cleanly and to avoid the quick - if you catch this it can be quite painful for the dog and it will bleed.
    easy to do with light coloured claws, but if your dog has black claws, it takes a bit of guess work and hoping you miss it.
    with these it's usually best just to take a little off the end to avoid over-trimming

you can get products like qwick stop which can be dabbed on to any over-trimmed claws to help stop the bleeding

thanks for that , i would rather do it regular than try and go to far at once , any tips on the best clippers to buy , i would need to get them from pets at home or similar ..
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the claws are white, clip to just before the quick (red blood vessle).
    If the claws are black, just clip the tip off, leave it a week or two then clip another couple of mm. The quick will gradually recede so - theoretically - you will never cut it.

For the dogs comfort, bend the leg 'backwards' if you get what I mean - naturally bend the joint. Don't lift the paw up to the front. Perhaps you could google for an instructional video as it is hard to describe sorry:o

Might also be an idea to get a professional groomer to show you first time. Not normally very expensive - £10 to £15. Takes five minutes so a bit of a rip off lol.

Even though doggy is placid, give a scrummy treat afterwards and do it regularly so dog remains co-operative.

It isn't hard once you get the hang of it.:)
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I've never needed to cut any of my dogs claws. If they get regular exercise then they should get worn down by themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never needed to cut any of my dogs claws. If they get regular exercise then they should get worn down by themselves.

My Chinese Cresteds get the same exercise as my Glen. But because the smallest is so light, her nails don't wear down enough so I have to clip them. During summer they get very little walking over hard surfaces - we have fields behind us and a park over the road - so I have to cut the nails on both of the Cresteds occationally.

All three need help sometimes with their front dew claws.

The OPs dog may be a puppy on restricted walks, very light, walked over soft surfaces or eldely. It is always a good idea to get a dog comfortable with having its feet handled and nails clipped - you never know when it will be needed.
  • Options
    Just_AshJust_Ash Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    You should never need to cut your dog's claws if you take it out for walks regulary.
  • Options
    mazeymazey Posts: 137,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just_Ash wrote: »
    You should never need to cut your dog's claws if you take it out for walks regulary.
    That is true for big dogs, since having smaller dogs (8kg and 16kg) I have found their claws are not kept down by daily pavement walks of 30-40 minutes. Their main exercise is fields and woods walks.

I recommend taking them to the vet nurse, it costs £7.50 per dog and they get familiar with the nurses and the nurses get fond of them, which helps if they ever need surgery. My dog (age 14) had a malignant tumour removed last year, seeing the nurse has the bonus that she also looks him over between 6 monthly vet checks. He is on a low dose steroid and piriton.

Pets at home charge about £5 but appointments can be tricky (no cats before or after a dog appt) and it is a dog groomer who does it, almost as likely to cut the quick as you are. I do not like the way they are taking business from vets, so biased, but find a good vet and support them. Special diet food etc from my vet is comparable with online prices after paying for a prescription.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just_Ash wrote: »

Rubbish. It depends where they walk. Not everyone lives on / near a pavement !

My dogs go out daily for their runs, but they run on a field. So, their claws grow. They both get their nails trimmed every few months.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    I've had dogs for over 25 years and never trimmed a claw in that time. I've had golden retrievers, currently Briards and for variety a Cairn terrier. So that's large, medium and small breeds.

I walk on pavements during the week mostly but at weekends lots of free running in woods, parks and when possible, beaches (sand is great for keeping claws down).

However - 1-2 times a year they go into a grooming parlour for 'the works' and they trim their claws then. My Briards have a double dew claw and this never touches the ground so has to be manually done - twice a year is enough though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Rubbish. It depends where they walk. Not everyone lives on / near a pavement !

My dogs go out daily for their runs, but they run on a field. So, their claws grow. They both get their nails trimmed every few months.

I take my dog on a field and I've never had to cut her nails and there short enough....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps we could all agree that some dogs, despite the length of walk, need their nails cutting.

As mentioned in my post, all three of my dogs get the same walks. One never needs his nails cut. One needs them doing regularly, one needs them doing occationally. All need their dew claws clipped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nails grow faster than my mums and my sisters :p

it's only fair to assume the same happens with dogs - my boys claws grow much slower than our older dogs and the claws of the dog i walk

my boy and our old dog is/was a border collie
    the dog i walk is a slim-build labrador

both of them get run on soft ground and walked on pavements, but the boys have never needed doing, and rufs have to be done every couple of months
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks for the answers , i am just more than a little confussed now !! , maybe they dont need cutting ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks for the answers , i am just more than a little confussed now !! , maybe they dont need cutting ...

Well what are they like? are they in need of a cut? and I would get it done professionaly, cos you have to be careful not to cut the veins in the nails.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cutting the quick isn't the end of the world - it does stop bleeding, but it is uncomfortable for the dog.
    it can get infected too, but if you're careful then you shouldn't have any trouble.

if the dog clicks when it walks on a hard surface, then look at the paws when the dog is stood - if the claws cause the toe to be pushed upwards as they are touching the ground, they need a trim, if not then they are probably fine, asking a vet or groomer for an opinion first is a good idea though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the help , I think I will get a proper opinion first ....
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not true of every breed of dog, unfortunately. I have had English bull terriers and staffies. My staffies never needed their claws cut in their lives but the English do. I have had 2 dogs at once, an English and a staffie, and walked them together, constantly - the staffie still never needed his claws cut, the English did.

Elderly dogs may need it more frequently as they become less mobile.