News at Ten Ding Dong

Comments

• carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    AlanO wrote: »
    But the BBC hardly have 'household' names reading the news any longer - their presenters are largely forgettable. The days when the presenter line-up on the BBC consisted of Kenneth Kendall, Richard Baker, Richard Whitmore and Peter Woods are long gone.
    The main difference being that they were actual newsreaders; ie read what was put in front of them.

These days they are all journalists. As (I assume) those who present for ITV/N.
    But even then, the current BBC line up is totally anonymous.
    I'm sure I could name a few if I could be bothered. That said, surely what they say matters more than who they are?
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    AlanO wrote: »
    The only time in the last 20 or so years the BBC's line up had well known faces was when they'd poached them from ITN - Peter Sissons, Anna Ford, Martin Lewis and Nicholas Owen.

Never heard of Fiona Bruce or Hugh Edwards? And at least two of those in your list weren't "poached", they approached the BBC.
  • 4-Tel4-Tel Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A nice, understated final News at Ten sign-off from Mark Austin last night - "tonight, especially perhaps, thank you for watching." Such a shame Julie Etchingham wasn't co-presenting - it would have been more fitting. They are an underrated partnership and the changes to their roles do seem rather unnecessary.

So, it appears to be very much the soft launch ITV promised for the new line-up on Monday. No sign of any promos or advertising. I doubt there will even be a new set, as much as it's needed.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-Tel wrote: »
    I doubt there will even be a new set, as much as it's needed.

It was previously said by ITV/ITN there won't be no new look until next year.

ITV News needs a revamp to make its appearance more 'friendly'. The music and studio needs softening, its too stark and cold. The desk is too big and monolith for a 21st century newscast.

According to some TV listings, the bulletins will be known as the Lunchtime News, and Evening News again towards the end of October.

I doubt Tom Bradby will have much chance of success, considering the first Wednesday edition is moved to 11 after the football.

I'm just happy that Mary is remaining on the Evening News. She seems to get overlooked for some reason.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously, the answer is to close down the bbc ...... then, more people wd watch itv .......
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Obviously, the answer is to close down the bbc ...... then, more people wd watch itv .......

Viewers vote with their remote and the vast majority (5-1) choose the BBC at 10 p.m.Surely it is ITV that should move its news, not the BBC.
  • spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Viewers vote with their remote and the vast majority (5-1) choose the BBC at 10 p.m.Surely it is ITV that should move its news, not the BBC.

Yes, and how many of those are watching BBC1 by default. Arguably, the Beeb should never have been allowed to move their news from 9.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    It was previously said by ITV/ITN there won't be no new look until next year.

ITV News needs a revamp to make its appearance more 'friendly'. The music and studio needs softening, its too stark and cold. The desk is too big and monolith for a 21st century newscast.

According to some TV listings, the bulletins will be known as the Lunchtime News, and Evening News again towards the end of October.

I doubt Tom Bradby will have much chance of success, considering the first Wednesday edition is moved to 11 after the football.

I'm just happy that Mary is remaining on the Evening News. She seems to get overlooked for some reason.

Bulletins will be renamed next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spursboy68 wrote: »
    Yes, and how many of those are watching BBC1 by default. Arguably, the Beeb should never have been allowed to move their news from 9.

It was not the BBC's choice that ITV moved their main news to 11 p.m. If the vast majority of people prefer the BBC at 10 p.m. that is hardly a default audience.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So on occasions that the 9pm show on ITV outrates BBC1, why doesn't ITV's News At Ten then do really well? No, people just prefer BBC News.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletins will be renamed next week.

another great moved IMO. Everybody calls them the 'Evening News' and so on anyway. It was an originally branding that stuck.

Hopefully regional programmes will be next. ITV Central News please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another great moved IMO. Everybody calls them the 'Evening News' and so on anyway. It was an originally branding that stuck.

Hopefully regional programmes will be next. ITV Central News please.

On the regional front, I don't think ITV News London can be renamed because of the Beeb programme. But it is only a hunch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the regional front, I don't think ITV News London can be renamed because of the Beeb programme. But it is only a hunch.

There's no reason why, because BBC has the same name as ITV for their 10 news.

I don't want London to go back to London Tonight, simply because it's not up to the standards to qualify to use that name, IMO. ITN ruined London Tonight, again IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they will mark the occasion tonight by starting dead on 10 for a change?:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no reason why, because BBC has the same name as ITV for their 10 news.

I don't want London to go back to London Tonight, simply because it's not up to the standards to qualify to use that name, IMO. ITN ruined London Tonight, again IMO.
    I live in the ITV London area and agree that the local news was better under LNN. My point about the name was in relation to the regional news. ITV London News can't see happening. Outside London doesn't matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in the ITV London area and agree that the local news was better under LNN. My point about the name was in relation to the regional news. ITV London News can't see happening. Outside London doesn't matter.

I can't see the names changing anyhows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see the names changing anyhows.

Shame. The titles are truly daft the way they are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame. The titles are truly daft the way they are.

Why do you think so?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems rather strange this is going to be such a low-key launch suggesting ITV don't have any confidence in the product - I have seen nothing promoting the programme at all. I wonder how they propose to attract new viewers without mentioning that things have changed ? NAT last Friday, following the football, struggled to get one million viewers so it does not bode well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems rather strange this is going to be such a low-key launch suggesting ITV don't have any confidence in the product - I have seen nothing promoting the programme at all. I wonder how they propose to attract new viewers without mentioning that things have changed ? NAT last Friday, following the football, struggled to get one million viewers so it does not bode well.

But last Friday's show was in it's old format.

They do right by going for a low key launch, look what happened to Daybreak, big hype for it to be taken down by the media and viewers.

This way, if things go wrong, they can revert back to the 'plodding along in the background' format that they've just ditched.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be the first to say it anyway,

Good luck to Tom Bradby with his new show - he's going to need it!:D, especially with the first Wednesday edition moved to at Eleven.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alastair Stewart has retired from ITV/N News according to The Times. Sorry to see him go, one of the last of the old school.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alastair Stewart has retired from ITV/N News according to The Times. Sorry to see him go, one of the last of the old school.

I can't read The Times, as it's behind a paywall, but unless something has changed I think it means he has presented his last 'News at Ten', but not retired from ITV News
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The ITN press release says he is moving to the Lunchtime News and Friday's Evening News. The Times must be wrong unless he's said sod it.
  • Minute Mart 1Minute Mart 1 Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was even better when it was Thames News. I am showing my age. :o