What will the television schedules look like when the Queen dies?

Comments

• ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    They wanted at least a week of sombre programming when the Queen Mother died? Bloody hell. Talk about overkill!
    Then they changed their mind and got their news presenter to downplay her death and wear a colourful tie. That sure went down well. ;-)
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the most mystifying aspects of modern British culture is people giving a toss about this family who believe they were chosen by god to rule over the rest of us.
  • JimezJimez Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    It will be wall to wall coverage across many channels, including BBC 1, 2, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. All the news channels will be filled with coverage for at least a few weeks.

But in honesty, i don't care with the coverage. I'm in the group classed as anti-royalist, but i do understand they bring in a lot of money to the UK in tourism.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimez wrote: »
    It will be wall to wall coverage across many channels, including BBC 1, 2, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. All the news channels will be filled with coverage for at least a few weeks.

But in honesty, i don't care with the coverage. I'm in the group classed as anti-royalist, but i do understand they bring in a lot of money to the UK in tourism.
    You understand they bring in tourism? Do they? I find no real proof in that well repeated myth.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some channels will close for a few hours as will radio.
    There will be extended news programmes on the BBC and ITV I think. Some minor channels may broadcast as normal.
    I will watch some of the news but will also be making good use of Netflix and the other channels that BT offer.

Darren
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Do you think her passing will affect the collective national libido then?

Can anyone remember, or indeed was anyone watching, when The Queen Mum and Princess Diana died, did Sky Sports News carry the news at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You understand they bring in tourism? Do they? I find no real proof in that well repeated myth.

they must do. Nobody visits Egypt as all their kings and queens are long gone ;)
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who don't like the royal family needn't worry.

Dave will still be showing repeats of 'Only fools and horses'.
  • David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who don't like the royal family needn't worry.

Dave will still be showing repeats of 'Only fools and horses'.

I've never seen that on there. Whether you're a royalist or not. Endless coverage is pointless. Personally a kid dying of cancer is more shocking and distressing than an eldery woman dying of natural cause but we'll never see schedules ripped apart for coverage of that.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the most mystifying aspects of modern British culture is people giving a toss about this family who believe they were chosen by god to rule over the rest of us.

Even more mystifying is the amount of effort that some people put into a subject that they claim no interest as well as the obsession that some have with deaths and seemingly aim to avoid showing any respect to the deceased person.
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    There will be no escape from it. The florists along with the media, will be the only ones very happy,

Quite

Will be interested to see what kind of balance they strike in terms of giving a hearing to the republican viewpoint held by c20% of the population - especially as most polls on abolition of the monarchy have used something along the lines of "what would you like to happen after The Queen" as their question, implying that they expect the aftermath of her death to be the moment when the debate over the future of the monarchy really comes into the mainstream.

Too young to really remember The Queen Mother's death but the broadcasting sector has changed so dramatically since then that comparisons aren't really relevant anyway.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YouTube will crash because of people getting away from it :D
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've always thought this was a pretty weak argument as well. People would still come to see the palaces etc, even if we were a republic. Plenty of people go to Versailles and France got rid of its royal family a long time ago.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we were a republic in 1997 Tony Bliar would have been president!!:o Could we trust a man who as a student looked over a smokey room, saw Cherie and thought "Wow!" I fancy her!":D
  • dom5491dom5491 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I can imagine that the TV channels overnight we shrink to a 1/4 of a screen with the latest developments while showing historical documentries about the royals, apart from itv which will have Jeremy Kyle with people needing help to cope with grief. QVC will still be selling gardening equipment with a scrolling message on screen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we were a republic in 1997 Tony Bliar would have been president!!:o Could we trust a man who as a student looked over a smokey room, saw Cherie and thought "Wow!" I fancy her!":D

Funny lot Labour, Gordon Brown was the opposite! He lived with a beautiful Yugoslav Princess when at university and everyone expected them to marry but he gave her up for the Labour party!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Even more mystifying is the amount of effort that some people put into a subject that they claim no interest as well as the obsession that some have with deaths and seemingly aim to avoid showing any respect to the deceased person.

Oh your right. It's taken me this long to find the strength to reply to you. SO.MUCH.EFFORT. :D

I am hoping when the queen clogs it Charles views on eco issues means he thinks it's daft having the amount of houses they do and downsizes somewhat!...Fat chance!!!
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to know if Queen makes it a 100. Who sends her a card? Would she write one herself?
  • VerrillionVerrillion Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Was listening to radio while online and was one of first to hear death of Queen mother . Think they were 20 minutes in advance of anyone else as royal correspondant got tip off.
    Was online in a forum at time it was a world wide forum and was of great intrest to foreigners as for them to tip off there own press in there countrys.
    My memory was telling a Canadian lady who was upset as she had been one time Queen of Canada.
    But note this got lot of trolling comments from teenagers who had no intrest and lots of antiroyal sympathies. So be prepared for some very nasty comments and not a full out pouring of universal grief.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,060
    Forum Member
    Verrillion wrote: »
    So be prepared for some very nasty comments and not a full out pouring of universal grief.

No need for nasty comments obviously, but there won't be a full outpouring of universal grief. Millions around the world won't care as she's nothing to do with them, because they've never met her, because they're against the royals, or just because it's basically of absolutely no interest to them. Even in this country there'll be plenty who will basically turn round and say "er, yeah, ok, what's your point, get on with life and quite crying over nothing"
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone remember, or indeed was anyone watching, when The Queen Mum and Princess Diana died, did Sky Sports News carry the news at all.

I don't know - as I didn't have Sky Sports News at the time. But no one had SSN when Diana died - the channel wasn't launched until the following year.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He would have been Prime Minister, there's no need for a president.
  • WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an Irish person, I agree with the last post. We sometimes elect good Presidents and other times total cardboard political types that make people some of us look at the Queens and think, perhaps a monarchy is not that archaic an idea.

Very much doubt her Majesty is leaving all you loyal subjects anytime soon, as one of the richest people on the planet, she will undoubtedly make a century with ease and looks so well at ninety, perhaps one hundred will just be a new chapter.

There may not be a Charles III at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an Irish person, I agree with the last post. We sometimes elect good Presidents and other times total cardboard political types that make people some of us look at the Queens and think, perhaps a monarchy is not that archaic an idea.

Very much doubt her Majesty is leaving all you loyal subjects anytime soon, as one of the richest people on the planet, she will undoubtedly make a century with ease and looks so well at ninety, perhaps one hundred will just be a new chapter.

There may not be a Charles III at all.

I don't think she is anywhere near the richest person in the world. The Crown Estates were handed over to the State which is why she receives a small part of the income in the Sovereign Grant.

I thought it was fairly certain that his Regnal Name will not be Charles?
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be very interesting to see what will happen with television here in Ireland - It will certainly be big news here but I wonder will RTÉ break away from normal programming to announce the news. I don't think TV3, TG4 or UTVI would.

It will also be interesting to see if RTÉ broadcast the funeral live on RTÉ One or will they just leave it to their News Channel