BBC Sport - What is the point ?

WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In the last few weeks, BBC Sport has lost the rights to Football League highlights and the Open Golf. From 2022, Discovery / Eurosport are the primary rights holder of the Olympic Summer games. BBC may get some but certainly not all broadcast rights sub-contracted by Discovery.

All they have left are very short duration annual sports events; Six Nations (half of games shared with ITV) and Wimbledon fortnight (which BT Sport are sniffing around).
Throw in the occasional athletics coverage and a rugby league game here and there and that is pretty much it.

The question is if the BBC is "cash flat" for the next decade, which to me sounds like a 20% real terms cut in income, should BBC Sport be closed, and all sports coverage outsourced to independent production, as Channel 4 has always done ?

The saving would have to be more than a hundred million pounds, given the droves of Sports hacks they have all over radio and TV platforms, talking about stuff they can't show any footage of, it is quite pathetic now. The regular news readers could simply give the sports results as happens on Radio 4 now.

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IThe saving would have to be more than a hundred million pounds, given the droves of Sports hacks they have all over radio and TV platforms, talking about stuff they can't show any footage of,

So

a) That saving is a guess

b) The BBC should not even report or discuss sports news now?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit the BBC Sportscentre in Salford does appear to have a large number of staff, most of whom sound like refugees from local radio, and economies could be made there.
  • ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I must admit the BBC Sportscentre in Salford does appear to have a large number of staff, most of whom sound like refugees from local radio, and economies could be made there.

To read some comments here you would get the impression that the only good broadcasters originate in London!

However, addressing the second point; of course the Sportcentre is overstaffed - the BBC is a publicly owned organisation, and as such has no idea of how to run a business leanly. The same can be said for the ridiculously overstaffed front of camera weather presenting team, which could be halved in size - but that's for another thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly agree with you about the weather presenters - when the new contractor takes over I suspect we will see a dramatic reduction in that department.
  • singhss1singhss1 Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

A bit racist don't you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    singhss1 wrote: »

Racist ?
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,981
    Forum Member
    When did the weather forecasters become part of the sports departments?

Looks like the usual British obsession for a whinge.

In response to the subject of the thread, snooker and darts I believe are already produced by independent production companies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No mention then of ITV losing the FA Cup and Champions League ?

Haven't the BBC just signed new contracts with the rugby league and rugby union ?
    The Wimbledon contract runs to 2017 and looks like being renewed
    Then we have the next Euros and World Cup
    Commonwealth Games

Yes the cupboard is bare.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I think you're all forgetting about snooker, bowls and BDO darts... and quite rightly so ;)
  • WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I deliberately omitted the "sports" that can be played in a cardigan.

And btw, I have no Sky or BT subscriptions, so my beef with the BBC is purely an attempt to save them money, and the events that are on every two or four years hardly need a full-time sports department to cover them.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is, they show a lot more sport than people think...they hide it behind the red button and in many instances, if you are watching any of the HD channels on freview what's on the red button doesn't show up.
    If the BBC knows what it's going to show live they should make more of an effort to tell people what's on.
    Dunno how...maybe an annoying ticker in the middle of EE explaining "in 1 minute you can watch the European naked mud wrestling championships on the red button"?

Genuine sports *hidden* recently =
    Triathlon
    Rowing
    Eurohockey
    Swimming/diving
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im all for BBC retaining sports rights, (IMO they should have the all the major sports rights for the nation), but I think overall, sport is oversaturated on TV. There is far too much sport on TV.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Match of the Day alone is worth keeping BBC Sport for. Their online presence is important too.
    Forum Member

And btw, I have no Sky or BT subscriptions, so my beef with the BBC is purely an attempt to save them money, and the events that are on every two or four years hardly need a full-time sports department to cover them.

Do you have a UK TV Licence though?
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Im all for BBC retaining sports rights, (IMO they should have the all the major sports rights for the nation), but I think overall, sport is oversaturated on TV. There is far too much sport on TV.

Outside Premier football, sport is a cheap way of filling hours of the day, and I'm surprised there's not more of it.
    If we are forced to buy the licence then the BBC must provide sport for those of us not bothered with it's normal cooking/baking/antique dealing (etc etc) output >:(
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Trouble is, they show a lot more sport than people think...they hide it behind the red button and in many instances, if you are watching any of the HD channels on freview what's on the red button doesn't show up.
    If the BBC knows what it's going to show live they should make more of an effort to tell people what's on.
    Dunno how...maybe an annoying ticker in the middle of EE explaining "in 1 minute you can watch the European naked mud wrestling championships on the red button"?

Genuine sports *hidden* recently =
    Triathlon
    Rowing
    Eurohockey
    Swimming/diving

There's a fair amount of equestrian coverage on the Red Button too.
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    Outside Premier football, sport is a cheap way of filling hours of the day, and I'm surprised there's not more of it.
    If we are forced to buy the licence then the BBC must provide sport for those of us not bothered with it's normal cooking/baking/antique dealing (etc etc) output >:(

Why do you focus on what you don't like as if that's all that is available?

Last weekend there was an abundance of sport on the BBC.... World Championship Athletics, Rugby League, Women's Football, Premier League Highlights, European Hockey and that's pretty much normal for most weekends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So they should cover (i.e. report on) no other events then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC could save an awful lot of money by not covering any news or sport at all but unfortunately it is their charter that they must show news.And if you look at the ratings the vast majority of viewers prefer BBC News over ITV.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Not forgetting the F1 coverage at which they have a presence for the whole season but only show half the races live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And not forgetting that the sports department provides sports news across all events & sports for both TV and radio, whether the BBC has a contract or not.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do ITV no longer show the Olympics ? Because the BBC do it so much better and win hands down.

As a rugby league fan too I am delighted the BBC have kept the Challenge Cup for 4 more seasons too
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The women's world cup was covered very well by the BBC, and I hope that continues for the next edition.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Don't forget the whole radio side of things too.

Cricket, Hockey, Football, Rugby, Formula 1
  • Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    singhss1 wrote: »

Hahaha.... What??