Options

Problems with BBC iPlayer

JustastrayJustastray Posts: 97
Forum Member
I watch most TV through my iPad, mainly on BBC iPlayer, but also on All Four and to a lesser degree, all the other channels, too.

For the past two weeks or so now, I've been having a problem in accessing all of these because they are all currently reading my location as being outside of the U.K. even though I live in Yorkshire (and I know we often go on about our county going it alone, but that's not the issue that we're talking about here!) .

This is the third time in around the last year that this particular problem has bothered me, and it's proving almost impossible to solve. I had a long telephone conversation with EE, my broadband provider, earlier today, and they just simply assured me that my broadband is working OK, and that the service was definitely coming from within these shores. I am now at a total loss as to what to do to try to correct this. All my settings have me down being I the UK, but still I get the message that "The BBC iPlqyer is only available in the UK" with similar rejection messages from all the other channels.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, please, and/or could anyone out there help me sort this out?

Comments

• Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AFAIK EE use dynamic IP, meaning you get a different IP address every time you reboot your router. It might be worth trying a reboot to see if you get a new IP that is considered UK based.

And it could be worse The science of linking an IP to a physical location is a bit vague.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for trying to help me with this one, but very sadly the suggestion didn't work. I might keep trying and see what it keeps sending up, and I'll let you know if it eventually gets sorted.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could try changing your DNS provider, to Google for example:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using#configure_your_network_settings_to_use_google_public_dns

I'm assuming that neither you or anyone else in the house is using a DNS proxy such as Unblock-US?
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To. Justastray
    This is what I use.
    www.viewtelly.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To. Justastray
    This is what I use.
    www.viewtelly.com

That's working perfectly for me. Thank you! Great of you to send the link. Is it totally free, and/or have you ever had any problems with it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately, I have to report yet more problems with the BBC iPlayer. After working for the first day or so, it's now displaying the same error message when I'm watching it on www.viewtelly.com as it was when viewing it via my normal means.

This time, however, there was at least a message from the BBC explaining how this might be happening, but I've tried a couple of their quoted remedies without any success. One further suggestion for a way round this is given as a recommendation that we switch off VPN - this being quoted as possible reason for the 'shut out' from iPlayer - but every time I try to switch it off in my settings screen it just Glinka back on again after two or three seconds. I'm trying this on an iPad, but can't find any other way to permanently switch this (VPN) off via other controls, so voile anyone out there suggest how I might do this?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who might possibly be able to help here.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justastray wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I have to report yet more problems with the BBC iPlayer. After working for the first day or so, it's now displaying the same error message when I'm watching it on www.viewtelly.com as it was when viewing it via my normal means.

This time, however, there was at least a message from the BBC explaining how this might be happening, but I've tried a couple of their quoted remedies without any success. One further suggestion for a way round this is given as a recommendation that we switch off VPN - this being quoted as possible reason for the 'shut out' from iPlayer - but every time I try to switch it off in my settings screen it just Glinka back on again after two or three seconds. I'm trying this on an iPad, but can't find any other way to permanently switch this (VPN) off via other controls, so voile anyone out there suggest how I might do this?

Stig earlier was most likely correct. If using vpn or smartdns server, you often get problems as bbciplayer thinks you are not in uk.

Try going to your pc network adaptor and manually setting dns settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google dns settings), and this usually sorts issue unless router locks down bypassing of isp dns settings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One further suggestion for a way round this is given as a recommendation that we switch off VPN - this being quoted as possible reason for the 'shut out' from iPlayer - but every time I try to switch it off in my settings screen it just Glinka back on again after two or three seconds. I'm trying this on an iPad, but can't find any other way to permanently switch this (VPN) off via other controls, so voile anyone out there suggest how I might do this?
    What VPN? What are you using it for? That will most certainly be the problem.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To. Justastray
    This is what I use.
    www.viewtelly.com
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Sorry, but these posts don't help the OP solve his actual problem. He lives in the UK and wants to use iPlayer. He doesn't have to use a 3rd party service which will probably get shutdown in a few months.
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One further suggestion for a way round this is given as a recommendation that we switch off VPN - this being quoted as possible reason for the 'shut out' from iPlayer - but every time I try to switch it off in my settings screen it just Glinka back on again after two or three seconds. I'm trying this on an iPad, but can't find any other way to permanently switch this (VPN) off via other controls, so voile anyone out there suggest how I might do this?

Def think the VPN is the issue, because even if a UK server, the IP's for that server might be on a block list by the UK online TV services, hence the issues as the service you are using is seeing the IP address of the server, not your true IP.

Try turning on airplane mode, then reboot the iPad and see if the VPN reconnects when you turn off airplane mode.
    If it does, take a screenshot of the VPN settings with the iPad, and delete the VPN configuration.
    Reboot the iPad and set up the VPN config again but leave switched off until you need to use the VPN, hopefully when finished with it this time you'll be able to turn it off as normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you to all who helped me with this,mans apologies for the late reply. The suggestions about closing down VPN completely sorted the problem, and I'm very grateful for all who helped me with this one. This is such a very good and very helpful site!