UK, the 3rd worst song this year.

124»

Comments

• PaulRPaulR Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Im very pro Eurovision song contest.... but last nights split voting really opened Pandoras box as to the very dark side of the competition. I think the organisers will be a tad worried. The UK entry was ok... not a 'bottom 10' song.... Polands votes amazing and a winner that had politics written through it.

In all honesty, I thought this years show was one of the poorest in years..... so I was 'surprised' how poorly an ok entry from the uk did. I do believe we could send the greatest song and artist ever an we would struggle to not be in the bottom five.

Not sure what the answer is... its meant to be fun.... but a competition too. Why not have the vote upfront at the beginning. .. before the songs? ;-)
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    And Ukraine winning has nothing to do with Russia trying to liberate Crimea from the Ukraine I guess? Funny how they sky-rocketed with the public vote.

If that were the reason, then why did Russia themselves do so well? If mainland Europeans take umbrage at our government, it's nothing compared to the feelings towards Putin's cabal.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    Oh look brexiters trying to use this pathetic excuse for a competition as a reason to vote to leave the EU. Can you get anymore desperate?

Of course the rest of Europe doesn't hate us. Grow up!
    If being hated as a nation is a reason for always doing badly in Eurovision then it doesn't explain why Russia very often does well?
    I agree about brexiters Eurovision has absolute sod all to do with the EU! Not only are there numerous countries that take part that aren't in the EU there are some countries that aren't even in Europe!
  • Lolly_Du_BekeLolly_Du_Beke Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked our entry this year. I'm surprised it didn't do better. Although personally I thought last years was better but that did worse points wise.

I hated Ukraine and was furious she won. Not a scrap of singing talent and an awful song.

I just think no matter how good our song is we will never do well.

The only way the politics could be abolished is if everyone performed under their name rather than their country. Don't tell people where they are from until after voting. But I doubt that could realistically be pulled off. You'd be counting on all people from that country not saying who their entry is. Unless it was hidden from everyone.
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Turbulence wrote: »
    You might want to take a look at 2011 when we finished high up on the televote but got absolutely screwed over by the jury. And not to mention we finished 5th in 2009.

People need to start accepting that we've just not been getting it right in recent years. Not even close, in fact. We haven't produced anything memorable or interesting that would warrant a high place finish. End of.

I'm not sure that many people thought we warranted a high place finish. However our song was not the second worst of the night and to finish 3rd last was a bad result. Trying to look at it fairly we should have finished 14th -17th, that would have been a fair result for our song and the jury vote had that right.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why say that to be at the bottom of the leaderboard means your song is 'bad'? Someone has to be there, and there are 26 songs for the voting public to choose from. It just means that people preferred other songs, not that they thought ours was 'crap'. It's really not that hard to grasp this concept surely.

I voted for Latvia for example and my partner Cyprus. Yet it seems the majority of voters didn't agree with either of our tastes. I hardly think there's any conspiracy at work though.
  • The BrainThe Brain Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a fairly catchy song, but nothing special, and the staging was poor. If the odds were really stacked against the UK that much, we'd never achieve a top half finish. When we really make the effort to enter a good song, we have achieved decent placings, including fifth for Jade Ewen in 2009.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    The last time we did well, we entered a song written by somebody very well known, somebody who knows how to write good music.

We need the same thing again.
  • Pepsii ColaPepsii Cola Posts: 1,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its worth remembering we still received our best result in years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its worth remembering we still received our best result in years.

Absolutely! Our score compared to previous years was actually pretty high. Yet folk will fixate only on the fact that we were near the bottom of the 'right hand side'.
  • popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look across all the public votes across all the countries the UK position is pretty consistent we were bottom five with most countries. When you get a result like it tells us that our entry was simply not good enough to capture the interest of the viewer

I feel sorry for the boys who did the best but against the other countries our entry looked and sounded nice but was very forgettable. Austria who came before us did very well with the public vote and their staging was amazing and we were followed by Armenia who also had a stunning stage performance.

I honestly don't know where the UK goes from here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look across all the public votes across all the countries the UK position is pretty consistent we were bottom five with most countries. When you get a result like it tells us that our entry was simply not good enough to capture the interest of the viewer

I feel sorry for the boys who did the best but against the other countries our entry looked and sounded nice but was very forgettable. Austria who came before us did very well with the public vote and their staging was amazing and we were followed by Armenia who also had a stunning stage performance.

I honestly don't know where the UK goes from here

I don't think they need any sympathy. They gave a good performance, and did relatively not too badly in the jury vote. Eurovision isn't like school sports day where everyone gets a gold star for trying. They performed well and should be proud of it, and not cry over the fact that someone has to be on the dreaded 'bottom right hand side'. If it was really that much of an ignominy then no-one would ever put themselves forward as entrants!
  • RodneyRodney Posts: 4,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why Joe & Jake didn't sing the same version of the song as they did in the qualifiying rounds? The original had a higher chorus and better harmonies than the more basic version performed last night. In fact when I first heard them sing I thought they were off key as it sounded so flat. Also staging was unbelievably bad - was there a worse staged song in the contest? To get the vote on the night you need to grab the viewers attention - either with a knockout performance or mind-blowing staging. Remember that as over 200 million are watching, you can't go on as if it's being performed in a local hall.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    It did used to be a fun competition..now the whole things a bad joke and been replaced by a political bloc voting and the songs don't matter. last nights winner was atrocious ...as people are voting not on songs anymore...let's face it countries like the uk will be bottom five forever if we continue to participate cause we aren't liked.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulR wrote: »
    Im very pro Eurovision song contest.... but last nights split voting really opened Pandoras box as to the very dark side of the competition. I think the organisers will be a tad worried. The UK entry was ok... not a 'bottom 10' song.... Polands votes amazing and a winner that had politics written through it.

In all honesty, I thought this years show was one of the poorest in years..... so I was 'surprised' how poorly an ok entry from the uk did. I do believe we could send the greatest song and artist ever an we would struggle to not be in the bottom five.

Not sure what the answer is... its meant to be fun.... but a competition too. Why not have the vote upfront at the beginning. .. before the songs? ;-)

No we seem to love playing it safe. We love mediocrity. When was the last time we sent an act that really knocked it out of the park and captured the imagination with a BIG song? Yeah not since Katrina and the Waves!
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    The UK entry had boring staging and costumes. The vocal performances seemed to lack energy for an up tempo song, possibly they concentrated on singing in tune at the expense selling the tune and enjoying themselves.

I'm at a total loss as to how Ukraine won.

It seems that free movement in the EU has had a massive effect on the televote.

Easy sorted just tally all votes instead of splitting them by country. So no douze points from the nation next door etc.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    We all know it wasn't the 3rd worst song, that's obvious
    The jury votes were fine, it was public vote that revealed Europe's dislike of the uk
  • DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie J wrote: »
    I think we recieve the message loud and clear. Europe does not want us, so time to leave the EU and the Eurovision.
    But they want us to stay in the EU, which is very false of them, as well as taking our money and giving nothing in return! Shocking state of affairs!
  • TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    I actually though the song was quite good and performed well. But I'd still have it in the bottom 5 because there were far better songs with better lyrics and more modern.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    I actually though the song was quite good and performed well. But I'd still have it in the bottom 5 because there were far better songs with better lyrics and more modern.

Unfortunately it was just an exceptionally strong year with loads of commercial sounding uptempo stompers.

Definitely nothing to do with "political voting" anyway.....Australia finished second after all.