Mel Smith R.I.P

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad news he was a great comic and will be sorely missed.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    That is so sad. A comedian from my childhood, he had a face made for laughs. Loved his voice in Father Christmas which we watch every year. RIP Mel
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I'd heard he was ill and was hoping he was on the mend. But it was not to be. Shame.

He was one of the few comedians who ever managed to make me literally cry with laughter.

RIP Mel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He will always be the voice of Father Christmas. RIP Mel
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news RIP. He was great on Not The Nine O'clock News:(
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Really spooky coincidence.When I was watching Pointless yesterday there was a round on comedy double acts, and Mel Smith was a possible answer. I got confused, mixing him up with another comedian whose name escapes me now, so asked my Dad 'Isn't Mel Smith dead now?' and he replied that he wasn't. And today it's announced he's passed away? How strange.

Very sad news nonetheless. Really liked Smith and Jones back in the day and 60 is really no age these days. RIP Mel :(
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    There have been rumours and whispers of Mel Smith's increasing ill-health in recent years, but this is still a huge shock. The world has lost a comedian who perfectly combined natural humour with almost fanatical hard work, and who was also a genuinely nice man. Like Eric Morecambe, Mel was a perfectionist when it came to his act, and would spend hours fine tuning a sketch to wring out the last drop of comedy.

Eternal memory.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gamercraig wrote: »
    Very sad. From an age where comedy didn't have to be coarse just for shock laughs

Absolutely, one of the finest exponents of his craft alongside both Griff Rhys Jones and the rest of the Not The Nine O'Clock News team.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RIP Mel. I loved NTNON and especially the early years of 'Alas Smith & Jones'. Such a sad loss.
  • lux lisbon 2lux lisbon 2 Posts: 6,273
    Forum Member
    RIP Mel, gone too soon.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Mel - a damm shame - 60 no age to go.
  • Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.I.P Mel Smith....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MadMoo40 wrote: »
    Should we not focus the thread on the sad death of Mel Smith rather than keep hassling a poster for a genuine mistake? Geez :rolleyes:

THIS^
    It's an RIP thread not a chance to get one-up on someone.:rolleyes:
  • ugglauggla Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was watching not the nine o'Clock news yesterday thinking i aint seen him on TV for years.

R.I.P very sad to hear this :(
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was something seriously adrift with Mel Smith when he appeared on Celebrity Mastermind on NYE 2008. I hadn't seen him on tv for ages but he looked haggard and confused and seemed to have speech difficulties. It was rumoured then that he had suffered a stroke Great shame. .RIP Mel Smith.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1104136/Mel-Smiths-frail-anxious-appearance-quiz-sparks-fears-comic-legends-health.html
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always sad to hear another great name from the 70s and 80s era pass.

Mel hadn't looked well for some time, sadly. I didn't realise he was only 60 though.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naturally funny man and good actor.

In addition to NTNON and Alas Smith and Jones, I really liked 'Colin's Sandwich'.

RIP Mel.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So many laugh out loud memories. RIP.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Very sad news. I used to be helpless with laughter at his head to head sketches with Griff Rhys Jones - so simple but incredibly funny. RIP
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahhh RIP Mel Smith.:(

Great comedian with great comedy timing.

Loved his head to heads with Griff Rhys Jones...
  • MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    Very very sad. RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psqQR_AnGJM

...one of my all time favourites
  • cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sad to hear the news of Mel Smith. NTNON was a favourite of mine, so funny. So many tributes showing what a kind person and he had such wit. He will be sadly missed.

The last time I saw him on TV he didn't look well.

RIP Mel.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    How sad, I had no idea he was ill or that he died :(
    I loved Father Christmas when I was little and NTNoCN when I was older.
    RIP :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad news indeed. Mel was very talented in his own right and also encouraged and helped younger comedians/writers.

RIP Mel.

Gerald the Gorilla is my favourite sketch from Not the Nine O'clock News. Closely followed by the opera singer.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comedy genius is a very much overused phrase - but in this case, much deserved. Poor Man had been ill for years, hope he sleeps well.