JK Rowlings on being a single mum

alexjr2alexjr2 Posts: 74
Forum Member
JK Rowlings said today: “I am prouder of my years as a single mother than of any other part of my life”.

http://goo.gl/FIoUjN

This seem a very surprising thing for someone who have achieved so much in her life to confess, but I am not sure I believe her.

Comments

• Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well she'll be the only 'mun' so something no other person has been.:D
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course she's proud of it. That was the hardest time for her and she fought her way through it and out the other side.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alexjr2 wrote: »
    JK Rowlings said today: “I am prouder of my years as a single mother than of any other part of my life”.

This seem a very surprising thing for someone who have achieved so much in her life to confess, but I am not sure I believe her.

So you are calling her a liar?? :rolleyes: Confess? :rolleyes:
  • Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally get that. As I understand Harry Potter was born out of her being a single mum with no money writing the first book(s) in a cafe with her baby in tow. How hard must that have been? The day in day out slog with no expectation that what she was writing would even sell a few books, let alone the gazillions it has. She met have questioned numerous times whether she should have got a job that paid and you can bet that other family members and friends probably had their say too. All that with no one else to me home to at the end of the day to share the job of raising a child with. She basically made it happen through her own hard work, self motivation and belief. I'd probably be more proud of that than all the golden years after the books took off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course she's proud of it. That was the hardest time for her and she fought her way through it and out the other side.

Agreed.

My mum was/is a single mother who probably wasn't much better off than JKR before Harry Potter succeeded for her, and I know how hard it is. I think people have false perceptions of how easy mums have it when it comes to thinks like child benefit thanks to the media constantly attacking it. My mum was constantly making sacrifices so I could have new shoes for school and such, and I expect that's what it's like for the majority of single parents out there.

I like JKR a lot. She still comes across as very genuine.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the urban legend is that Harry Potter was only picked up by the publisher after a secretary randomly pulled it off a slush pile, so I suppose it's natural to wonder if she'd still have become a successful author if she hadn't have had that bit of luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Given that J K Rowling remains a fully trained jobbing waitress, she deserves all the credit she can muster for her proficiency as both a fully trained jobbing waitress and single mother. Sadly, of course, she remains an untrained author, and cannot really offer any competence on the issue of authoring any book.

Once she goes back to school, studies, achieves a few GCSE's under her belt, makes the grade for A Levels, etc etc, then after finishing College and University, and once she is accepted by a Publishing House where any writing that she offers is conducted under the supervision of a Professional Editor, then once she makes the grade, she may find that anyone who buys who books may respect her as a Professional Author.

But, until such time, J K Rowling will remain a fully skilled jobbing waitress.
  • Vodkafairy75Vodkafairy75 Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    DariaM wrote: »
    Given that J K Rowling remains a fully trained jobbing waitress, she deserves all the credit she can muster for her proficiency as both a fully trained jobbing waitress and single mother. Sadly, of course, she remains an untrained author, and cannot really offer any competence on the issue of authoring any book.

Once she goes back to school, studies, achieves a few GCSE's under her belt, makes the grade for A Levels, etc etc, then after finishing College and University, and once she is accepted by a Publishing House where any writing that she offers is conducted under the supervision of a Professional Editor, then once she makes the grade, she may find that anyone who buys who books may respect her as a Professional Author.

:yawn:
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member

Jealousy is such a negative emotion.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly ...well done JK Rowling for speaking up for single parents and telling how it really is.. Through no fault of my own I became a single parent and believe me it was no picnic..I didn't have the life of luxury the media are claiming those on benefits are having. It was bloody hard and some days I didn't eat because I couldn't afford to..but I made sure my son did...

Secondly DariaM
    I'm sure JK isn't losing any sleep about those missing qualifications
  • Brighton BhelleBrighton Bhelle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh dear. That's really quite nasty.:(

She does hell of a lot for charity and gives something back to society. I doubt many of us could do what she's done and rise from single mum on benefits to millionaire on the strength of a series of books. Writing takes talent and an ability to appeal to the public, qualities J.K obviously has. Her books aren't to my taste, but hey, whatever gets kids reading has to be a good thing.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not this rubbish again. You have a weird bee in your bonnet about JK - who is a graduate by the way, not a 'waitress', Whether you like her books or not is your business but she is a successful professional author whose books are adored by millions.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why surprising? Whats not to believe? Her experience as a single mother is what formed her and gave her the strength and outlook she has. Her success came out of that, as did her commitment to those who, like her, could have fallen through the net. And the fact she puts (so much of) her money where her mouth is as far as working with charities that support social inequality and poverty is surely evidence enough that it's a mission generated by her own experience as a single mother, and an ongoing big deal for her.

Everything she's done with her wealth shows her to be an extremely moral person with a genuine remit to make a difference.
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member

Wow bitchy ! JK has done more to get people reading in this country than all the Booker , Orange prize winners put together. The bitter , jealous vindictiveness of the Literati elite against her is really really sad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

FFS are you at this again? You have been told multiple times that she is not a jobbing waitress. She has been to University and got herself a good degree from Exeter. A BA in French and Classics. This more than qualifies her to be a writer.Do you even have any idea what that degree is about or the many books she will have had to read, and the multiple essays she will have had to produce? And you go on about her getting GCSEs and A levels, she's already got those! :mad::mad:How on earth do you think she managed to get to University, and a very good one without them?

Are you incapable of actually reading what people post in this forum? Or are you just out to cause trouble?She may have had to take on waitressing jobs but so what? Plenty of skilled people end up doing menial jobs when times are tough.

Seriously do some research, because you just end up making yourself look daft. :mad:
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    FFS are you at this again? You have been told multiple times that she is not a jobbing waitress. She has been to University and got herself a good degree from Exeter. A BA in French and Classics. This more than qualifies her to be a writer.Do you even have any idea what that degree is about or the many books she will have had to read, and the multiple essays she will have had to produce? And you go on about her getting GCSEs and A levels, she's already got those! :mad::mad:How on earth do you think she managed to get to University, and a very good one without them?

Are you incapable of actually reading what people post in this forum? Or are you just out to cause trouble?She may have had to take on waitressing jobs but so what? Plenty of skilled people end up doing menial jobs when times are tough.

Seriously do some research, because you just end up making yourself look daft. :mad:

DariaM please read ^^^^
  • Ruby94Ruby94 Posts: 186
    Forum Member

Oh dear, have you had another rejection letter?

You don't need A-levels or a degree to be a successful author. You need readers. And JKR had/has plenty of those, queueing round the block at midnight on publication day just to buy one of her books. She got kids back to reading for pleasure which, IMHO, is a huge achievement.

Maybe you can't see that because of the pain from all those sour grapes?
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, her success rate suggests otherwise. JK Rowling aside, there are several routes other than academia to becoming a successful, published author. As someone with three degrees (two higher), I can only wish for the success and determination JK Rowling has had. Also, 'professional' writing can be very dull, with all the life and creativity leached out of it. The literary world has many domains and these are built from different styles, formats and genres. Finally, as a writer, you've either got 'it' or you haven't. JK has 'it' in spades. Admittedly, her writing isn't to everyone's tastes but it has drawn in and enthralled millions, globally, which is something of an achievement, to say the least.

It would be a terrible shame if the only kinds of writing deemed 'professional' came out of universities. Some of the smartest people I know haven't been to uni.

As for the 'jobbing waitress' analogy, there is no shame in being a jobbing waitress. JK Rowling has perhaps been that and much, much more throughout her life.

Am full of admiration for the woman and what she has achieved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    She's proud to have made it through a troubled time...it's nothing unusual.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's proud to have made it through a troubled time...it's nothing unusual.

Exactly! That's all she was really saying.
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and she pays her bloody taxes without trying to scheme out of it.
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member

This quote doesn't make you sound the slightest bit clever despite your pompous ramblings. You don't even need formal qualifications to be a writer, just a good imagination and the ability to transfer it to paper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »
    and she pays her bloody taxes without trying to scheme out of it.

That self-indulgent prick Bono could take a leaf out of her book, as well as many others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CreamPuff wrote: »
    This quote doesn't make you sound the slightest bit clever despite your pompous ramblings. You don't even need formal qualifications to be a writer, just a good imagination and the ability to transfer it to paper.

Something which DariaM lacks. Peddling the same misinformed tripe wherever they go. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member

She created the best teenage/young persons series in YEARS. And made a total mint from it. She's a billionaire, (and if I remember correctly, richer than the royals) she might be an untrained author and I'm not claiming she's comparable to Austen but she's creative, clever and hardworking.

She has a degree, btw. In English if I'm not mistaken

, are you a troll? Or did Harry Potter not end with your favourite characters getting together in the epilogue?

I hope you're on wind up because if not....you need to relax...seriously, chill out dude.