Options

Sweetners

2»

Comments

• Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an out of control sweet tooth, and I know I probably eat far too much sugar. I have had people try to palm me off with sweeteners instead because they're "healthier" but then I can't eat/drink whatever it is because it's not sweet enough for me. So I guess it is healthier in a sense.... Either way I wouldn't buy sweeteners myself. I also hate it when someone puts one sweetener portion into a cup of tea thinking it's the equivalent of a spoon of sugar. No it's not.

I actually do have a problem with sugar which I'm working on in my own time. I don't think artificial sweeteners are the answer though! Horrible stuff imo!
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't generally use any. I have my coffee and tea unsweetened. I add cinammon and fruit to my porridge for flavour. The only cold drink I have (other than water) is orange squash, with no added sugar .I've just checked the label, it has sucralose.
    I do eat things like biscuits and chocolate (within reason) and obviouly they have sugar in. I also do a bit of baking now and again, and that also has sugar in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find sweeteners blow the tail of me, I have IBS and they set it off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I find sweeteners blow the tail of me, I have IBS and they set it off.

Yeah excessive quantities of some artificial sweeteners can case a laxative effect in the average consumer, so I would imagine much lower quantities can have that effect on someone with IBS.
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    I don't know why people still believe there are questions on the safety of aspartame.. The few studies that supposidly reported risks were proved to be flawed and the reliable research has never found any evidence of a significant health risk. The last publication from the European Food Standards Authority on Aspartame, published in 2013, collated the findings of all that research and concluded its safe.

It must be the most researched food additive in the history of nutrition.... and it has never been found to have a significant health risk at normal dosage levels.. Of course, if you were to down a barrel of it, then you will probably do yourself a mischief.

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/doc/3496.pdf

Some bedtime reading - enjoy!

Most of the research has been funded by the makers of the product!

I, for one, would be cautious about believing anything that a company responsible for producing Agent Orange for Vietnam and who was responsible for the Bhopal Chemical Gas Disaster in India - as Union Carbide Pesicide Co - said (although each time that they do something really inexcusable they re-emerge with a new name).
    But it does make some people feel ill. I know a few people who get ill when they have it.. I am fine with it but cannot drink a diet Pepsi without being really ill. :confused:
    I can drink diet Coke just not the Pepsi.

I used to drink Vodka and D-Coke and when you go into a pub that does not sell it they will just do you a D Pepsi instead. I cant tell by the taste, but cant tell within about half hour as I have to go home because of feeling so ill.
    So maybe aspartame affects some people like Pepsi affects me and they have read the bad stuff about it and put two and two together?

Exactly what the doctors and I did - eventually
    irishguy wrote: »
    Hmm.. maybe it just doesn't agree with you.. but it won't cause you any harm.,. at least not as much as fruit juices which contain similar levels of formaldehyde. Tomato juice has 3 times the level of formaldehyde than your average can of diet doke

The hysteria about it on some web sites is simply ridiculous... they blame it for everything from MS, cancer, alzheimers and gulf war syndrome!
    What health questions? Passed safe by nearly every major country in the world, the only people who have issues with it are generally nutjobs.

Well I'll stick to being one of those nutjobs and avoid it. After years of doctors trying to work out why I was getting blurred vision, anxiety, confusion and slurred speech (my speech was as though I was drunk even though all I'd had was a diet drink) aspartame was identified as the cause and since I eliminated EVERYTHING containing it - and it's in 1000s of things from medications to processed foods - I've been completely recovered.

There are far worse side effects too and it's not worth the risk.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    too_much_coffee;
    Well I'll stick to being one of those nutjobs and avoid it. After years of doctors trying to work out why I was getting blurred vision, anxiety, confusion and slurred speech (my speech was as though I was drunk even though all I'd had was a diet drink) aspartame was identified as the cause and since I eliminated EVERYTHING containing it - and it's in 1000s of things from medications to processed foods - I've been completely recovered.

The side effects of an allergic reaction to vitamin c are far worse.
    " You may notice tingling, itching or swelling in your face, lips or mouth. Skin rashes, hives and eczema are common reactions from a vitamin C allergy. Other symptoms may include asthma, sinus pressure, nasal congestion, shortness of breath, wheezing and sinus headaches. Your digestive system may react later with diarrhoea, vomiting, nausea and abdominal pain."

Maybe we should ban it. :cool:
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    too_much_coffee;

The side effects of an allergic reaction to vitamin c are far worse.

Maybe we should ban it. :cool:

There are alergic reactions to many things but ingesting a substance that was originally developed as a nerve poison is a little more serious than a short term reaction to a naturally occuring substance.

Many people suffer from hay fever but it rarely causes life threatening reactions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are alergic reactions to many things but ingesting a substance that was originally developed as a nerve poison is a little more serious than a short term reaction to a naturally occuring substance.

Many people suffer from hay fever but it rarely causes life threatening reactions.

I'm not sure what its original development has to do with the fact its not been proven to be dangerous at the recommended daily allowance.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I have yet to find one that doesn't leave a nasty taste in your mouth. Same with the diet drinks, and no added sugar products. I do not get on with them at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    I have yet to find one that doesn't leave a nasty taste in your mouth. Same with the diet drinks, and no added sugar products. I do not get on with them at all.

I think they're something I've adapted to (possibly because they're more common in things now) because I didn't like sweeteners atall when I was in my 20's.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I, for one, would be cautious about believing anything that a company responsible for producing Agent Orange for Vietnam and who was responsible for the Bhopal Chemical Gas Disaster in India - as Union Carbide Pesicide Co - said (although each time that they do something really inexcusable they re-emerge with a new name).

You question the integrity of the research referred to by another poster, then post a link to the website of the creator of the aspartame detox program, whose book, 'Sweet Poison: How the World's Most Popular Artificial Sweetener Is Killing Us' is available on Amazon for $19.99.

I have consumed aspartame, along with many other artificial sweeteners and have never noticed any side effects.

Here is an article from Science-Based Medicine website called Aspartame – Truth vs Fiction
    Conclusion from above article

Aspartame is a highly studied food additive with decades of research showing that it is safe for human consumption. As expected, the research is complex making it possible to cherry pick and misinterpret individual studies in order to fear monger. But the totality of research, reviewed by many independent agencies and expert panels, supports the safety of aspartame.

A conspiracy to hide the risks of aspartame, however, remains a popular internet urban legend that will likely not disappear anytime soon.

The contributors to this website are medical experts, so I will trust their conclusions.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually nothing, Tea & Coffee without any sweetener is really easy to get used to.

For cooking, and porridge, Blackstrap Molasses.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What sweetener do you use?
    My diabetic elderly father uses Hermesetas in tea, because he likes the see-through container where he can see exactly how many are left.

We don't have granulated sugar in the house and the rest of us don't use sweeteners either. We only have Caster Sugar for baking. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Canderel but only in tea and coffee
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Xylitol is a good sugar substitute, particularly if you're diabetic as it's also low GI. You can cook with it as well which also helps. :cool:
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member

Exactly what the doctors and I did - eventually

There is a difference between something being unsafe and you having an allergy to it though isn't there? Thousands of people have allergies to peanuts, it doesn't make them unsafe.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xylitol is a good sugar substitute, particularly if you're diabetic as it's also low GI. You can cook with it as well which also helps. :cool:

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol and sugar alcohols are the substitutes that produce the laxative effect. And they still raise blood sugar, unlike aspartame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which studies were funded by the industry and which were not? Who funded the studies that says aspartame is dangerous?

The facts

An 8-oz glass of milk has six times more phenylalanine and thirteen times more aspartic acid than an equivalent amount of soda sweetened with NutraSweet.

An 8-oz glass of fruit juice or tomato juice contains three to five times more methanol than an equivalent amount of soda sweetened with NutraSweet.

Aspartame has been studied extensively, since 1965, with approximately 200 studies conducted in humans and animals. The safety of aspartame has been well established. The results of these scientific studies have shown that eating products sweetened with aspartame is no different from eating other foods and is not associated with adverse health effects.

It is unfortunate that the Internet's remarkable capacity to transmit information means that it can also transmit misinformation widely and with lightning speed.

See our latest cookbooks and nutrition books at the Joslin Store.
    http://www.joslin.org/info/correcting_internet_myths_about_aspartame.html
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Xylitol is a sugar alcohol and sugar alcohols are the substitutes that produce the laxative effect. And they still raise blood sugar, unlike aspartame.
    Not entirely sure that is true - it's never raised mine.

http://authoritynutrition.com/4-healthy-natural-sweeteners/ :cool:
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I dont use any, I have never tasted anything that I like enough.

We dont use added sugar at home. I drink tea with no sugar. I Maybe have a coffee about once a week or so and will have 2 or 3 sugars in that.

We dont use a huge amount of processed things. We will for quickness sometimes use a lloyd Grossman curry sauce, that will have added sugar in. We eat a huge amount of fruit and veg which will have sugar in. We dont drink any pop or squashes. We dont eat bread. We dont eat pasta so dont make pasta sauces, (used to and used to add a pinch of sugar)

Come winter, we will be eating a lot more stewey/casserole type foods and I will probably go back to a pinch of sugar in my tomato based sauces. I also love a thai green curry and I put sugar in that, until the balance between the sugar and the fish sauce is perfect.

I cant think of any other foods we eat that risks having sugar in.

I'm the same...probably the only processed food I love is baked beans - but even a small tin contains about 2 teaspoons of sugar (around 10gr). Keep meaning to make my own one of these days.....
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sugar---->Sweeteners
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not entirely sure that is true - it's never raised mine.

http://authoritynutrition.com/4-healthy-natural-sweeteners/ :cool:

It might not be true for people who still produce their own insulin, but sugar alcohols are still a carbohydrate and carbohydrates affect blood sugar. I was taught that when calculating an insulin bolus I should include half the 'sugar' from the sugar alcohol.

I'm not saying xylitol isn't a good substitutes, just that it might not be for everyone as it can be hard to digest and it can raise blood sugar- especially in diabetics who are particularly carb sensitive.

http://www.joslin.org/info/what_are_sugar_alcohols.html