Options

Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely hate the word, but her timing and delivery of the word CXXT had be wetting myself! Think this is right up there with some of the best shows on TV.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diary_room wrote: »
    If this didn't have Gervais in it, everyone would be condemning it as one of the most annoying and unfunny comedies ever. In fact it wouldn't even have gotten made. His involvement and role as lead character makes people think 'it must be sort of good, mustn't it? It's got Ricky Gervais in it'.

gervais is an actor with very strict acting limitations ability.
    so he is nothing special, and to be perfectly frank,, not funny in my idea of comedy.. but i can watch the program .. maybe it would be better without gervais but a better actor taking part. which would not be hard to find.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really enjoying this, yes Hannah is a saint! people like that do actually exist in this world. I just love how well Ricky acts as Derek, you do forget you are watching Ricky Gervais..he really is very believable as the character, which is the sign of a good actor of course. Karl is just playing himself with a bad wig.

I like how the show is funny then sad, that's life you know. The funniest part in last weeks show was when Hannahs boyfriend brought the McDonalds in and Derek ran in all excited saying he could smell McDonalds, it was very funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gervais is an actor with very strict acting limitations ability.
    so he is nothing special, and to be perfectly frank,, not funny in my idea of comedy.. but i can watch the program .. maybe it would be better without gervais but a better actor taking part. which would not be hard to find.
    I think he is a good actor, it's just his personality in real life that puts people off him, he can act.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crabs are going to get written on all over the country now :p

and the bitchy woman was proper hot!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Hannah is a saint, nasty visitor, music montage, it really is the same every week and going nowhere, it's hard to believe this was made by the same guy as The Office, bring back Stephen Merchant.
    The snob character was very predictable and so were Hannah's thoughts and reactions to it.

I do think Kev was used better this episode and Vicki being back and her interaction with snob bitch was good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nikkiclody wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this, yes Hannah is a saint! people like that do actually exist in this world. I just love how well Ricky acts as Derek, you do forget you are watching Ricky Gervais..he really is very believable as the character, which is the sign of a good actor of course. Karl is just playing himself with a bad wig.
    I see Ricky Gervais playing a character. The rest of the main cast is much better. Even KP slots into his character better even though some of the rants are pure KP.
    I've seen Kerry Godliman in other roles and doing stand up and see fits and plays her character well.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writing on crabs makes me think of something out of the Ricky/Stephen/Karl podcasts. Also, you just know Gervais was screaming laughing behind the camera when Karl was getting seaweed thrown at him and falling on the beach! :D

I have loads of respect for Ricky using Radiohead again in this episode, this time the song Kid A.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gervais really makes you think, doesn't he?

He's a genius.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    "Do you play polo?"

Did I miss the scene where she lights a cigarette using a twenty pound note?
  • Options
    AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    Completely over the top villain to make you think "ISN'T HANNAH GREAT" yet again, three or four manipulative music montages (Coldplay, really?), Gervais slipping in and out of character (what IS Derek's character?), Kev doesn't want anyone to see his cock even though a few seconds earlier he was going to pee right in front of Dougie...not seeing the genius here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AA2009 wrote: »
    Completely over the top villain to make you think "ISN'T HANNAH GREAT" yet again, three or four manipulative music montages (Coldplay, really?), Gervais slipping in and out of character (what IS Derek's character?), Kev doesn't want anyone to see his cock even though a few seconds earlier he was going to pee right in front of Dougie...not seeing the genius here.

Me neither ;)
  • Options
    cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were a few really nice moments in this week's episode, but on the whole I agree with the posters saying it has a "by numbers" feel to it now: horrid baddie, Hanna saintly and devoted to her job, Kev ghastly and repulsive, Dougie fabulous from start to finish (could happily watch his character all day!)

I was appalled at the writing-on-crabs scene, especially as Ricky is such a big animal lover. Talk about putting ideas into people's heads...I just hope this doesn't inadvertently start a new craze on beaches all over the country.
    Completely over the top villain to make you think "ISN'T HANNAH GREAT" yet again, three or four manipulative music montages (Coldplay, really?), .

I was cringing at the OTT-ness of the daughter...there was no subtlety at all, just a series of cliched and unlikely snooty remarks to clobber us over the head with the fact that she was a BADDIE, in case we hadn't twigged. I said the same last week about the other Baddie Daughter (the one who wanted her mother's ring), who was similarly "by numbers" in her awfulness. This sort of thing is absolutely fine in a broad comedy like, say, Father Ted or The IT Crowd, when a character walks in and delivers a sequence of increasingly daft lines that show us how horrible they are and/or set up a comic situation. But for something like Derek, it was just too much.

I knew there would be a "F*** off Finchy" moment at the end (there always is) but I didn't anticipate it coming from Hannah, and I didn't think it worked at all. I felt the C word was just used because we needed something "bigger" than "F off", and the impact would be greater coming from a lovely (and female) character like Hannah. But would a woman like Hannah really use this word like this? As an insult? About another woman? It really jars with me when I see this (I remember SATC did something similar in the very last episode when Samantha suddenly called Carrie a C, and it jarred then too....Again, it smacked of "Hmm, we've got to pull something really huge out of the hat here to end on a good payoff...Ah! I know...let's bring out That Word!")

Worth watching for Dougie, though. Karl P is terrific, week after week. There's something in his facial expression when he's being exasperated by those around him, but at the same time indulgent and tolerant....it's lovely to watch.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Hannah is a saint, nasty visitor, music montage, it really is the same every week and going nowhere, it's hard to believe this was made by the same guy as The Office, bring back Stephen Merchant.
    You'll be looking forward to the upcoming Life's Too Short special then? Bet that'll be a masterpiece.
  • Options
    LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never seen a crab on Broadstairs beach, they must have bought them in for the filming.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it was sh*t , I'm starting to wonder if ths whole thing is just a dare .
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nikkiclody wrote: »
    I think he is a good actor, it's just his personality in real life that puts people off him, he can act.

I appreciate you thoughts, and i am glad you like Ricky.But we are all different in our idea of what is a good actor.
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    underwhelming episode but...can't really comment on it. There's not much that happened lol.

Correct analysis. Facebook point and materialistic uncaring daughter aside, still repeating much that has been established.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    I'm still watching it, but there's so many flaws in this it's ridiculous.

Much of it uses the same style as Office/Extras - the kind of subtle rudeness and other personality flaws in people exaggerated for comic effect. This is the same,except they've exaggerated it so much that it's not even funny. Surely you should make it less exaggerated than the stuff made over a decade ago?

Yes Hannah is a silent hero, we get it. We got it loud and clear in episode 1. We don't need further reminding 4 episodes in with mundane lines like "Those urinals aren't gonna clean themselves".

Much of it's just the same, as someone else said, I can't believe they did the uncaring materialistic daughter thing 2 episodes in a row.

The thing that concerns me most is that I'm starting to think Karl Pilkington is largely a scripted character. All of his lines are EXACTLY the kind of thing Karl would say, so who has written this? The same person that writes Karl Pilkingtons lines, even if he writes them himself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fred5444 wrote: »
    The thing that concerns me most is that I'm starting to think Karl Pilkington is largely a scripted character. All of his lines are EXACTLY the kind of thing Karl would say, so who has written this? The same person that writes Karl Pilkingtons lines, even if he writes them himself.

You do realise Ricky has been making jokes off the back of things Karl has said over the past ten years. :rolleyes:
    Karl once said Paralympics should include swing ball for those in wheelchairs. A scene in Derek last night had Karl play swing ball with an old guy in a wheelchair.
    Ricky in his Politics stand up once joked that the army would have heard Anne Frank. Karl said that years before on FXM.

Karl is not scripted, he is probably one of the reasons for Ricky and Steve's success. Karl isn't playing a character, he's playing himself with a different name. Hardly a stretch but he is the best thing in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member

Thing is, Ricky's known Karl for a long time, and the character was written specifically for Karl so a lot of the dialogue IS the kind of thing Karl would say - Ricky's had several years of research/exposure to Karl to know how to write for him. Given that Karl's not a trained actor, it made sense to keep the character of Dougie close to Karl's real personality.

I'm really enjoying the show - it's not perfect by any means, but it's a nice warming mid-week half hour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm still watching it, but there's so many flaws in this it's ridiculous.

Much of it uses the same style as Office/Extras - the kind of subtle rudeness and other personality flaws in people exaggerated for comic effect. This is the same,except they've exaggerated it so much that it's not even funny. Surely you should make it less exaggerated than the stuff made over a decade ago?

Yes Hannah is a silent hero, we get it. We got it loud and clear in episode 1. We don't need further reminding 4 episodes in with mundane lines like "Those urinals aren't gonna clean themselves".

Much of it's just the same, as someone else said, I can't believe they did the uncaring materialistic daughter thing 2 episodes in a row.

I did wonder if the episodes were filmed in order.
    It may be me reading more into it as was there but I though Derek had enhanced ticks in last night's episode.
    Was it because the earlier filmed episodes the ticks were acted in a more pronounced way?
    Was it deliberate because Derek was excited to be on an outing?
    Was it there at all? :D

It would also count for the baddie daughter in two episodes running.
    Saying that though, why would they choose to schedule those two back to back as it has been picked up on by a few people.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I am having a love hate relationship with this programme.

Not sure what I think of it :confused:
  • Options
    cuzacuza Posts: 1,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it. I've liked everything Ricky has done. Including Life's Too Short.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    there's a lot of hate on this forum for Derek... i don't really get it..if you don't like the characters, or don't like the humour..then why watch it?
    personally i'm a massive Pilko fan.. loved the scene in the sea last night, classic.
    It's definitely getting better, wasn't 100% sure if i was going to continue watching it after the first two episodes, but i'm glad i did..

Dougie - "Look at em...using crabs as post-it notes"..