Options

John Foxx - Where To Start?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
Forum Member
was never taken by Underpass but stumbled across some of his more recent work with The Maths and was rather surprised. Think I might invest in some of his albums, anyone got any recommendations.

Comments

• Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a fan but Ultravox's 'Systems of Romance' is one of my favourite albums and Foxx had a hand in all the writing. It's also reckoned to be a major influence on Gary Numan and other electropop people.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Ooooh, now there's a blast from the past. Didn't realise he was still on the go. I saw him when he was still with Ultravox, at Newcastle Mayfair. The 'hairies' (as we punks used to call them) up on the balcony were throwing stuff at the stage (as they did with all the punkier acts) & he got hit on the head by a bottle or glass. He then stood, with blood pouring down his face & dedicated Young Savage to them. :D

Cool guy :cool:

This song shows the direction Ultravox were heading in - Hiroshima Mon Amour from 1977. (spot the Roxy Music influence)
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Foxx is supporting OMD on their forthcoming UK tour, which is an unexpected and welcome bonus.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Ooooh, now there's a blast from the past. Didn't realise he was still on the go. I saw him when he was still with Ultravox, at Newcastle Mayfair. The 'hairies' (as we punks used to call them) up on the balcony were throwing stuff at the stage (as they did with all the punkier acts) & he got hit on the head by a bottle or glass. He then stood, with blood pouring down his face & dedicated Young Savage to them. :D

Cool guy :cool:

This song shows the direction Ultravox were heading in - Hiroshima Mon Amour from 1977. (spot the Roxy Music influence)

Brave or foolish guy...I like 'Slow Motion' and 'When you Walk Through Me' from 'Systems of Romance'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally the only album of his I own is mirrorball, which I think is probably quite different from the stuff you're thinking about?
    I'll have to give John Foxx and the maths a listen though.

Anyway Mirrorball is more dreamy/ambient stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKH_J03NMJM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    starfoxxx wrote: »
    Personally the only album of his I own is mirrorball, which I think is probably quite different from the stuff you're thinking about?
    I'll have to give John Foxx and the maths a listen though.

Anyway Mirrorball is more dreamy/ambient stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKH_J03NMJM

I gave Underpass another go and it has got a Warm Leatherette kinda charm, dunno what the rest of his early stuff is like but apparently there's 45 albums out there, ranging from everything from experimental analog synth stuff to synthesized choral music.
    Anyway, thought I'd start with the John Foxx and the Maths stuff first, since I really liked what I've heard of Interplay, The Shape of Things and Evidence and work my way backwards.
    I did see Mirrorball listed on ebay and considered it but think I'll check it out first before I go ahead and buy it, since his cds are rarely cheap.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metamatic and The Garden are his undisputed masterpieces. Aside from In Mysterious Ways he has rarely put a foot wrong.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As well as Underpass, he had a few other minor hits. One I liked was Burning Car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XZfL_As4Oo
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    underpass? .... i thought it was underpants !

;)
  • Options
    devo livedevo live Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Metamatic from me. This bonus track is a great dark instrumental.

Film One
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I finally got around to buying Metamatic and The Garden. There's a wonderfully creepy video for Film One on the Roundhouse DVD.

I see he's got a new Best of coming out, think I might get me a copy.

http://johnfoxx.tmstor.es/index.php?page=products&section=CDs
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metamatic is timeless