Options

EE Why did Denise call him Dean?

TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are the Eastenders writers trying to pretend that Dean was never called Deano? The Carters know him as Dean but surely Denise would've called him Deano tonight since that's what he was called the last time she saw him. .:confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Didn't you watch fridays when shirley was buying the vodka in the shop, she told denise and shabnam that dean was back, shabnam said "deano?" Shirley snapped no i said dean.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't you watch fridays when shirley was buying the vodka in the shop, she told denise and shabnam that dean was back, shabnam said "deano?" Shirley snapped no i said dean.

Nice catch.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TLC1098 wrote: »
    Are the Eastenders writers trying to pretend that Dean was never called Deano? The Carters know him as Dean but surely Denise would've called him Deano tonight since that's what he was called the last time she saw him. .:confused:

Why would she call him Deano? She was married to his dad and his dad always called him Dean.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Why would she call him Deano? She was married to his dad and his dad always called him Dean.

Because that's what she and everyone called him. Only his parents referred to him as his regular name. Hence Shirley corrected Shabnam in the Minute Mart.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member

Everyone called him Deano back then.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

^ This.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Because that's what she and everyone called him. Only his parents referred to him as his regular name. Hence Shirley corrected Shabnam in the Minute Mart.
    His dad always called him Dean.
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    Everyone called him Deano back then.

I didn't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His dad always called him Dean.

:confused: Hence why I said "his parents". His dad is his parent, yes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    :confused: Hence why I said "his parents". His dad is his parent, yes?

Denise was married to his dad...Yes ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deano was a nickname. Denise called him Dean because he is called Dean.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    gmc93 wrote: »
    Deano was a nickname. Denise called him Dean because he is called Dean.

But she used to call him Deano. Only Kevin and sometimes Shirley called him Dean.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to call him "why is anybody remotely interested in this bland waste of space?"

I think the move from Deano to Dean is to make him more grown up and a bad boy but it is all a bit forced.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will point out that Denise has been in regular (well semi regular) contact with Carly over the years as we found out when she came back briefly. So if Carly has also been in contact with Dean then she might have passed on to Denise that he prefers to go by Dean now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Will point out that Denise has been in regular (well semi regular) contact with Carly over the years as we found out when she came back briefly. So if Carly has also been in contact with Dean then she might have passed on to Denise that he prefers to go by Dean now.

But failed to pass on to Dean that Pat was dead?
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I reckon if Denise left a message for Dean back when Pat died, maybe he never got it? Also, maybe Carly and Dean aren't as close as we think.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Stan told Shirley that he had dropped the 'O' and in the minute mart, when Shabnam called him 'Deano', Shirley corrected her, Denise was there. Though I think it's more plausible that he sent out an memo before is return. haha
  • Options
    Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    Stan told Shirley that he had dropped the 'O' and in the minute mart, when Shabnam called him 'Deano', Shirley corrected her, Denise was there. Though I think it's more plausible that he sent out an memo before is return. haha

Indeed. It's worth bearing in mind too that not every second of each characters day is shown on screen & after Stan told Shirley about Dean not wanting to be known as Deano anymore it's the kind of conversation that Shirley and Denise may have had 'offscreen' (ie something that they would likely have chatted about but not worth showing in a scene).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise was married to his dad...Yes ?

But she was never his "parent" and always called him Deano. The same as everyone else bar Kevin and Shirley.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But she was never his "parent" and always called him Deano. The same as everyone else bar Kevin and Shirley.

Maybe she acknowledged that he is now a fully grown man and felt embarrassed calling him by a silly childish nickname, so instead chose to address him by his proper name.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    But she used to call him Deano. Only Kevin and sometimes Shirley called him Dean.

Carly called him Dean from time to time as well and Denise used to be their step-mother (sort of) so I don't think it's that unrealistic that she would call him Dean. It is his real name after all.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As thats his name, would have been daft if she called him Bob, Frank, Willie or something :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she acknowledged that he is now a fully grown man and felt embarrassed calling him by a silly childish nickname, so instead chose to address him by his proper name.

Which has nothing to do with my post, but thanks anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    nicluc wrote: »

I may well be wrong but I don't recall Dean ever having a one to one with Pat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    nicluc wrote: »

I may well be wrong but I don't recall Dean ever having a one to one with Pat.

If Kevin called him Dean, why would his wife call him anything different?
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't think it matters.