Options

Could major league soccer become bigger than the prem?

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone see a day when major league soccer could become bigger than the premiership or even European football?

Now that soccer/football is enjoying a little bit of increase in popularity over in america could this be the time when Americans finally take soccer/football to their heart's?

I know that they have had numerous attempts at making football/soccer huge over there when pele, Beckenbauer and others went over in the 70s at new York cosmos.

Becks was at galaxy for a few year and Henry is still there but it still hasn't picked up in a massive way, the game has increased in popularity but not to the dizzying highs that the money men would have wanted.

With beckham soon to own a club and man city's involvement with new York City and the popularity of the national team at the world cup, could this be the time for football/ soccer to finally be one huge?

With all the money the Americans have if football/soccer did take off over there I could see a day when the world's best players don't just go over to end their career with a big paycheck but to go over for the prime of their careers and earn huge wages.

If it was to happen I think it could be pretty damaging to English, Spanish and the German football leagues as the world's best would leave and head over the ocean.

One good thing is it might mean English sides have to rely on English players which would benefit our national team

Comments

• Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that they need to sort out is the relationship between MLS and the NASL, they don't have the best of business relationships.

I think it would be good if they could get more people watching and playing club level football, but it is going to be as huge ask, as the rival sports will do everything in their power to stop that from happening.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

(extra characters)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    No.

(extra characters)

Don't go over the top with your answer mate, you didn't need to go into that much detail :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was really just to emphasise the point. I think and hope the MLS continues to grow and thrive, but culturally it'll never be the sport in the USA and will never compete on that scale with European leagues.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not in this country.

In a few years time, the USA will have their own World cup with only the USA and Canada allowed to enter.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They need to get rid of the silly playoff system they have in MLS. Back in 2012, LA Galaxy were the 8th best team in the league phase, but ended up becoming champions after winning the playoffs.

10 out of the 19 teams qualify for the playoffs, meaning it's easier to qualify than not.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    cant see it tbh

too much competition from the established sports

the national teams get a lot of support but I think that's as much because of the gung ho patriotism you find in the US as anything else , I don't think they have the same level of support at club level but happy to be proved wrong
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's growing in that respect, some teams enjoy very good support.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I read something about skewed attendance records. (Slightly different to support).

The soccerball can get decent attendances because they play in massive stadiums.

Ice Hockey is limited to the size of the arenas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They need to get rid of the silly playoff system they have in MLS. Back in 2012, LA Galaxy were the 8th best team in the league phase, but ended up becoming champions after winning the playoffs.

10 out of the 19 teams qualify for the playoffs, meaning it's easier to qualify than not.

The playoffs that they have are ludicrous to say the least, at least In the championship over here its not a playoff for the title
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I read something about skewed attendance records. (Slightly different to support).

The soccerball can get decent attendances because they play in massive stadiums.

Ice Hockey is limited to the size of the arenas.

Seattle regular get nearly 50,000 which isn't too shabby really, but then others don't do so well, I guess similar things could have been said about this country when Wigan were in the Premier League.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah cant see it
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was really just to emphasise the point. I think and hope the MLS continues to grow and thrive, but culturally it'll never be the sport in the USA and will never compete on that scale with European leagues.

That's the thing - it'll never ever become as big as NFL, MLB, NBA etc. Certain areas of the US really have taken to it (Florida being one place where it thrives) but then you go to other parts of the country and they wouldn't have a clue who or what it was!

In TV terms, NBC had the 3 most watched months on US cable TV for Premier League coverage last year but the averages were 476k (February), 442k (March) and 414k (January) respectively... for a country the size of America, those are poor figures.

In comparison, cable TV figures for the NFL last season were 13.6m while the free-to-air coverage got between 18-21m viewers.... basically, the Premier League is light years behind their other sports in terms of popularity!
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

(extra characters)

:D

wish I'd thought of that!

to the answer the OP's questions, no way (<<<bit more detail!)
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, though if it did I think it would be quite funny. For years over here in England we have berated the yanks for not loving "soccer," but if they did I have no doubt what-so-ever there would be so much money in their game they would eclipse any spending our clubs or even Real Madrid, Barca and co. could muster. They'd suck up all the best players in the world and our Premier League and no doubt then start breading their own players to a higher standard than anyone else and become a dominant force at World Cups too. The English Premier League would subsequently be relegated to a B league. Wouldn't we all then be glad at how we kept trying to get them into it then?

However that wont ever happen because despite what the propaganda might like to tell us "soccer" has got a long, long, long way to go before its at NFL levels of popularity.

I think the thing that's really pushed to the upswing in popularity over there (aside from the popularity with the growing Latino immigrant community) is the big controversy that came about former NFL players having severe brain damage after years of playing and the NFL trying to cover it up. That has made some Americans, including President Obama, openly start to push it as a safer alternative sport to the barbaric NFL.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    For the kids who are athletic but either don't like or aren't good enough for American Football, Baseball, Basketball etc. the Soccer is another option - especially if they setup a collegiate system and scholarships.

If they're half decent and the MLS still isn't great then they can hop over to Europe and probably make a decent wage.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too segregated from the rest of the world. Would love to see the champions league that allowed teams from the rest of world not just europe. At the moment MLS seems to be the place players from over here go before they retire.
  • Options
    InsaniumInsanium Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    what about the J league?
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Too segregated from the rest of the world. Would love to see the champions league that allowed teams from the rest of world not just europe. At the moment MLS seems to be the place players from over here go before they retire.

Well, there is the Club World Cup. In this country there's only one team that's ever bothered with it but they don't matter. No-one that matters cares about them.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Yes. Anything could happen in the future (eventually). Maybe all possible things eventually happen if you can only wait long enough whether it's 50 years or 1000.

A couple of things would help. An international title and a superstar American player.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Insanium wrote: »
    what about the J league?
    I heard a radio report earlier this year that the Chinese FA has ambitions to make its league one of the most powerful in the world. It's already started with the occasional signing of top players at the end of their careers. There's a lot more to come apparently and unlike the Americans, the Chinese on the whole really love football.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I can see that possibly happening one day.

Players will always follow the money and I certainly can envisage a future where the American league would have more than anyone else in several decades time. Not saying it will happen, mind, just that it could.
  • Options
    madanglianmadanglian Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll never be really big in the USA because no major TV networks want to go 45 minutes without a commercial break ;)
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madanglian wrote: »
    It'll never be really big in the USA because no major TV networks want to go 45 minutes without a commercial break ;)

That's actually a really good and relevant point! No doubt they'd try to work some sort of TV timeout into it like they do for the NFL! Even on screen now during football matches they work in loads of adverts clogging up the screen while it's in play :o
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »
    That's the thing - it'll never ever become as big as NFL, MLB, NBA etc. Certain areas of the US really have taken to it (Florida being one place where it thrives) but then you go to other parts of the country and they wouldn't have a clue who or what it was!

In TV terms, NBC had the 3 most watched months on US cable TV for Premier League coverage last year but the averages were 476k (February), 442k (March) and 414k (January) respectively... for a country the size of America, those are poor figures.

In comparison, cable TV figures for the NFL last season were 13.6m while the free-to-air coverage got between 18-21m viewers.... basically, the Premier League is light years behind their other sports in terms of popularity!

Slight skewed by the fact that most premier league matches kick off before midday eastern time in the US (and even earlier on the west coast) whilst NFL of course kicks in more prime time slots for the big matches.