Options

The 'lad' on the Paris Hilton Show...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,259
    Forum Member
    The Squire wrote: »
    What, you think he's not putting himself somewhere where people are going to have an opinion about his behaviour?

You are basing your opinions on his sexuality or what you think it to be and nothing more. He has done nothing outrageous on the show (yes I have seen it), and nothing that would single him out from the girls. What is this behaviour exactly?

To be honest as a parent I would be questioning my son or daughters as to why they felt the need to be Paris's best friend in the first place, but not because of what their sexual prefrences are.
  • Options
    sloe_ginsloe_gin Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    No he's not what I would call stereotypical, he's what the media want you to believe is acceptable in this day & age. The fact of the matter is that it isn't & it's one of the reasons this country is a laughing stock....
    If you dont get why I am talking about his parents you dont understand........fair enough, there's a lot like you these days, You are taught that it's ok for the entire population to knock about & not know whether they are Arthur or Marthur. Some people look a bit deeper than just accepting it though & still (even in this pc age) have the bottle to say when they think something is wrong.....There's a bloke earlier saying it's alright for them to have kids!!! How??
    (bet you all think Turkey basters are alright in those instances yet insist on organic Turkey LMFAO) You're all for the rights of these people to have children, but give scant regard for the children saddled with 'gay' parents & the hammerings they are going to get at school (because you can paint your world any colour you want, you wont alter kids my friend!)

It's not about who (or even what) he sleeps with (although I personally think he's too hyper to sleep anyway) it's about him, making an utter, utter cartoon of himself on television & the embarrasment that must cause his folks.....and yes, part of that (shock horror) is the FACT that whether he likes it or not, he is a MALE of the species, not a girl, or a big girls blouse, he's a male....& there ought to be acceptable limits. Never mind his sexuality.

It's good to see all you 'kill the homophobe' people getting on your hind legs though :D

I don't exactly understand how your comments aren't homophobic, although I've genuinely tried to read them with an open mind. Do you have a problem specifically with campness and effeminacy, as opposed to two people of the same sex who just happen to fall in love? If so, comments like him being "a big girls blouse" don't really articulate this in an eloquent manner, and are uncomfortably close to some of the taunts which many kids face in the playground every single day. Would your post be the same if he was still camp and effeminate, but slept with girls?
  • Options
    Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    No they're not.
    You'd expect this sort of twaddle from vacuous lasses,?

So vacuous is only a female characteristic is it?
    Would you tell your friends he was 'going to be on the telly' ?

Wouldn't be paticularly proud of it, no. But to repeat the point the same would apply to any of the people (male or female) on this tacky show.
  • Options
    PrairePraire Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm reading this thread correctly, The_Squire is singling out the gay guy because he acts camp? That correct?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they're not.
    You'd expect this sort of twaddle from vacuous lasses, but come on, put yourself in the position of that lads folks. Would you tell your friends he was 'going to be on the telly' ?
    If you were the sort of person to tell people that your child was going to be on tv, why not tell them about this, & maybe have a bit of a discreet laugh about it if you don't rate the show and/or Paris? If people ask questions about the show & you want to be diplomatic, there's no harm in saying that you've never seen it & don't know much about Paris, so you'll be watching to see what it's about. It's not very likely that the way he is on tv is going to be any kind of surprise to them - we're not talking Craig & "Anfoneeee!" here. :D

I think the show's utter rubbish, but there are worse things he could be doing on tv. Think of all those parents who told people about their offspring going on shows like X Factor, & then had to deal with them not just not getting through, but clips of them being used for public amusement nationwide. As if that's not bad enough, the release they've signed means they could be appearing in "how to shame yourself" clips for years to come - at least he won't be suffering that indignity. :D

Do you have this sort of reaction to the guy who plays Sean in Corrie, & spends his day sewing undies?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but you've given it your best shot at making out this is some homophobic rant.
    It is anything but that......
    But would you aspire to have your kids mincing about like tis fool is, 'designing' an outfit & sucking up to one of the most vacuous women aver to walk the planet.....Put yourself in the parents position for Gods sake, instead of being so frightened of not appearing 'right on'
    As far as I am aware, there are plenty of gay people in this country, that dont feel the need to 'ram it down peoples throats' to this extent?

Ram it down peoples throats? Nice!

I'm straight, I tell everyone I'm straight, I fancy men, I flirt with men, I suppose that is me "ramming" my sexuality "down peoples throats" too - or is it only a problem if the sexuality in question is homosexual?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ram it down peoples throats? Nice!

I'm straight, I tell everyone I'm straight, I fancy men, I flirt with men, I suppose that is me "ramming" my sexuality "down peoples throats" too - or is it only a problem if the sexuality in question is homosexual?

I dont remember him flirting with anyone?
    What's your point Bet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,259
    Forum Member
    What's your point Bet?

We're still trying to establish yours!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's your point Bet?
    My point is, how is he ramming his sexuality down your throat, squire!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're still trying to establish yours!

What I was trying to say (admittedly pretty badly - I have an excuse, I was watching some bacon & trying not to burn it - sorry in advance to any veggies btw) was that I am pretty darn sure his parents (as plenty of other parents of gay offspring also are) will have been as loving & supportive as possible all through his life, not just this bit where he's on the box......You know, during the real stuff, when he's come home in tears from school, when he's been beaten up etc...
    Now dont you think (blinkers off here folks) that maybe (just maybe) he might have felt that this 'act' is not really what they'd want their friends to see & he might (just might) have considered this & declined to go on a show where he is only ticking a box for the production team anyway.....They will be ACUTELY aware of the 'pink pound' & Paris (&her people) will never rule a powerful spending group out of her little circle of buyers...
    The whole 'out & proud' concept is flawed, because like a lot of other 'lifestyle choices' these days, it's all extremely selfish & thrusts peoples sexuality into other peoples faces whether it suits them or not.
    The lad's parents are the ones who have to put up with the snidey comments behind their backs etc often from 'friends' relatives or workmates & the like & anyone who thinks that doesn't go on simply isnt living in the real world....Why couldn't he save em from this & not do the show and let them get someone else to exploit.
    I'd guess his folks will be about fortyish, maybe the sort of age where they are accepting (grudgingly?) of it? How old will that make his grandparents? Seventy?
    Will they be telling everyone about it?
    I'm forty one. I have a friend aged 46. Her son is gay. If you had seen what she has been through with him (& she loves him without question & rightly so, he's a terrific lad) you might understand where I am coming from with this. The media paint a champagne & roses lifestyle picture regarding 'gay culture' in reality it's very very tough for them & it's something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. But if it makes you feel more 'right on' keep shouting "you go girlfriend" at the telly when someone like this is on. The media will love you, but you wont be doing anyone with real issues in life to face any favours at all.......

I will make it doubly clear, I do not care one jot who, or what this lad sleeps with. I just think the presence of a bloke on a show like this just adds nothing to the show & is merely exploitative. Which is probably what I should have just said to start with.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they're not.
    You'd expect this sort of twaddle from vacuous lasses, but come on, put yourself in the position of that lads folks. Would you tell your friends he was 'going to be on the telly' ?

You sound like somebody from the early 20th century. Like you've only just discovered people like this man exist :confused: Have you never encountered any men who do not just go to the office, down the pub with their mates to have a pint, then off to bed with the missus? This guy may act different to what you are used to in your perfect neat little world, but as long as he doesn't hurt anybody or act like a total bastard (as you do), then I'd rather be around him than you.
    The guy is obviously playing a characterture, like most of the other contestants are, and I expect in real life he is more relaxed. I do not doubt that he is portraying close to his real personality, as I know a few guys who act similar, but in my experience the guys who act this way are usually some of the most intelligent men out there (I think there was some study done that showed gay men have a higher IQ on average than straight men.). He is not what is "destroying society" as I'm sure you would put it, he is just living his life how he wants to, and not hurting anyone, except sensitive little souls like you. And when it comes down to it, I'm sure he has a darn sight more fun than you do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the explanation.

Would you like to borrow my shovel?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering why the OP watched a show about Paris Hilton in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You sound like somebody from the early 20th century. Like you've only just discovered people like this man exist :confused: Have you never encountered any men who do not just go to the office, down the pub with their mates to have a pint, then off to bed with the missus? This guy may act different to what you are used to in your perfect neat little world, but as long as he doesn't hurt anybody or act like a total bastard (as you do), then I'd rather be around him than you.
    The guy is obviously playing a characterture, like most of the other contestants are, and I expect in real life he is more relaxed. I do not doubt that he is portraying close to his real personality, as I know a few guys who act similar, but in my experience the guys who act this way are usually some of the most intelligent men out there (I think there was some study done that showed gay men have a higher IQ on average than straight men.). He is not what is "destroying society" as I'm sure you would put it, he is just living his life how he wants to, and not hurting anyone, except sensitive little souls like you. And when it comes down to it, I'm sure he has a darn sight more fun than you do.

Oh that's just beautiful sweetheart.......Do you work in the media Hun? You've been saving that little diatribe up for a long time haven't you?
    Especially like the "He is not what is "destroying society" as I'm sure you would put it" (you 'right on types can all make assumptions when it suits you eh? - along with calling people bastards eh nice again)
  • Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    No he's not what I would call stereotypical, he's what the media want you to believe is acceptable in this day & age. The fact of the matter is that it isn't & it's one of the reasons this country is a laughing stock....
    If you dont get why I am talking about his parents you dont understand........fair enough, there's a lot like you these days, You are taught that it's ok for the entire population to knock about & not know whether they are Arthur or Marthur. Some people look a bit deeper than just accepting it though & still (even in this pc age) have the bottle to say when they think something is wrong.....There's a bloke earlier saying it's alright for them to have kids!!! How??
    (bet you all think Turkey basters are alright in those instances yet insist on organic Turkey LMFAO) You're all for the rights of these people to have children, but give scant regard for the children saddled with 'gay' parents & the hammerings they are going to get at school (because you can paint your world any colour you want, you wont alter kids my friend!)

It's not about who (or even what) he sleeps with (although I personally think he's too hyper to sleep anyway) it's about him, making an utter, utter cartoon of himself on television & the embarrasment that must cause his folks.....and yes, part of that (shock horror) is the FACT that whether he likes it or not, he is a MALE of the species, not a girl, or a big girls blouse, he's a male....& there ought to be acceptable limits. Never mind his sexuality.

It's good to see all you 'kill the homophobe' people getting on your hind legs though :D

First of all, he is a very stereotypical gay man - someone who is a bit 'floppy hands', minces around a bit, has an effeminite twang to their speech and likes celebrities - he might read Heat magazine as if it were the bible!. If he was a hairdresser or a trolley dolly then that would prove my point even further, but since I don't know what his occupation was then I can't comment in that area - as a gay person myself I can assure you not all gay men are like him. Many gay men do go to football matches, go fishing and go to pubs to drink pints - which are things stereotypically associated with 'butch' men.

It's very insulting to this man to say he should feel ashamed of himself by being who he is, taking part in a TV show where he has to do tasks like dress-making and whatnot. It's also very insulting to his parents to say they should be ashamed of him as well - I'm sure they are extremely proud of their son for having the balls to come out in a world where people want to put you down over things that are not even their business.

Edit: Having only seen your earlier post explaining yourself just now - the one where you mentioned how his relatives would feel about comments from others and how selfish he was being... well tough! He shouldn't have to supress himself in any way just because a few idiots make a few snide comments and I'm sure his loved ones would all agree they'd rather put up with them if it meant he wasn't suffering and was being forced to be someone else.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In cave man times, even the effeminate homosexuals would still have been expected to muck in with running around spearing buffalo and so on. I'm guessing that's partly the point being made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First of all, he is a very stereotypical gay man - someone who is a bit 'floppy hands', minces around a bit, has an effeminite twang to their speech and likes celebrities - he might read Heat magazine as if it were the bible!. If he was a hairdresser or a trolley dolly then that would prove my point even further, but since I don't know what his occupation was then I can't comment in that area - as a gay person myself I can assure you not all gay men are like him. Many gay men do go to football matches, go fishing and go to pubs to drink pints - which are things stereotypically associated with 'butch' men.

It's very insulting to this man to say he should feel ashamed of himself by being who he is, taking part in a TV show where he has to do tasks like dress-making and whatnot. It's also very insulting to his parents to say they should be ashamed of him as well - I'm sure they are extremely proud of their son for having the balls to come out in a world where people want to put you down over things that are not even their business.

That's the point.........I'm not saying they SHOULD be ashamed of him, far from it.
    Maybe I'm not saying it very well, but I am trying to say that alright he's come out, or whatever, but give em a break, they've in all probability been through a lot with him & now this........It's going to get them/him talked about, isn't it, you know it, I know it, probably even Pink Daimonds knows it......Why put something else on em?
    You know, it's just sometimes little things when you pay your parents back for the support they give you over the years. Sometimes they dont even need to know that you've done something, you just do it & it makes their life easier than it might have been had you not done it......You get me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the point.........I'm not saying they SHOULD be ashamed of him, far from it.
    Maybe I'm not saying it very well, but I am trying to say that alright he's come out, or whatever, but give em a break, they've in all probability been through a lot with him & now this........It's going to get them/him talked about, isn't it, you know it, I know it, probably even Pink Daimonds knows it......Why put something else on em?
    You know, it's just sometimes little things when you pay your parents back for the support they give you over the years. Sometimes they dont even need to know that you've done something, you just do it & it makes their life easier than it might have been had you not done it......You get me?

Have you ever thought they may think "that's our son, we made him, we love him and we're proud of everything he is and everything he does"

No, I guess not
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you ever thought they may think "that's our son, we made him, we love him and we're proud of everything he is and everything he does"

No, I guess not

Yes Bet & maybe they live next door to you in Disneyland?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Bet & maybe they live next door to you in Disneyland?

I don't live in Disneyland you ignorant deluded fool!

I just happen to have a gay son who I would love and support through any choice he makes and would never feel that he is "embarrassing me"

and you claim to be 41 - I think it is you who is living in Disneyland my friend
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But no loving and caring parent will even think 'hold on, I don't want my son doing this because the idiots will say something to me'. No parent should ever expect their child to hide away in fear... That would be selfish now, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't live in Disneyland you ignorant deluded fool!

I just happen to have a gay son who I would love and support through any choice he makes and would never feel that he is "embarrassing me"

and you claim to be 41 - I think it is you who is living in Disneyland my friend

And you indulge him no matter what eh? Good on yer, it cant have been easy. If you say it has, you're a liar.
    He's a lucky lad Bet & I mean that.......
    Not getting the point though are you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you indulge him no matter what eh? Good on yer, it cant have been easy. If you say it has, you're a liar.

Indulge him?

No I'm not, and I'm not sure I want to get your point

don't bother to reply, I'm out of this thread as I can't see further dilogue as constructive
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His appearance on tv is only going to be a hassle to them if they see him, his sexuality or his lifestyle as some sort of burden. You seem to be assuming that they're a heterosexual couple who've been in total turmoil from the day he told them or they guessed that he was gay. How do you know that they've not been through things like divorce & serious illness, & therefore see what he's doing with his life as something minor by comparison? You know little or nothing about the work they do, so for all you know they may work with gay people & see him as just another one who happens to be their son. What makes you think that they don't simply see his appearance on tv as just another thing he fancied doing? The sexuality of a child isn't always the trauma you seem to think it is or should be. Some things are more important.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well considering it took you 2 pages to make yours, you can forgive her... ;):rolleyes: