The Ratings Thread (Part 8) (Merged)

Comments

• CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJMillar wrote: »
    I was quoted like that, about a freeview thing a while back, I like when Digital Spy does this, the vast opinion on these forums, are great for news articles, rather than the more vague things other news media puts out about a general auidence.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a211594/married-single-other-for-second-series.html

In an attempt to make our very own Agent F a celebrity.

Also, many thanks to rzt for pointing me towards the Facebook page!

From what I've heard today, but I can't reveal the source, it's "likely" to be recommissioned.

Take of that what you will...but I guess that ITV will be wanting to invest in this because it's non-crime related and might be the start of bigger and better things in that genre.
    That's so cool, Can I get your autograph Agent F ;)
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just for future reference, I like Pizzatheaction to have a capital P. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
    Forum Member
    I know there's been huge discussion already over the recomission of Married, Single, Other-more than any other show I can remember:eek:! So just to add to this...saw an advert on ITV1 earlier advertising ITV Player with MSO as the show to watch-surely ITV wouldn't bother advertising a show they want to axe, but they would want to keep promoting a show they want to recomission and gain new viewers...
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

I'm very touched PJ. :D
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One reason (at least in the US) why the 16-34 (or 18-49) viewers are so valued is simply because they are harder to get. The average age of a viewer on the main broadcast networks is 51 and rising. For 2008-09:

CBS: 55 (with DVR factored in: 54)
    ABC: 51 (with DVR factored in: 50)
    NBC: 49 (with DVR factored in: 47)
    Fox: 46 (with DVR factored in: 44)
    The CW: 34 (with DVR factored in: 33)

* CBS/ABC/NBC/FOX generally target adults 18-49
    * The CW targets women 18-34
    * News channels target adults 25-54
    * CBS want people to think that 25-54 is the new 18-49

As we saw with the UK drama demographics, there aren't many options for an advertiser looking to sell their products to young adults. But loads for those tageting older viewers. So when the opportunity does arise, the channels can sell the space at a premium because there is so much demand and so little supply.

There's not a huge difference between American Idol and Dancing With The Stars in terms of total viewers. But one hour of DWTS generates $5.1m while one hour of American Idol makes FOX $16m.

Amazing for Glee last night whatever way it's looked at and I don't think there would be any increase at all if it moved to Channel 4.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think it's been mentioned but I think it's worth pointing out that Glee beat Flash Forward head to head last night according to Media Guardian (1.466m vs 1.464m). Incredibly close and barely worth looking at I know, but I still found it both interesting and amusing.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a211594/married-single-other-for-second-series.html

In an attempt to make our very own Agent F a celebrity.

Also, many thanks to rzt for pointing me towards the Facebook page!

From what I've heard today, but I can't reveal the source, it's "likely" to be recommissioned.

Take of that what you will...but I guess that ITV will be wanting to invest in this because it's non-crime related and might be the start of bigger and better things in that genre.

Shock horror - ITV to make decision on recommissioning a series after series ended. Digital Spy's getting as bad as the tabloids now for making up the bloody obvious!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CNN is really crumbling in US news ratings.

First quarter this year vs last year has seen Campbell Brown (8-9pm) hit her lowest ratings ever, Larry King is down 42% (52% in March) with Anderson Cooper down 42% as well. American Morning is down 29%.

Good times continue for FOX News which is hitting record highs. Sean Hannity at 9pm has almost 4 times as many viewers as Larry King. Bill O'Reilly remains the king of primetime news channels with 3.65m and a rise of 28%. Greta Van Susteren is up 28%. Their rising star is still Glenn Beck, up 50% from last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/30/business/media/30cnn.html?hp
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    ABC will be relieved that one of their big hitters is actually up from last year - Desperate Housewives and Greys Anatomy have been on a worrying run of record lows. DWTS has definately helped Castle too which is really looking strong now, turning the tables on CSI: Miami for the first time last week.

Chuck is looking increasingly ill. As C14E said, the quality of pilots could have a lot to do with its future. The decent numbers for The Marriage Ref and Parenthood won't help it either. Given a relatively equal choice, NBC will surely renew Parenthood (first series, made in-house) over Chuck which has had multiple chances.
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »

First quarter this year vs last year has seen Campbell Brown (8-9pm) hit her lowest ratings ever, Larry King is down 42% (52% in March) with Anderson Cooper down 42% as well. American Morning is down 29%.

Good times continue for FOX News which is hitting record highs. Sean Hannity at 9pm has almost 4 times as many viewers as Larry King. Bill O'Reilly remains the king of primetime news channels with 3.65m and a rise of 28%. Greta Van Susteren is up 28%. Their rising star is still Glenn Beck, up 50% from last year.

I don't think its fair to compare a news channel with a comedy channel. :p
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Truly depressing reading.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    Don't think it's been mentioned but I think it's worth pointing out that Glee beat Flash Forward head to head last night according to Media Guardian (1.466m vs 1.464m). Incredibly close and barely worth looking at I know, but I still found it both interesting and amusing.
    Crikey you're easily amused! I know you've really got it in for Five for some reason but this is really scraping the barrel stuff. They were basically equal anyway. It's a non-story because it's not unusual for multi-channels to outrate Five output (indeed many do so every day at 6:30pm) and yet this only managed it by the thinnest of whiskers. Frankly if you are just looking for some cheap shots at Five which it appears you are then this was among the poorer efforts I've seen - you could have at least sourced some better material.
    Forum Member
    gottago wrote: »
    It truly is. Even seeing the words "king" and "O'Reilly" in the same sentence is enough to leave a sour taste in my mouth.
  • cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cent wrote: »
    I don't think its fair to compare a news channel with a comedy channel. :p

:p

Can't believe that shit is more popular than the far superior CNN.

--

On other depressing news, Paris Hiltons British Best Friend has been picked up by TV Guide Network in America :(

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/30/paris-hilton%E2%80%99s-british-best-friend-premieres-tuesday-april-6-at-10p-on-tv-guide-network/46591
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All five channels offered something different and all did reasonably in the process. Married, Single, Other should've done enough for a recommision but will ITV hold their nerve considering what happened with The Fixer. Blood and Oil did excellently, The Chancellor Debate did well and Crimewatch was as consistent as ever. Five really need to work on their home grown programming IMO - CSI is starting to falter slightly and Flashforward is not enjoying this run as much as it's previous one. Good Times is another programme that will have to join the Justin Lee Collins pit of doom by the looks of it.

The soaps did ok, obviously the hour change affected them all slightly.

In America, Dancing with the Stars has bounced back and BBC1 and ITV1 need to look at it in order to reshape their own dancing reality TV shows. It also shows what an excellent and complementary lead in can do for a programme, with Castle benefiting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gottago wrote: »

I'm not even sure why, tbh. With some big news stories, CNN should be up. Losing 42% in a year is just crazy for such a long running show and it's not like those viewers are going to be tuning in to FOX News now. Its viewers are more likely new arrivals to cable news and commentary shows.

Over the past few years, Keith Olbermann (seems to be a bit like Reilly for liberals) has had a rise at 9pm on MSNBC which might have been taking viewers away from Larry King. But he is also down over 40% in this quarter (more understandable given the political climate just now).

Also, Jon Stewart isn't on a news channel but his show is news based and liberally inclined and does good numbers for Comedy Central.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    ITV have confirmed schedules for week beginning 10th April, however I'm still slightly confused as the episode descriptions for Thursday's Corrie and episode #1 on the Friday are exactly the same.

Due to the election debates, Emmerdale is on for 1 hour on the Thursday from 19:00 to 20:00 instead of two half hours, clashing with EastEnders.

What's the Thursday 15th schedule actually say for 8.30-10pm? Presumably it doesn't say "The Leaders' Debate" because Brown isn't calling the election till next Tuesday. Or have they stuck some 90 minute filler in there, to be hoicked out of the schedule once the election is called?

Be interested to know - this is quite significant of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not even sure why, tbh. With some big news stories, CNN should be up. Losing 42% in a year is just crazy for such a long running show and it's not like those viewers are going to be tuning in to FOX News now. Its viewers are more likely new arrivals to cable news and commentary shows.

Over the past few years, Keith Olbermann (seems to be a bit like Reilly for liberals) has had a rise at 9pm on MSNBC which might have been taking viewers away from Larry King. But he is also down over 40% in this quarter (more understandable given the political climate just now).

Also, Jon Stewart isn't on a news channel but his show is news based and liberally inclined and does good numbers for Comedy Central.

Could it be the politics having an impact? People wanting an anti-government stance so tuning into a news channel that'll give that (namely FOX).
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Five really need to work on their home grown programming IMO - CSI is starting to falter slightly and Flashforward is not enjoying this run as much as it's previous one. Good Times is another programme that will have to join the Justin Lee Collins pit of doom by the looks of it.

Five is working on their homegrown programming - The Business Inspector launched just the other week to an audience of 800k. Same prog on the BBC would get at least three times that amount.

I know that's factual ent and not drama/comedy which you probably meant but what is the point of commissioning more UK content if next to nobody will even give it a chance?

Some people on this thread have lots of great sounding ideas in principle, but the commercial reality is they are not workable half the time.

I think instead of constantly lambasting Five for seemingly not making an effort in this area, we need to appreciate that:

a) the economic conditions are very challenging and do not lend themselves to the kind of investments people are talking about in high risk projects;
    b) most recent homegrown content has failed to initiate mainstream interest which suggests an image problem that needs addressing first and foremost;
    c) content from overseas tends to be more profitable and is the safest option for now.

Five's strategy is solid. Ride out the storm by scaling back commissions, concentrating on the core ratings bankers and continued digital growth until we see a sustained improvement in the ad market.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Five is working on their homegrown programming - The Business Inspector launched just the other week to an audience of 800k. Same prog on the BBC would get at least three times that amount.

I know that's factual ent and not drama/comedy which you probably meant but what is the point of commissioning more UK content if nobody will even give it a chance?

Some people on this thread have lots of great sounding ideas in principle, but the commercial reality is they are not workable half the time.

I think instead of constantly lambasting Five for seemingly not making an effort in this area, we need to appreciate that:

a) the economic conditions are very challenging and do not lend themselves to the kind of investments people are talking about in high risk projects;
    b) most recent homegrown content has failed to initiate mainstream interest which suggests an image problem that needs addressing first and foremost;
    c) content from overseas tends to be more profitable and is the safest option for now.

Five's strategy is solid. Ride out the storm by scaling back commissions, concentrating on the core ratings bankers and continued digital growth until we see a sustained improvement in the ad market.

Yeah, Five's factual entertainment is in a strong state, I'd argue possibly even stronger that ITV's. I suppose Channel 4 have little in British drama outside Hollyoaks, Shameless and Skins too.

I just wish Five weren't so reliant on imports drama-wise because it could leave them in trouble if they start to struggle - both Flashforward and CSI and starting to show signs of limping rather than running (admittedly CSI at least has a few years left in it).

Isn't Five now owned by RTL, the biggest television company in Europe? I think if they actually put their heads and some money into it I think they could improve it immensely - especially the early evening schedule (Live From Studio Five doesn't help with either general image or ratings) and trying to bring a couple of homegrown programming through. I'd say the 10pm slot would be the slot that should try and breakthrough on. The 9pm slot is too competitive on all but Tuesday's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be the politics having an impact? People wanting an anti-government stance so tuning into a news channel that'll give that (namely FOX).

It's definitely part of it, particularly for MSNBC who are pro-Democrat.

That being said, FOXN did grow during the Bush years.

And with CNN, I'm not sure that viewers would move to FOX News. It's a huge leap. I guess they must just be bored of CNN.

It's funny how FOX network isn't remotely conservative. Indeed, the Parents Television Council (Mary Whitehouse but crazier) tend to reserve their harshest criticism for FOX. I think Family Guy is the most common feature in their "worst of the week" column. They were outraged at Glee, which is apparently not suitable for teenage audiences!
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    All five channels offered something different and all did reasonably in the process. Married, Single, Other should've done enough for a recommision but will ITV hold their nerve considering what happened with The Fixer. QUOTE]

I think they will - the word of mouth has been excellent, and it has 'grower' potential. ITV just need to think about how they build anticipation for a second series - perhaps a high-profile repeat of series 1 would do the trick, although there was obviously something about that first episode which put people off and lost it 2 million viewers.
  • PJMillarPJMillar Posts: 3,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Shock horror - ITV to make decision on recommissioning a series after series ended. Digital Spy's getting as bad as the tabloids now for making up the bloody obvious!

All I was doing was suggesting the pros and cons of a commission. I mentioned ratings, fans response, etc.

It wasn't a pointless article, I don't think anyway. I know a lot of people will want to know about whether the series will be recommissioned.

So, at least they know it'll be confirmed in the next two weeks...
  • cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's definitely part of it, particularly for MSNBC who are pro-Democrat.

That being said, FOXN did grow during the Bush years.

And with CNN, I'm not sure that viewers would move to FOX News. It's a huge leap. I guess they must just be bored of CNN.

It's funny how FOX network isn't remotely conservative. Indeed, the Parents Television Council (Mary Whitehouse but crazier) tend to reserve their harshest criticism for FOX. I think Family Guy is the most common feature in their "worst of the week" column. They were outraged at Glee, which is apparently not suitable for teenage audiences!
    Parents should be aware that this is an edgy teen show filled with adult themes. Simulated sex scenes are usually left to the adults on the show, but sexual situations between the teens are dealt in frank and explicit ways. For instance, there is a running joke that the main jock love-interest, Finn, has a problem with premature ejaculation. In fact, he is lead to believe that he impregnated his girlfriend this way when they were making out in a hot tub. She happens to be the president of the celibacy club who, unbeknownst to Finn, has slept with his best friend. There are also occasional veiled references to. One boy has recently come out of the closet and there are many homophobic jokes made at his expense. Language is relatively tame. Words like “hell,” “crap” and “damn” are occasionally used. Violence is not a problem for the program.

Glee is not recommended for viewers under age 16.

I had a good laugh at this.
This discussion has been closed.