The HARRY POTTER Books

Comments

• DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried registering at Pottermore but it just keeps buffering, I'll wait a couple of days and then try again.

Same hear. Mind you, the "registration" now will only mean that you will be reminded that formal registration starts on 31 July. She is apparently wanting up to one million users to "help develop the site". As she has been working on it for two years and it goes live in October, there would not be much time to implement any new ideas that users may come up with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    The site seems to be made for those die-hard fans that love all the books, you however only liked the first three and found the rest to be a chore and not even read the last one. So maybe the site is not going to be something you are going to love :)

? Heh, think you've got the wrong username there. :D I adored the books. I'm a massive Harry Potter nerd! :D
  • buffyslaybuffyslay Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is another link to do with the JK Rowling Announcement. Some people think it will be Ebook version of Harry Potter - which I thought would be coming about now, with the release of the last film, very business savvy JK is :)

I downloaded these last year (I think)
    All she did by not allowing downloads before was to make people who wanted the books have find them from alternative sources. In my opinion, people don't like being dictated to on how they can or can't access stuff (apple... Yes I am looking at you!!)

I have them in hardback - so don't feel I have ripped anyone off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    ? Heh, think you've got the wrong username there. :D I adored the books. I'm a massive Harry Potter nerd! :D

I do apologise I did indeed get the wrong username, I honestly thought you were the post at the top of page 3. I checked just now and it is a completely different name, I don't even know how I confused the two.

I do apologise profusely.

:):) Well I will see you on Pottermore in October then :)
    Forum Member
    buffyslay wrote: »
    I downloaded these last year (I think)
    All she did by not allowing downloads before was to make people who wanted the books have find them from alternative sources. In my opinion, people don't like being dictated to on how they can or can't access stuff (apple... Yes I am looking at you!!)

I have them in hardback - so don't feel I have ripped anyone off.

I know how you feel, I was more than a little peeved to find out the book series were not available for any Ebook reader.

However with the Ebooks coming available soon, I am at last going to be able to read them on my Kindle (I hope) I do wonder if they will go with the US version or the UK versions of the book (the US have chapter art I believe, which would be a nice addition)
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    I've seen the video and read the Mail news report but I'm still not sure what Pottermore is all about. Isn't undermining magnificent fan sites like Mugglenet?
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried registering at Pottermore but it just keeps buffering, I'll wait a couple of days and then try again.

I have registered this morning with no problem at all.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,956
    Forum Member
    I started reading HBP last night because even though I've read it before, whenever people talk about it I'm oblivious.

I'm going to try and register for Pottermore later on - what is it, exactly?
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    I've seen the video and read the Mail news report but I'm still not sure what Pottermore is all about. Isn't undermining magnificent fan sites like Mugglenet?
    mimicole wrote: »
    I started reading HBP last night because even though I've read it before, whenever people talk about it I'm oblivious.

I'm going to try and register for Pottermore later on - what is it, exactly?

Judging from the pictures from another thread and from what JK Rowling said in the announcement, it sounds like Pottermore is going to be a web based RPG in which you will perform tasks from the books, gathering information and house points. Also looks to be text based so imagination will be essential. I could be wrong though.

Edit: I signed up no problem today, it looks like the demand has slowed and/or they fixed the servers to cope with the demand.
  • Big Fat BassBig Fat Bass Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I signed up for Pottermore today.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Ah, I think I get it. You hang out on the site and do Potter related activities. But the focus will be on the written word rather than games or animation. I see the children's books stores aren't happy though. They feel left out.
  • BcUhTrTyEeRdCUPBcUhTrTyEeRdCUP Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just started to read the books for the first time (am 16 and on book 5) and I do not know why I havn't up to now Mum tried to get me to read them but for some reason I tryed to first one but stopped halfway through when I was 9 and didn't pick it up till eariler this year cause I want to read them all before the 14th of july, But as seeing the films then reading the books I kinda love doing that way cause then I don't get pissed off with the movies not showing detail;) but I love findng out the detail esp in book 3 and 4 and 5(half way through). I have brought them all :) and I love them. I wasn't really a big fan of HP growing up I liked it don't get me wrong but wasn't overly excited about it. Untill I reached the age of 12 then I started becoming obesessed with HP but didn't really want to read books as I had a masive 4 year reading block :sleep:.

Sorry for massive post :o
    I can't wait for pottermore I have registed my email:)
    I really regret not readin them eariler :( (stupid brain of mine)
    Forum Member
    I have just started to read the books for the first time (am 16 and on book 5) and I do not know why I havn't up to now Mum tried to get me to read them but for some reason I tryed to first one but stopped halfway through when I was 9 and didn't pick it up till eariler this year cause I want to read them all before the 14th of july, But as seeing the films then reading the books I kinda love doing that way cause then I don't get pissed off with the movies not showing detail;) but I love findng out the detail esp in book 3 and 4 and 5(half way through). I have brought them all :) and I love them. I wasn't really a big fan of HP growing up I liked it don't get me wrong but wasn't overly excited about it. Untill I reached the age of 12 then I started becoming obesessed with HP but didn't really want to read books as I had a masive 4 year reading block :sleep:.

Sorry for massive post :o
    I can't wait for pottermore I have registed my email:)
    I really regret not readin them eariler :( (stupid brain of mine)

Firstly not a massive post so don't worry :)

The reading the book or watching the film first has been a debate for years, I can see it from both points of view. I used to think that watching the films first would be best (I read the books first and have been hugely disappointed in most of the films) but recently when discussing another book to film conversion, I advised leaving a book until after seeing the film, and someone argued the other way round because you invest more into a book, and seeing the twists and turns for the first time in the book is a lot more powerful than if you saw it on the film first.

I think it can go either way really but I think I would have enjoyed the books less had I known that Quirrell was helping Voldemort. Or Peter Pettigrew faked his death. Or "Kill the spare". Had I watched the films these shocks would have been nothing.

But saying that the way you have done it means you get to enjoy the films and then the books (as they are better :)) where as I grumble at the films hehehe.

It is one of those things that works both ways :)

I think I am rambling now anyway, so I will stop hehe
  • BcUhTrTyEeRdCUPBcUhTrTyEeRdCUP Posts: 19,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly not a massive post so don't worry :)

The reading the book or watching the film first has been a debate for years, I can see it from both points of view. I used to think that watching the films first would be best (I read the books first and have been hugely disappointed in most of the films) but recently when discussing another book to film conversion, I advised leaving a book until after seeing the film, and someone argued the other way round because you invest more into a book, and seeing the twists and turns for the first time in the book is a lot more powerful than if you saw it on the film first.

I think it can go either way really but I think I would have enjoyed the books less had I known that Quirrell was helping Voldemort. Or Peter Pettigrew faked his death. Or "Kill the spare". Had I watched the films these shocks would have been nothing.

But saying that the way you have done it means you get to enjoy the films and then the books (as they are better :)) where as I grumble at the films hehehe.

It is one of those things that works both ways :)

I think I am rambling now anyway, so I will stop hehe

I totaly agree with what you saying I have read many books which has been converted into movies and have felt disipointed cause they have not as been as good I much perfer reading a book over watching a movie as it captures more detail and more thrill but saying this i do like watching movies :)
    BIB- I wouldeve agreed but I am such a spoiler **** when it comes to those twists and turnes esp when it goes on to movies but saying this I am not one of those people who read the back page and look up spoilers for books i am one of those people who tend to go to film then get lead on the twists and turns :)
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the books. It's the best possible way of experiencing the Harry Potter world. The movies are a lot of fun but best understood I reckon if you've read the books.

That said I will be finishing Deathly Hallows after I've seen part 2 at the cinema. I'm currently in the middle of Goblet of Fire which is by no means my favourite story but it's entertaining enough.

Love them!

My favourite has to be Order of the Phoenix. It used to be Prisoner of Azkaban, but then I saw the film which ruined it entirely for me.

My favourite is Azkaban. It's such a lot of fun, and I think for me it;s the film where the trio start to come of age a little bit. The screenplay is excellent for me and it's easy to get lost in the story.
    I love watching Harry and Hermoine go back through the Timeturner and you're working out all the little details happen, yet have already happened :D
  • Metal Slug XMetal Slug X Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    My only regrets of the book are...

The fact Severus Snape barely appeared in most of the books despite his great character development. Alan Rickman has made him even more great in my opinion.

The fact that they all lived happily ever after and the final battle was so anti - climax. Lord Voldemort/He Who Must Not Be Named/The Dark Lord/ You Know Who/Tom Riddle, was basically a ugly Bond villian with his constant mistakes. Harry Potter/The Boy Who Lived, Ron Weasly or Hermione Granger shouldn't have all survived.

I never really understood the relationship between Harry and Hermione at all... she was the smarter more sensible one and he was just basically good at Defense Against The ark Arts. They had nothing in common despite her always siding with him when Ron had a strop.

Proffesor/Potions Master Horace Slughorn... thought this character was pointless and uninteresting.

Somethings I love to death though are...

Hermione and Ron being totally foul to each other despite their obvious love.

Madam/Professor/Hogwarts High Inquisitor/Head Mistress/Head of the Muggle-Born Registration Commission/Senior Undersecretary Dolores Jane Umbridge and Proffesor/Head Master/Potions Master Severus Snape involement together, any time they had to have a conversation was pure classic for me!

Ron saying about Proffesor Gilderoy Lockhart 'More like he's gone to curl his hair'.

I have read them all back to back 3 times over now, it is amazing what you pick up during the other reads!
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hermione and Ron being totally foul to each other despite their obvious love.

Hmm "obvious"?

All I ever saw was back and forth arguments, which could have been bickering "love" if done in a better way and not for the fact that the text repeatedly, and I mean everytime it happened, showed that Hermione genuinely didnt like it. And if not for the fact that the author repeatedly chose to empathise Harry and Hermione.

Go through the books and count how many times Rowling could have wrote moments involving Harry and Ginny and Hermione and Ron, in order to give the romances she wanted a nice build up, and yet instead chose to write Harry and Hermione. Book five especially, is full to the brim of such things.

Book six seemed to try and rectify this, though was done very badly hence why it jars in terms of style. characters plots etc with the first five. And by the time book 7 came out it seemed like she had given up, basically just said "yeah Hermione and ron will get together as well as Harry and ginny at the end" and then went about writing the most romantic scenes and imagery in any of the seven books which involved...... Harry and Hermione.

And in fact topped it all off by saying in an interview a while after the release of book 7 by stating that Harry and Hermione could easily have happened during points of the last book.

You could write one hell of a book examining how the author handled all this.

"Shipping" is the only thing I find interesting in these books, the voldemort stuff got dull and didnt get better very early for me.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Films are rarely as satisfying as the books for the simple reason that they have to condense the story to fit it into a watchable running time. In the case of Harry Potter, I think they have done an excellent job, by and large. Sure, there were things they could have done differently and things that they cut, which might have been left in. Opinions differ, though, and they were never going to please everyone, no matter what they tried.

I tend to view the films and books as separate entities, each of which can be enjoyed for its own sake. That would not have been the case had they made a mess of the films, but they didn't.

I read the books first, although that was not an intentional policy. I had finished number four before the first film was released and read the others as soon as they were published.
  • Zippy2011Zippy2011 Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    I hate the films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    The movies took no notice of the time the books were set. The deatheaters destroyed the millennium bridge before it was even built! But even the books didn't keep to the right time, Dudley got a playstation before they were available!
  • Zippy2011Zippy2011 Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    loujac05 wrote: »
    The movies took no notice of the time the books were set. The deatheaters destroyed the millennium bridge before it was even built! But even the books didn't keep to the right time, Dudley got a playstation before they were available!

I'm confusedto what you mean? Sorry I know you said it straight forward.
  • riannerianne Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zippy2011 wrote: »
    I'm confusedto what you mean? Sorry I know you said it straight forward.

the books were set in the 90's. Thats why they wear old fashioned clothes in the films (one thing they've got right)

But as some has already said the millenium wasnt built until 00's. yet the film had the death eaters destroy the bridge in HBP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loved them! I think they are such powerful stories! I have literally studied them, I am a big fan!
  • Bill WardBill Ward Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I love all the little threads that have tried to bandwagon a succesful thread... but HP is the best!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    The ending was a little anti-climactic.
    After all the trouble and conflict, the final confrontation of Harry and Voldy resolves into a one-shot who's quicker-on-the-draw/who's got the best gun Wild West stand-off. Surprise, surprise 'tis Harry-and then coz the chief's dead, suddenly it's all over-notwithstanding Voldy's forces having basically won. Then we get a rather silly epilogue that just tell's us the main characters married and had kids who're going to Hogwarts, without mentioning what happened in Hogwarts, and the land abroad, in the war's aftermath-or even what the characters do for a living, where Harry lives now, and whether he has contact with any old relatives, etc.

It doesn't come down to a final who's got the best gun thing though! the whole point in the Hallows is that the master of the Hallow's has to be deserving of them i.e. has to be good and able to love... The whole point is that Voldermort was the more powerful wizard, he knew and was more capable of producing magic then Harry ever could be but Harry triumphed because he was able to love, because he was pure of heart effectively. He understood things that Voldermort did not...

It's the whole thing about love being the most powerful weapon...