X Factor USA - Britney & Demi: thoughts?

Comments

• fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Britney's alright. She's the most bearable besides Simon. Demi is just cringe. I love her and her songs but she's just cringe. And how is she a good judge in any way? Telling Emblem 3 that they 'need to command the stage more' is REALLY bad criticism and not at all what the problem is with Emblem 3 (the problem was they had a unique style and they had been heavily compromised). She's gives really bad advice to all the acts addressing problems which either weren't the main issue or weren't an issue at all like she's always talking about stage presence! Carly's predictability is another one of her favorites (not even a problem if someone can sing like that and she's not actually predictable because she's versatile). Movement around the stage is another favorite...It's like she's insecure that she has to have an opinion otherwise she gets the sack.

Demi is ruining herself by being on this show. Please leave Demi or what little like I still have for you will completely disappear. Someone like Pink or Kelly Clarkson would be fun replacements. LA comes close and thank god he's leaving. Please replace with someone else a bit more interesting and animated...or hot. Like Enrique Iglesias or Jared Leto or nick Adam Levine from the Voice...(he would be better here).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Demi: She's ok. I tend to find most of her comments rambling and unconstructive, though. I still don't know what she brought to the panel; the kiddy market doesn't seem valuable to the US networks, and it doesn't make 100% sense to have someone just out of her teens mentor young adults.

Britney: I love her, but I think she is suffering from raised expectations from the audience. The audience, based on the comments pre-auditions, wanted a trainwreck on Live TV, but they haven't got that. Britney has always been praised as Professional throughout her career, and that is how I have seen her on the show. She showed plenty of personality in the auditions, and even in the Live Shows, she just isn't making herself the centre of attention because the contestants are. I said in another similar thread, what are people expecting from her? For her to randomly shave her head, dance with a snake, kiss Demi, or beat Simon with an Umbrella? The auditions peaked the viewers who were curious, and then they faded because Britney was capable. She doesn't suffer fools and that has been reflected in her comments. They're on point, contructive (mostly), and delivered simply. I feel she is a good judge; she could ramble on and on and say nothing (like Demi, at times) but she doesn't.

Nail- head. Firmly hit.
  • ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the point, but constructive? I don't think so. No-one is saying she should ramble on and on, but if she finds a performance was not particularly good, like Demi, she could at least elaborate briefly on how a contestant could improve for next time, by saying something like: "I would have like to have seen/or it could have been more... xyz", rather than just saying "I was bored" or "it wasn't great", which is pretty much how she gives feedback most of the time. Not constructive at all.

Point taken on board, but from what I've seen it seems to be clear when she says "I was bored". The performance generally just didn't click, and the other judges will have commented on it. With CeCe for example, Britney knew that CeCe had no chance of winning because her personality wasn't clicking with the audience. When she would say "I didn't like it" and nothing else, it was clear why.
    Nail- head. Firmly hit.

Thanks! I've decent aim! ;)
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Britney is fairly dreadful, but that's not as bad as I thought she would be. She looks to me as if she is spaced out on medication half the time. She's extremely inarticulate, indeed the whole US panel is, it's nothing like as analytical or informative as the British panels have been over the years. I do like one thing about Britney though, which is that she has never waffled when sending anyone home. She just calls it straight.

Demi is appalling. I find her inane and totally uninteresting, her commentary is vacuous and cliched. She's also wrong most of the time. Oddly she managed to propel the dislikeable CeCe ahead of the others, who were completely mishandled.

Neither of these women has even showed up on set wearing a decent outfit. They are so lacking in class and styling. Just look at ours over the years and how stunning they have often been. This year Nicole has looked flawless almost every show - she's American and from the US X Factor, so it has nothing to do with nationality.
  • teenage-monkeyteenage-monkey Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really disagree that Britney's comments are on point and constructive. She has said all of five words ever time she has been asked to critique. I'm afraid comments like "I don't get it" are not justifable. Atleast with Demi she does elaborate and offer some sound advice like she did with Eblem3. Regardless of them leaving the competition they should have stayed true to themselves and not ruined their direction for votes, they've got to come out and sell records after this competition has finished - they can't rely on all those who phoned up a free number to get them through the weeks.

The whole point of these judges is to also act as television personalities and somewhat act the role of mentor. Apart from some ridiculous faces I have seen none of this from Britney. Everytime she has stood next to her acts she has looked cold, not even hugging or holding their hands when these 13 year old girls have been crying.
  • EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    Point taken on board, but from what I've seen it seems to be clear when she says "I was bored". The performance generally just didn't click, and the other judges will have commented on it. With CeCe for example, Britney knew that CeCe had no chance of winning because her personality wasn't clicking with the audience. When she would say "I didn't like it" and nothing else, it was clear why.

I think the problem is lack of elaboration though. There's nothing the contestants can do to improve if she just says she's bored. To an extent I can appreciate she doesn't ramble, but she could be constructive and still concise at the same time.

Thanks! I've decent aim! ;)

:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    qwerty21 wrote: »
    Demi is the worst mentor ever on US or UK X Factor and her 'banter' with Simon is rather cringe worthy. (I'm only a 19 year old girl). She did well in the auditions but in the live shows she is easily intimidated by the others and occasionally comes out with unsubstantiated criticism.

Britney obviously doesn't say more than she wants but I think she's OK and might grow more comfortable in her second season (Like Gary Barlow). Also a good mentor.

I don't think the Kelly Rowland suggestion is ridiculous but I'd go for someone like Kelly Clarkson who is great fun and sensible- she would know what she's talking about. Even someone like Pink would be good. I think Simon tries to get big names too often and thinks about them as judges second.

In terms of replacing LA- I would go with someone respected in the music industry- who's willing to challenge Simon as LA did that fantastically. It also adds a little more authority to the show and industry men are more likely to be better mentors.

I actually think Kelly Rowland would feel comfortable doing the US version,so I agree I don't see this being a ridiculous idea. Pink has openly said she will never be a judge on any talent show. Kelly Clarkson is also a good choice.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither of them have worked out imo. I like Demi. She's a nice girl. She has a bright future ahead of her. Just not as a judge on this show. Britney is probably very nice too but she came across as cold and robotic for the most part. I wouldn't be in a hurry to sign her up for another season. I have my doubts this show will last beyond Season 3. Is there any point changing the judges at this stage? That's 3 failed judging panels in 2 seasons. LA Reid is already going so maybe it's best not to tinker with the panel any further.
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    ASHFORDSTP wrote: »
    Kelly Clarkson is also a good choice.

I think she is too loyal to American Idol, since she did it's first season. She also seems to like The Voice too.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither of them have worked out imo. I like Demi. She's a nice girl. She has a bright future ahead of her. Just not as a judge on this show. Britney is probably very nice too but she came across as cold and robotic for the most part. I wouldn't be in a hurry to sign her up for another season. I have my doubts this show will last beyond Season 3. Is there any point changing the judges at this stage? That's 3 failed judging panels in 2 seasons. LA Reid is already going so maybe it's best not to tinker with the panel any further.

I think there probably is an argument for consistency. But LA going has kind of broken that already. Plus, I'm not sure consistency is worth paying Britney $15m.
  • achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASHFORDSTP wrote: »
    I actually think Kelly Rowland would feel comfortable doing the US version,so I agree I don't see this being a ridiculous idea. Pink has openly said she will never be a judge on any talent show. Kelly Clarkson is also a good choice.

Kelly Clarkson already did that Duets show that bombed. She was painfully boring.

Simon will re-hire Demi next year. All his backstage video interviews point to it. She wants it too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    I think she is too loyal to American Idol, since she did it's first season. She also seems to like The Voice too.

Of course, wasn't she a guest mentor on the Voice, I think she was a co coach in season 1 with Adam Levine, which led her getting the duets job.
  • Amy76Amy76 Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really disagree that Britney's comments are on point and constructive. She has said all of five words ever time she has been asked to critique. I'm afraid comments like "I don't get it" are not justifable. Atleast with Demi she does elaborate and offer some sound advice like she did with Eblem3. Regardless of them leaving the competition they should have stayed true to themselves and not ruined their direction for votes, they've got to come out and sell records after this competition has finished - they can't rely on all those who phoned up a free number to get them through the weeks.

The whole point of these judges is to also act as television personalities and somewhat act the role of mentor. Apart from some ridiculous faces I have seen none of this from Britney. Everytime she has stood next to her acts she has looked cold, not even hugging or holding their hands when these 13 year old girls have been crying.

100% agree with all of this. For me, Britney is the worst judge ever. She gives no feedback of any value at all. "I don't get it", "Whitney would be proud" and other such nonsense is totally meaningless and not helpful at all, and not entertaining for the viewer.

Also, no-one ever pushes her to elaborate. It must be written into her contract that she is not to say more than 5 words at a time.

As much as I loathe Gary Barlow and Tulisa, at least they can string a sentence together and actually give an opinion.

As for Demi, I had never heard of her before, but I find her ok, albeit a bit 'cringe', During the auditions, she kept telling people she could see a 'sparkle in their eyes'. I don't know how many times she said it. She must have been told about it as she hasn't said it in weeks now.

I am glad LA is leaving though. I found him boring as a judge too. He isn't a very animated speaker and I don't feel he gave much useful advice either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I saw an interview with Simon backstage and he was talking about the judges. He said Demi could be annoying but he likes her being opinionated. The way he talked about Britbot was hilarious another poster on twop summed it up well with this -

"Simon couldn't stop laughing when he was asked what he thought about Brit's new judging duties. He replied "Amazing"

The interviewer asked another question about Spears' contestant and he then again replied something like " so amazing". She caught on to his dry sense of humour and she asked something else about her and of course Simon answered 'amazing this and amazing that and all is amazing with everthing being totally amazing !""
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney in my opinion was rubbish, she had a good category and she should not be a judge next year...Demi was great, accurate and I agreed with her a lot of the time, trouble is she slagged Cowell off a few times, for that alone he could sack her.....
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney been through alot. But i believe we going to see a different britney next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member

:cry: I miss the sassy Britney from the first episode. She was paying attention and judgmental. Why didn't she continue to be like this? I don't get it! I was looking forward to her after the first episode but I didn't find that sass anymore. WHY BRITNEY, WHY!
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Demi is perhaps the worst mentor on XF ever. She has the easiest category yet she bombed out so quickly. As a judge is barely any better. She's rarely on point and makes J-Lo look so knowledgeable. Give her the Overs next year and kick her out after.

Britney's critique is more on point but it needs more explanation. If she says, "I don't get it," she should back it up with reasons. It's as if the producers tell her not to say too much because she's paid by the word. I'd love to kick her out, but given that Paula Abdul lasted so many years on Idol, she can stay, even if just for the laughs.

REMARK
    The judges' time to talk this year is quite short, as seen by the lack of reasons given when sending acts home, is perhaps due to time constraints (remember how Steve Jones kept shouting at the judges due to time problems). Just saying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was looking forward to britney being on the show because as far as credability goes, she is a massive name in the music industry. BUT she was an awful judge, and "great mentor"..well she had the best girl by far on the show,

I only had heard of Demi but thats about it before the show. She was an awful mentor. Look at her acts at the start of show and their audtions. She had overall the strongest category and screwed it up royally. As a judge i didnt agree with her a lot, but her and simon played well together and she was at least interesting unlike Britney.

Dream scenario for next season. 100 % dream. Simon, Elton John, Madonna and Beyonce. Never gonna happen but at least credible artists.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for me personally, the judges have to be credible. People like Tulisa and Demi arent very credible in my opinion..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    jake4bb wrote: »
    I was looking forward to britney being on the show because as far as credability goes, she is a massive name in the music industry. BUT she was an awful judge, and "great mentor"..well she had the best girl by far on the show,

I only had heard of Demi but thats about it before the show. She was an awful mentor. Look at her acts at the start of show and their audtions. She had overall the strongest category and screwed it up royally. As a judge i didnt agree with her a lot, but her and simon played well together and she was at least interesting unlike Britney.

Dream scenario for next season. 100 % dream. Simon, Elton John, Madonna and Beyonce. Never gonna happen but at least credible artists.

Britney was very competitive in the semis and final. I wonder why she didn't show this side of her in the earlier episodes. I still root for Britney and think she can improve if she is allowed back for season 3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have nothing to say about Britney that is constructive. I did not find her to be either a good judge or a good mentor. She was given the kids and every song they were given to sing was way to old for them, She could not even bring herself to console her contestants when voted out by giving them a hug. Which I think was even more important as they are kid's.

Demi I liked from the start, as a judge she fights back but she takes it to far and becomes petty and childish at times. As a mentor there is on other way to put it.....she royally sucked. I have some sympathy for all her contestants because she ruined any chance they had.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake4bb wrote: »
    for me personally, the judges have to be credible. People like Tulisa and Demi arent very credible in my opinion..

I sort of agree with this, Demi and Tulisa have not been in the business long enough to be all that credible.