Sky news reporter devastated

Comments

• Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    With helium.

She wasn't squeaky clean sending that abuse and the whole thing just ballooned
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This reporter was unlucky enough to be the straw that broke the camels back.
    Of course it wasn't his fault.He just tipped her over into suicide.If it wasn't him,it would have been someone/something else.
    Suicide is a very complex equation.
    For what it's worth.If you know someone who talks about 'throwing themselves off a bridge' or 'hanging themself'.Take it seriously.They've obviously thought about it.
    Take them to see their GP.Better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky a truly evil organization should have been prosecuted for this, the woman was expressing free speech however controversial her opinion was. I remember how horrified she was when confronted.

As for helium, guess she got hold of a tank and didn't come up for air :(
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky a truly evil organization should have been prosecuted for this, the woman was expressing free speech however controversial her opinion was. I remember how horrified she was when confronted.

Prosecuted for what?

The woman was clearly ill, how on earth were Sky meant to know that, they did not even know anything about the person when they started investigated the trolling.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You appear to be advocating free speech to only 50% of this equation.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member

If she felt it was her right to publicly spout spite and hatred for a couple she didn't even know she really shouldn't have been too surprised to be confronted with it. Her spiteful opinions were both numerous and obsessive.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I do believe that the woman may have had issues and had at some part taken her own life anyway, his part in this has resulted in the woman's death sooner, in which this time who knows she may have not done it and sought help and would have been alive today. Journalist's do have right to report but must realise their repercussions will have an affect. I am sure he his feeling very guilty.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure he his feeling very guilty.

While he is completely blameless for this incident, I'm sure, as he has said himself, this will stay with him for the rest of his life and he will feel guilty about it every single day.

It's certainly not a cause for finger pointing or trying to lay blame as he was simply doing his job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prosecuted for what?

The woman was clearly ill, how on earth were Sky meant to know that, they did not even know anything about the person when they started investigated the trolling.

They had no chance of knowing her state of mind.But these things must be taken into account prior to future 'witch-hunts'.
    Saving a life is always better than a news story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    They had no chance of knowing her state of mind.But these things must be taken into account prior to future 'witch-hunts'.

But its like anything in life, if someone bumped into her it could of set her off. There was nothing to indicate she was in that state of mind.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While he is completely blameless for this incident, I'm sure, as he has said himself, this will stay with him for the rest of his life and he will feel guilty about it every single day.

It's certainly not a cause for finger pointing or trying to lay blame as he was simply doing his job.

i know, but whether it was him or another reporter they did in essence may have played a part in the death of a woman but i believe it was on the woman's cards at some point this did exacerbate the situation
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But its like anything in life, if someone bumped into her it could of set her off. There was nothing to indicate she was in that state of mind.

That's true.The vast majority of people who die by suicide haven't even been on anti depressants or(worse still)- in touch with any kind of mental health professionals.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Before the thread gets locked I'd like to remind people of the huge amount of blaming that was going towards the two Australian radio presenters over the suicide of the nurse who took their prank phone call. It turned out that she wasn't well either.

The presenters were devastated (one even quit the job I believe) and both came here to make a huge public apology.

I think this reporter should do the same.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you should read the retaliation tweets to her about being burned alive, raped etc she was obviously terrified.

Sky weren't reporting on a big news event, it was an orchestrated witch hunt.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »

Well she didn't give much thought to the mental wellbeing of the McCann family before spouting off about them. So I suppose this serves as a lesson to us all. Consider that you are dealing with potentially fragile human beings when you start messing with them, whether you're trolling online or working for a news corporation.
  • Options
    alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what was being posted about those who cannot be named but do remember him telling her the met police were investigating which possibly sent her over the edge, were the met police investigating her and were her online conversations enough to procecute, I don't know, the nature of the Internet is that we all find out about current news as it happens and some comment on it, maybe there should be more clear guidelines as to what we can comment online
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    This woman was not a troll, she was guilty of nothing but the legitimate criticism of the McCanns.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/read-the-deleted-tweets-brenda-leyland-sent-the-mccanns#.qiB03bk2R

There were none of the physical threats and sexual violence that have typified other high profile “Twitter troll” cases

After she was outed by the contemptible Martin Brunt she was, in fact, the recipient of threats of violent threats by real Twitter trolls, and perhaps this contributed to her suicide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before the thread gets locked I'd like to remind people of the huge amount of blaming that was going towards the two Australian radio presenters over the suicide of the nurse who took their prank phone call. It turned out that she wasn't well either.

The presenters were devastated (one even quit the job I believe) and both came here to make a huge public apology.

I think this reporter should do the same.

Not at all, that was a different situation.
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are lessons to be learnt here surely.

It seems to me that there are people who are Internet trolls because they are just nasty human beings who get off on the effects and reaction to what they post online and there are others who suffer from mental health issues and trolling is the anti social manifestation of their problems, just as for others drink and drug are their means of escape. Identifying which trolls fall into which camp is a challenge but it it important to do so before publicly outing them as mental health problems are a disease for which the suffers need sympathy, help and support (no matter how obnoxious their trolling may be) whereas the other sorts of trolls deserve everything they get.
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    The reporter done their job and reported on a story, which was a horrible story to commence with. This Trolls actions began long before Sky were on the scene, and she would have probably taken this extreme action regardless of Sky.

Lets not mess about here...the troll was responsible for her own actions...all of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bookcover wrote: »
    The reporter done their job and reported on a story, which was a horrible story to commence with. This Trolls actions began long before Sky were on the scene, and she would have probably taken this extreme action regardless of Sky.

Lets not mess about here...the troll was responsible for her own actions...all of them.

So the death threats she received had nothing to do with it?

She wasn't a troll, only a critic of the McCanns.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith...nns#.qiB03bk2R

"There were none of the physical threats and sexual violence that have typified other high profile “Twitter troll” cases"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-31982088

"None of the messages sent by Mrs Leyland were directed personally at the McCanns, who have "no significant presence" on social media."
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Not at all, that was a different situation.
    And less serious IMO so he should at the very least aplogise and the honourable thing to do after that is quit his job.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    If you're doing stuff you're not prepared to justify in public, you probably shouldn't be doing it.
  • Options
    alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »

I think there was right and wrong on both sides, but I would not want grim reaper brunt on my doorstep that's for sure, I think she was probably lonely and affiliated herself with like minded people, does that deserve a doorstepping, especially rolling on sky news, probably not
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    There are lessons to be learnt here surely.

It seems to me that there are people who are Internet trolls because they are just nasty human beings who get off on the effects and reaction to what they post online and there are others who suffer from mental health issues and trolling is the anti social manifestation of their problems, just as for others drink and drug are their means of escape. Identifying which trolls fall into which camp is a challenge but it it important to do so before publicly outing them as mental health problems are a disease for which the suffers need sympathy, help and support (no matter how obnoxious their trolling may be) whereas the other sorts of trolls deserve everything they get.

But Mrs Leyland was not a troll of any kind. She was certainly a vocal critic of the McCanns but I've read far worse on DS than anything she tweeted about them.