Options

EE Wifi Calling

Comments

• Options
    Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if it's possible to extract whatever makes it work in lollipop on the s5 and port it to other android phones...
    I've been wondering the same. The IMS settings would need to be extracted from the S6 and reentered into the other phone. This may work OK, but then authentication errors will probably happen. They have tried and tested this over in the US with T-Mobile but never managed to get it to work.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Does WiFi work for texting as well?

Yes.

Calls and texts.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    Yes.

Calls and texts.

So if I use WiFi to text overseas it will be free to text now?
  • Options
    lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if I use WiFi to text overseas it will be free to text now?

No stuff still comes out of your regular allowance. The wifi is just the last mile of infrastructure now between you and their network, it still has to travel through all their core systems meaning that they still charge normal rates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No stuff still comes out of your regular allowance. The wifi is just the last mile of infrastructure now between you and their network, it still has to travel through all their core systems meaning that they still charge normal rates.

Damn. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Put the phone in airplane mode. Turn wifi back on. EEWiFiCall should display next to the airplane symbol. Make a call. If it connects, you're setup for WC!
    Strictly speaking, no need to do all that as you already have the new carrier name, but it's just fun to play with 😁.

Yep, it should look like this:

http://tinypic.com/r/21lob9v/8
  • Options
    GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Normal UK rates or normal roaming rates though? If you put the phone into airplane mode with wifi on before leaving the UK and leave it like that, how can EE detect that you are roaming?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Greebo wrote: »
    Normal UK rates or normal roaming rates though? If you put the phone into airplane mode with wifi on before leaving the UK and leave it like that, how can EE detect that you are roaming?

Because it will detect that you are placing the call from a non UK ISP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just put my phone in Airplane mode and rang my son's mobile (he's on 3).

It all worked fine, but he didn't answer! :D

[Edit] - He just rang back (phone still in Airplane mode) and call worked perfectly.

Seriously-good job EE. :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it will detect that you are placing the call from a non UK ISP.

That's going to be tricky doing it by geoip. There's plenty of business users in the UK who are on LANs that go abroad back to HQ before going out to the net. They may get some surprise roaming charges if they use Wificalling!
  • Options
    ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've previously used O2 and The Cloud hot spots, WiFi Calling automatically pops up without any user intervention. Great ☺
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's going to be tricky doing it by geoip. There's plenty of business users in the UK who are on LANs that go abroad back to HQ before going out to the net. They may get some surprise roaming charges if they use Wificalling!

Sorry, I wan't trying to offer a definitive answer, just the most likely.

You're right though, it could certainly get interesting.

So let's think about this-I'm on hols with my mobile that's in Airplane mode, but I'm connected to WiFi-how do EE UK know I'm "roaming" if I place a call back to the UK, when I'm not even using my SIM?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I wan't trying to offer a definitive answer, just the most likely.

You're right though, it could certainly get interesting.

So let's think about this-I'm on hols with my mobile that's in Airplane mode, but I'm connected to WiFi-how do EE UK know I'm "roaming" if I place a call back to the UK, when I'm not even using my SIM?

Hopefully they won't know the answer to that for a couple of weeks and I'll be able to make calls and texts for free using WiFi when I'm abroad next week. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly my question. If the phone hasn't registered on an overseas network then it is hard for EE to reliably know that you are overseas. It also isn't costing them any more to handle the calls than if you were at home since their costs are from their gateway inwards - they won't be paying roaming costs either. Interesting!

edit: you are still using your SIM, it's just that it is talking direct to EE via IP rather than via the local telco.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly my question. If the phone hasn't registered on an overseas network then it is hard for EE to reliably know that you are overseas. It also isn't costing them any more to handle the calls than if you were at home since their costs are from their gateway inwards - they won't be paying roaming costs either. Interesting!

Which strengthens the argument for free roaming and calls abroad on all networks in the EU and elsewhere not just on Three.
  • Options
    Gaz82Gaz82 Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

edit: you are still using your SIM, its just that it is talking direct to EE via IP rather than via the local telco.

I'm assuming they would know by the IP address of the ISP router you're connected to.

I'm going to our office in Florida next week of which our network is set up to route all traffic to our head office here. It works for things like BBC iPlayer so I'm hoping EE will think my phone is still in the UK too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edit: you are still using your SIM, it's just that it is talking direct to EE via IP rather than via the local telco.

Good point, so all the SIM is doing is acting as a 'middleman' and turning on/enabling WiFi Calling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite a kick in the nuts for Samsung who thought they'd have exclusivity on WiFi calling a week or 2 before Apple with the launch of the S6 tomorrow. I wonder if this will effect sales of the S6 now.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I'm told it won't work with a non UK IP address, but BT also told me that you couldn't tether on BT Mobile lol.

It was never exclusive to the S6... Seeing it had been announced on the iPhone 6 launch.. Last year ha.

Apple very nearly made it a Samsung/Nokia exclusive, but pulled it out the bag last minute with an approval of 19.1 to fix a few issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a kick in the nuts for Samsung who thought they'd have exclusivity on WiFi calling a week or 2 before Apple with the launch of the S6 tomorrow. I wonder if this will effect sales of the S6 now.

I don't think it was something that most users would base their decision on. I think it's more that if people want android they can get the s6 and know they have access to all of the features of EE's network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it was something that most users would base their decision on. I think it's more that if people want android they can get the s6 and know they have access to all of the features of EE's network.

I read quite a few comments saying they were getting the S6 so they could have WiFi calling sooner than anyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read quite a few comments saying they were getting the S6 so they could have WiFi calling sooner than anyone else.

For some people on here and other 'techy' types yes I agree but there's a large majority who just want the latest thing.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Great thanks so much Eddy. You know more than the techies at EE who didn't know if the WiFi symbol meant it was on or not. I guess that means Airplane mode doesn't work anymore with WiFi calling activated. I guess that may cause a few problems on flights :D

I don't think it's any different. You've always been able to enable wifi in Airplane mode.
  • Options
    Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who has this working on an S5,are there any obvious IMS settings in the dialer app?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I don't think it's any different. You've always been able to enable wifi in Airplane mode.

But not for phone calls or texts. I expect phones will ring and bleep inadvertently now on planes if the phone picks up a WiFi network or if the user forgets to turn off their WiFi settings much to the annoyance of fellow passengers and flight crew.