Options

Apple Watch

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I have it set to ping and vibrate but it doesn't.

Before you paired the Watch with your iPhone, was the phone set to ring/vibrate?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I don't know where the phone gets the time from, but I'm on O2 and the time on mine is very accurate.
    What are you using as a reference? I use my radio-controlled watch.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    What are you using as a reference? I use my radio-controlled watch.

The speaking clock (pips).

I'll check again later to see if anything has changed.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if you pay nearly £600 for it then there should be some sort of security feature.

tell that to rolex
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    tell that to rolex

Not sure if it's the right feature where Apple wants to follow Rolex. If it is now a standard feature for phones, it must have crossed some apple mind that watch may need it, too.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Before you paired the Watch with your iPhone, was the phone set to ring/vibrate?

Yes it was. I even set the watch settings to custom and ticked all the alert boxes but still no texts or email alerts. It does alert me when I get WhatsApp texts though which is weird.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Not sure if it's the right feature where Apple wants to follow Rolex. If it is now a standard feature for phones, it must have crossed some apple mind that watch may need it, too.

Exactly. The anti theft "find my" feature is available on the phone, laptop, iPad and other devices so it should be on the watch.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People forget the Apple Watch app store concept, where the Watch is simply a dumb device with nearly everything running and stored on the phone.

Doing that, even a tiny Cortex M3 CPU produced at 14nm(if ARM the company allow that to happen) would likely suffice in future.
    I think the Pebble is produced on a massive 90nm.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    People forget the Apple Watch app store concept, where the Watch is simply a dumb device with nearly everything running and stored on the phone.

Doing that, even a tiny Cortex M3 CPU produced at 14nm(if ARM the company allow that to happen) would likely suffice in future.
    I think the Pebble is produced on a massive 90nm.

ARM aren't responsible for fabricating anything, they just produce the designs. If Apple or anyone else wants to try and manufacture the device at 14nm, its up to them. Nothing to do with ARM.

But you are however right, the Apple Watch is a pretty dumb device :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    ARM aren't responsible for fabricating anything, they just produce the designs. If Apple or anyone else wants to try and manufacture the device at 14nm, its up to them. Nothing to do with ARM.

But you are however right, the Apple Watch is a pretty dumb device :D

Not only that, but the cpu is just a small part of the SiP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

the watch is effectively a remote control and screen to the phone. so lose the watch and a theif gets it and they can't access your data. if you lose a phone, as well as losing the physical item you could have someone gain access to your data if security wasn't in place.

if you lose or have any device stolen, you can kiss goodbye to getting it back usually, so the security features are mainly to prevent ID theft. in some cases you can track items if they have gps etc but the watch doesn't have that either
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the watch is effectively a remote control and screen to the phone. so lose the watch and a theif gets it and they can't access your data. if you lose a phone, as well as losing the physical item you could have someone gain access to your data if security wasn't in place.

if you lose or have any device stolen, you can kiss goodbye to getting it back usually, so the security features are mainly to prevent ID theft. in some cases you can track items if they have gps etc but the watch doesn't have that either

It's not just that though. If you cannot reset the device it cannot be reused and it does not make sense to steal it. It's probably not 100%, but it complicates thieves' life. You could have something similar with the watch. It is paired with a phone, it can get its identity, identity of the owner and refuse to communicate with anything else, turning into a useless thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not just that though. If you cannot reset the device it cannot be reused and it does not make sense to steal it. It's probably not 100%, but it complicates thieves' life. You could have something similar with the watch. It is paired with a phone, it can get its identity, identity of the owner and refuse to communicate with anything else, turning into a useless thing.

I was very surprised the watch didn't have a feature like this on it.
  • Options
    PdhigginPdhiggin Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    What are delivery times being like for people? I ordered on 11th April and it's still saying despatched June. :-(
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pdhiggin wrote: »
    What are delivery times being like for people? I ordered on 11th April and it's still saying despatched June. :-(

It depends entirely on which model you are ordering. For example, the steel link versions have only just started to ship this week.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    I'm still not convinced by any smartwatch but admittedly, if it's going to get popularised, Apple are going to be the company to do it. As an Apple shareholder I guess I have to be behind it but I'm not convinced.
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pdhiggin wrote: »

I ordered the 38mm SS w/ sports band and after the initial email saying it would be 4-6 weeks, a follow up email a couple of days later stated 3-4 weeks. The watch arrived 5 days after ordering, despite placing the order on the 25th which was a Saturday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

many mobile phones have the type of functions you mention, but it doesn't stop theives from stealing them as theives often don't use the same common sense as other people. not only that, but often there is a way to make them work anyways

as far as the consumer is concerned, if the item is lost or stolen it's gone, they aren't going to get it back if the theives can't use it. the theives will usually just sell it on to someone else and it's their problem from then onwards. even a locked phone can be used as spare parts, so locked items can still have a value

anyway a watch is different in that it's usually strapped to your wrist, so less chance of losing it or having it stolen than a phone which people often leave in pockets or lying around. things that hang round your neck or worn are less likely stolen than things that aren't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPhone's Activation Lock feature credited with reducing phone theft

"iPhone theft has fallen by 40% in San Francisco, 25% in New York, and 50% in London since the so called 'kill switch' was introduced, Reuters reports."

It seems to be working, there might be other factors in play, but I don't think that iPhones went out of style. Using a phone for spare parts can't be that lucrative.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"iPhone theft has fallen by 40% in San Francisco, 25% in New York, and 50% in London since the so called 'kill switch' was introduced, Reuters reports."

It seems to be working, there might be other factors in play, but I don't think that iPhones went out of style. Using a phone for spare parts can't be that lucrative.

None of my watches, all of which are worth considerably more than an apple watch have any sort of feature to stop them being stolen or used once they are stolen. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

if it wasn't lucrative then ebay and amazon etc wouldn't be full of people selling spare parts for mobile phones

how many watches do you know have security devices to stop them being stolen?

with no gps built in, how do you think people would be able to find and get a stolen watch back?

just try thinking about what you are saying
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if it wasn't lucrative then ebay and amazon etc wouldn't be full of people selling spare parts for mobile phones

how many watches do you know have security devices to stop them being stolen?

with no gps built in, how do you think people would be able to find and get a stolen watch back?

just try thinking about what you are saying

Why thank you for encouraging me, I try my best thinking, but it hurts. It might not save one particular phone or watch, but it saved 40%. Once stolen you probably won't recover it, but if it is not usable as expected maybe the thief will try something else next time. Smartwatch is not just a watch. A normal watch cannot have a protection like a little computer can. One should not copy things slavishly, one should try to be a bit creative and use and combine what's best from both worlds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why thank you for encouraging me, I try my best thinking, but it hurts. It might not save one particular phone or watch, but it saved 40%. Once stolen you probably won't recover it, but if it is not usable as expected maybe the thief will try something else next time. Smartwatch is not just a watch. A normal watch cannot have a protection like a little computer can. One should not copy things slavishly, one should try to be a bit creative and use and combine what's best from both worlds.

perhaps instead of engaging the creative side of your brain you should engage the logical side of the brain and realise the watch does not have the ability to be locked like a phone has, as it's an extension of the phone and doesn't have wifi or 3g to enable the features that allow phones to be locked

also, have you overlooked the simple fact that watches are usually strapped to peoples arms when they are out, and people don't often remove their watches when they are out, and leave them lying around on desks etc like phones? it has been mentioned once or twice before on this thread after all
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be impossible to tie the watch to a specific iPhone, and if not connected after a certain period of time, to only show the time and nothing more. And then have it so it can't be reset and used for anything at all without authenticating with an authorised iTunes/iCloud account.

That would make the watch effectively useless if stolen, by which I'd imagine that thefts would be how existing watches are stolen - by force in a mugging, not from a pub table as you might lose a phone.

As for stolen iPhones, I'd imagine that they're very useful for parts and many stolen phones will be broken down - thus making them untraceable, and more money being made overall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    perhaps instead of engaging the creative side of your brain you should engage the logical side of the brain and realise the watch does not have the ability to be locked like a phone has, as it's an extension of the phone and doesn't have wifi or 3g to enable the features that allow phones to be locked

also, have you overlooked the simple fact that watches are usually strapped to peoples arms when they are out, and people don't often remove their watches when they are out, and leave them lying around on desks etc like phones? it has been mentioned once or twice before on this thread after all

They can store the phone identity/ apple id inside. They don't have to connect anywhere and report being stolen. They could try to connect with the phone before allowing some functionality. People take off their watches, for example when going swimming, on other occasions, too. There are things like muggings, a good pickpocket can remove your watch without you noticing a thing.

Anyway, that's enough from me on this topic.