Apple Watch

Comments

• clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that third party apps are slow but not with visibility. I only have mine set to 50 % brightness and I can easily see it outdoors in the sun. It's not perfect by a long shot but for £300 it's worth it's asking price.

But we haven't had that much sun .... and even when we have, it hasn't been that bright.

For £300 I'd expect perfect sunlight visility and more than a day out of a charge. And I'd also expect sleep tracking to be an option, rather than an awkward maybe. It is very much an early release.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was more upset about the thief having access to my information than the loss of the phone.

So I'm very upset about the lack of security on my apple watch.

Out of curiosity what level of security do android wear/galaxy gear watches offer?

I'd be more upset about the access to data too. My photos and videos (plus email, contacts etc) are backed up to the cloud so the hardware itself isn't going to be much of a loss. It can be replaced and back up and running in no time.

As for Android Wear, I don't know exactly. I know I can see on a map where my Moto 360 is but it must get the location from a connected phone, so that's pretty useless. And it seems incredibly easy to reset so someone else can take over using it.

My Pebble also has no security that I can think of.

Google should be fixing that too. All manufacturers should be doing things to actively reduce theft. But it took ages for satnav companies to implement security measures, despite the sizeable increase in damage to vehicles to steal them in the early-mid 00s.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I'd be more upset about the access to data too. My photos and videos (plus email, contacts etc) are backed up to the cloud so the hardware itself isn't going to be much of a loss. It can be replaced and back up and running in no time.

As for Android Wear, I don't know exactly. I know I can see on a map where my Moto 360 is but it must get the location from a connected phone, so that's pretty useless. And it seems incredibly easy to reset so someone else can take over using it.

My Pebble also has no security that I can think of.

Google should be fixing that too. All manufacturers should be doing things to actively reduce theft. But it took ages for satnav companies to implement security measures, despite the sizeable increase in damage to vehicles to steal them in the early-mid 00s.

You can choose to have a 4 digit number on the Apple Watch to access it if you wish which would probably deter a lot of people from stealing it.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    But we haven't had that much sun .... and even when we have, it hasn't been that bright.

For £300 I'd expect perfect sunlight visility and more than a day out of a charge. And I'd also expect sleep tracking to be an option, rather than an awkward maybe. It is very much an early release.

In London it's been pretty Sunny over the past few weeks (although not today).

I wouldn't pay anymore than the price of the sports watch though?

It's nice but not a necessity for me right now.
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can choose to have a 4 digit number on the Apple Watch to access it if you wish which would probably deter a lot of people from stealing it.

I don't think a PIN will stop thieves stealing a watch, that's probably quite far down in the though processes when carrying out the act.

No, what the PIN prevents is access to the few items of personal data the watch carries without being tethered to a phone - photos, music... the 'friends' list?

The best the thief will get is a wiped Apple Watch which can be sold on or used like any other stolen watch*.

This is a non news item hyped up and headlined because, y'know, Apple.

*We're talking like watch theft is 'a thing'. It's not. Yes, you may lose your watch. You may (God forbid) be burgled. You may have your gym locker broken into. But unlike mobile phones, watches are generally not left lying in public spaces by accident waiting to be lifted by 'thieves'.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    They can store the phone identity/ apple id inside.

creating a greater security risk?

They don't have to connect anywhere and report being stolen.

so not much point in having the feature then

They could try to connect with the phone before allowing some functionality.

as it connects with Bluetooth, if either is stolen it's not going to connect is it?

People take off their watches, for example when going swimming, on other occasions, too.

is that true? I'd have never known that

There are things like muggings, a good pickpocket can remove your watch without you noticing a thing.

in your entire life, how many people do you personally know have had a watch stolen via a mugging or pickpocket?

Anyway, that's enough from me on this topic.

let's hope so. as someone else points out, it's a non issue
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're unlikely to get many things back that are stolen, but the point is always that something that is useless to a thief is less likely to be stolen in the first place.

not really. I've never carried out a poll amongst thieves, but my knowledge and experience tells me that thieves usually steal things and sell them on to get money and get rid of the evidence. things are stolen to order, including shoplifting, or jewel heists. it's just a job to the thief

Personally, I don't think a smart watch (of any kind) is likely to be snatched off a wrist in Kensington anytime soon, compared to a 'proper' watch. Not even the gold one.

how many reports of apple watches in the entire world has anyone heard about since it launched?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thieves aren't all opportunist idiots. They steal what they can sell, and once you realise something is useless and can't be sold, you move onto something else.

People don't even try to bypass engine immobilisers on cars these days (they steal keys or carjack) and what good is a PIN protected SIM card or a phone that be killed, and isn't worth much for parts?

You might not know many criminals but there are studies that will show all this, no doubt found with some searching online.

I can't speak for watches (but stealing watches at knife point was once a thing in Kensington and Chelsea) but know quite a bit about phone thefts from my last job that had me attending raids with the police, which was before the industry started to be more proactive. And Apple has been one such company doing great things on phones, hence why it's reasonable to wonder why it wouldn't have made it so a stolen watch was totally and utterly useless, besides the value of the parts.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't bother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been reading people saying that the Apple Watch itself might not be an item that thieves want to steal, but that seeing someone with one is a surefire way of knowing that the person has an iPhone, making them a potential target for mugging.

It will of course be quite a while before we see if there's any increase in thefts, but it does make sense.

Of course, the same applies for any smartwatch, but an Apple watch says you definitely have an iPhone (and likely a decent spec one), whereas someone with a Pebble or Android Wear watch could have some some crappy £70 PAYG smartphone!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if they see somebody with MS Band they will run away :o:D
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been reading people saying that the Apple Watch itself might not be an item that thieves want to steal, but that seeing someone with one is a surefire way of knowing that the person has an iPhone, making them a potential target for mugging.

It will of course be quite a while before we see if there's any increase in thefts, but it does make sense.

Of course, the same applies for any smartwatch, but an Apple watch says you definitely have an iPhone (and likely a decent spec one), whereas someone with a Pebble or Android Wear watch could have some some crappy £70 PAYG smartphone!

I thought these thieves were really clever and know that it isn't worth stealing the iPhone because of the high level of security measures. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop trolling. They're worth a lot of money for the parts.

However it's probably a different type of thief who has the means to dispose of phones for parts than sell on in a pub, primarily to someone who ships abroad where IMEI blocking isn't relevant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop trolling. They're worth a lot of money for the parts.

However it's probably a different type of thief who has the means to dispose of phones for parts than sell on in a pub, primarily to someone who ships abroad where IMEI blocking isn't relevant.

Please don't accuse me of trolling when all I'm doing is following the conversation on here.

We seem to be saying there are 2 types of thieves.

Those that have no though for what they will take and therefore will take anything irrespective of security features.

Those that are 'clever' and will target devices they know have no security.

I can't imagine too many steal to break a phone up and sell for parts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think what you like. Apple and others can make it less worthwhile to steal phones for resale/reuse, but can't stop everything. Why you're trying to argue or 'be clever' is beyond me.

Parts are worth quite a bit, especially screens, for your information.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    zapod wrote: »
    But Apple are the market leaders in this type of device[/URL].
    That is not the type of device I was comparing it too. Of the three main divisions of functionality that a smart watch aims to provide: As a watch; as an activity tracker; as a remote adjunct to another smart device, then Apple's offering only succeeds to be near the mark in the latter.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that third party apps are slow but not with visibility. I only have mine set to 50 % brightness and I can easily see it outdoors in the sun. It's not perfect by a long shot but for £300 it's worth it's asking price.

The main issue I think is not so much with the Sport but rather with the more expensive models with the sapphire screen. The sapphire screen is so highly reflective it is practically a mirror - which accentuates the visibility issues in bright sunlight.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

I have been working in Kenya for the last couple of weeks and wearing my Apple Watch quite openly, on the basis that noone has a clue what it is. I am sure that will change :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is it holding up in the African sun? We are talking about London being sunny :D
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    That is not the type of device I was comparing it too. Of the three main divisions of functionality that a smart watch aims to provide: As a watch; as an activity tracker; as a remote adjunct to another smart device, then Apple's offering only succeeds to be near the mark in the latter.

It doesn't succeed as a watch. Got it. Must be wasting my time checking it for the time then. :confused:
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Unless you can confirm to the contrary, it seems to rely on synching the time to the mobile service provider which can be way out compared to a proper watch especially a radio controlled one. Not to mention the aesthetic appeal of a traditional watch whether as a dress item or with a sports or action man approach to design.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    The main issue I think is not so much with the Sport but rather with the more expensive models with the sapphire screen. The sapphire screen is so highly reflective it is practically a mirror - which accentuates the visibility issues in bright sunlight.

Oh yes I've heard that the sports has a better display than the apple watch due to issues with reflection. I have the sport so don't have such issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want anything less than a sapphire glass on my watch, you have to try hard to scratch it, but yes it is very reflective. I wonder if they try/tried some modification, polarisation filters and such. It looks like a backfired choice of style over substance. Every good watch has it, we'll have it, too.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless you can confirm to the contrary, it seems to rely on synching the time to the mobile service provider which can be way out compared to a proper watch especially a radio controlled one. Not to mention the aesthetic appeal of a traditional watch whether as a dress item or with a sports or action man approach to design.

It gets the time from the Internet via the iPhone, and then keeps very accurate time after that.

Design is a matter of opinion obviously. I didn't like the pictures when Apple first unveiled it, but it looks very different on the wrist. Personally, I like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very few 'proper' watches set their time by radio signal and I checked my mobile phone time (O2) against the time signal and it was spot on.

As for design, it definitely looks modern rather than traditional, but looks far better on the wrist than in the pictures.