Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These three ^^^^

Would you say the same if it were your partner
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah_1971 wrote: »
    Its also hideous and heartbreaking for the driver on train who cannot do anything other than see and hear as someone is hit by the train they are driving. Its heartbreaking for the crew and the police and even passers by who are forced to watch. Yes, it is very sad that people are driven to do this but it is very hard on the train staff, driver especially. They mostly have months off afterwards.

I'm not disputing that.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    The conductor might have just got back on the train, having had the person die in her arms on the track, as many of my colleagues have. She might then have made an announcement about a fatality and then received a load of abuse from some passengers and then snapped and said the wrong thing. We don't know the full story.

Oh stop Sarah, stop having common sense! Why not reply emotionally, why be logical!

;-)
    greenyone wrote: »
    Would you say the same if it were your partner

He'd never do that
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading more about the announcement.It wasn't just what she said it was how she said it.Her sarcastic tone and 'oh,look another jumper inconveniencing your holidays.how thoughtless of them to get up this morning and be so desperate as to choose death over life'.
    That will be her downfall.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    Reading more about the announcement.It wasn't just what she said it was how she said it.Her sarcastic tone and 'oh,look another jumper inconveniencing your holidays.how thoughtless of them to get up this morning and be so desperate as to choose death over life'.
    That will be her downfall.

Well, you could read the words as sympathy for the deceased, aimed sarcastically at callous people on the platforms. About time someone pointed out that the customer isn't always right.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    The conductor might have just got back on the train, having had the person die in her arms on the track, as many of my colleagues have. She might then have made an announcement about a fatality and then received a load of abuse from some passengers and then snapped and said the wrong thing. We don't know the full story.

From what I've read, this train was not the one involved in the fatality - it was on the same line and delayed because of it.

Your scenario is unlikely if that's the case.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting point raised above.. perhaps it was sarcasm due to complaints.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Well, you could read the words as sympathy for the deceased, aimed sarcastically at callous people on the platforms. About time someone pointed out that the customer isn't always right.

An unusual take on the subject,but relevant nonetheless.But I don't think sarcasm is in her job description.Especially regards with such a sensitive subject.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The person who made this announcement should be fired for gross misconduct. Simple.
  • MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really not a big deal. Was he meant to deliver a heartfelt eulogy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    That sounds about right. A mate of a mate works as a driver on the underground, in a little over two years he had two people go under. Then just to compound his misery he had to take quite a few months off work due to PTSD.

Was he not driven to suicide?
    That's such a shame for you. Imagine the honesty you could have shared and amusement you could have had at his funeral, by repeating this announcers words.
    His grieving families' wish would have come true.
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    I thought it to be quite amusing and very truthful
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malliday wrote: »
    Really not a big deal. Was he meant to deliver a heartfelt eulogy?

The he was a she.

Not not a heart felt euology just a bit of professionalism still i guess their employer first great western will not take your line.

After all it reflects very badly on their training.

Still it might have been bigger deal if it was one of your family or perhaps you would have taken the same stance.
  • rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    The person who made this announcement should be fired for gross misconduct. Simple.

Really? A slap on the wrist for being unprofessional perhaps, but losing their livelihood? Seems way OTT to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    It does reflect poorly on the training but I think some people are very quick to judge (not you - your posts have been balanced). I trust none of the outraged passengers will be claiming compensation for their delayed journey as that would be trading on someone's death. Or perhaps we should all be a little bit more understanding and realistic.

For sure.You could do a lot worse than this person is accused of.
    As I stated earlier.Learn and move on so it doesn't happen again.
    I have to be honest.If it was my mother/father etc that had died.I'd want to punch the announcer in the face.And I'm a peaceful person.
  • greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh stop Sarah, stop having common sense! Why not reply emotionally, why be logical!

;-)

He'd never do that

No one knows for certain how another person will act
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    It does reflect poorly on the training but I think some people are very quick to judge (not you - your posts have been balanced). I trust none of the outraged passengers will be claiming compensation for their delayed journey as that would be trading on someone's death. Or perhaps we should all be a little bit more understanding and realistic.

I think with me i try to look at the whole sorry situation and think there for the grace of god there go i .

It may sound as if people are being quick to judge i work in the NHS and we have training on how to deal with things sensitively,and i would think FGW offer similar training.

Maybe the lady making the announcement thought she was being amusing but once the police have scrapped the body from the tracks,and staff at the mortuary have to deal with the remains,and relatives told its horrible,i also feel very sorry for the train driver.
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the day of the 70s, they used to throw a plastic sheet over the body and run the trains through whilst they cleaned up.

Now, we sit for hours whilst it happens.

A few months back, after an hour delay my train went through the station where the jumper had died. Their body was obviously still on the closed station platform with a guard and a sheet over them.

I'll never understand why someone would kill themselves, however, I can be bloody annoyed that it is stopping me from getting to my kids at the end of a day at work. Throw a sheet over the body and leave them there until the end of service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keith_13 wrote: »
    Back in the day of the 70s, they used to throw a plastic sheet over the body and run the trains through whilst they cleaned up.

A few months back, after an hour delay my train went through the station where the jumper had died. Their body was obviously still on the closed station platform with a guard and a sheet over them.

I'll never understand why someone would kill themselves, however, I can be bloody annoyed that it is stopping me from getting to my kids at the end of a day at work. Throw a sheet over the body and leave them there until the end of service.

You might do if like me you worked for a charity as well as my main job, that deals with people with addictions bought on by mental health issues such as child abuse,working with people gives you a greater understanding of what they may be going through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He'd never do that

So that assumption makes it ok for you to not bother thinking about this and support mocking and disrespecting someone who has committed suicide?
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Keith_13 wrote: »

That body will be someone's kid, that body might have kids.

Your kids will still be there in an hour, they will still be there tomorrow. Someone else might not be so lucky.
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    That body will be someone's kid, that body might have kids.

Your kids will still be there in an hour, they will still be there tomorrow. Someone else might not be so lucky.

They will, but the delay means they'll be dumped at a neighbour as my wife needs to get to work.

Look at Clarke Carlisle he jumped in front of a truck. He now wants to speak with the driver who refuses to see him. He has ruined that guys life, his career and probably caused him issues at home.

I read about a bloke who killed himself up a tree at a golf course, he hung there for years until his leg fell off. No one was bothered by him and he did what he wanted to do.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh, an announcement was made, a few fairies got their knickers in a twist, 24 hours later everyone will have forgotten about the incident (except the dead person and their family). Why the need to call for her termination. It was a bit crass and insensitive, and....?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh, an announcement was made, a few fairies got their knickers in a twist, 24 hours later everyone will have forgotten about the incident (except the dead person and their family). Why the need to call for her termination. It was a bit crass and insensitive, and....?

I can see why your username is Troll Hunter now.;-)
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It goes hand in hand with my opinion on suicide

How can you possibly justify your agreement with the three posts you referred to?

And how could any of those comments have any connection with your opinion on suicide?

It's selfish?
    It's inconvenient?
    It gets in the way of you getting to work or home on time?

Where's your decency and humanity?
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid ignorant employee, I don't think they should lose their job but they shouldn't be allowed to make public announcements again