Reading list of your life

meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
Forum Member
✭✭
Now everyone has sound track of their life, a certain song that reminds them of a certain time and place, well I have a reading list!

I reread Creed by James Herbert recently, because he died. It got me thinking, this was the first book I read at Uni,

Peter James' Dreamer was the first book I read in Russia.

Robert Goddards Past caring when I git my first proper job.

What about you? Do you have one?

Comments

• clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Famous Five books remind me of being off school sick with chicken pox

The Hot Rock by Donald E Westlake - my first holiday to Tenerife

The non sci-fi works of Ian Banks - Uni

First proper job - Pratchetts Discworld
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Secret 7 by Enid Blyton
    The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks
    Red Dragon by Thomas Harris
    Various books by James Ellroy or Walter Moseley
    Now in my 40's I'm trying to read the "classics", anything from Jack London to RL Stevenson etc, so many to choose though.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Famous Five and Secret Seven books in childhood. I so wanted to be in a club like all of them and have the freedom they all had to go off and have adventures.

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge as a pre-teen - I loved that book and read it over and over again. I must see if I can get a copy and read it again as an adult.

The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe, as a young impressionable teenager, another one I re-read again and again.

As a student I tried to tackle the classics, but failed to get very far.

Now I enjoy crime thrillers and mysteries and a bit of chick lit for light relief. I'm also dipping in and out of The Kite Runner. I have a kindle and always have a 'real' book on the go as well.
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    The Pop Larkin Chronicles - was reading it in hospital after having my son

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - had just started reading it when my dad died. It took me ages to go back and finish it, and I'm not sure I could ever read it again, although I'd probably say it's the best book I've ever read :(
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    Famous Five and Secret Seven books in childhood. I so wanted to be in a club like all of them and have the freedom they all had to go off and have adventures.

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge as a pre-teen - I loved that book and read it over and over again. I must see if I can get a copy and read it again as an adult.

The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe, as a young impressionable teenager, another one I re-read again and again.

As a student I tried to tackle the classics, but failed to get very far.

Now I enjoy crime thrillers and mysteries and a bit of chick lit for light relief. I'm also dipping in and out of The Kite Runner. I have a kindle and always have a 'real' book on the go as well.

I think my literary "milestones" are quite similar to yours.

As a child - Malory Towers by Enid Blyton - I wanted to go to boarding school and have the sort of adventures those girls had. It didn't occur to me that I might miss my family! After all -they didn't!

Black Beauty and White Fang - I was animal-mad and these were moving and unromantic

At 11, I cam across "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" in the school library and it launched me into a love affair with all things Narnian, and with CS Lewis

I didn't properly discover the classics with pleasure until I was much older because we had to study them for exams: guaranteed to put us off..

These days, besides the classics every now and then, I've suddenly got into crime thrillers which was a genre that completely passed me by before. I've read the Kite Runner and seen the film