Options

Which Theatre Show Have You Enjoyed?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
Forum Member
With so many to choose from, I'm wondering what your favourite theatre show is, although I have so many myself I've seen, one of mine from the past has to be Blood Brothers with it's emotional storyline of separated twins at birth, brought up in different lifestyles, who end up fighting over the same girl with a tragic end, it narrowly pips Les Mis

I saw 'East is East' end of last week, anyone else seen it?, was very funny!!! especially the second half, stupy :D

Comments

• Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw Eddie Izzard in a small comedy run in French at a tiny theatre in Pigalle a short while back -quite brave quite fun .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't go to West End shows much because of the stupefying cost, but enjoyed Lion King and Spamalot.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avenue q
    Rock horror
    Hairspray
    Phantom of the opera
    Bewixt
    Starlight express
    Barum
    The mousetrap
    Blood brothers
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    The woman in black, fabulously chilling!
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    West Side Story - the best musical by far
    Greg Davies - seriously funny
    Waiting for Godot - astounding.
    Loathe most musicals.
    Don't believe most plays.
  • Options
    greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Book of Mormon, hysterically funny
    Wicked, just wicked
    Jersey Boys, amazing
    Hairspray
    Chicago
    Chorus Line
    And of course Les Miserables, so moving.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All The Ones Which I Chose To See:d
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    pnp63 wrote: »
    With so many to choose from, I'm wondering what your favourite theatre show is, although I have so many myself I've seen, one of mine from the past has to be Blood Brothers with it's emotional storyline of separated twins at birth, brought up in different lifestyles, who end up fighting over the same girl with a tragic end, it narrowly pips Les Mis

I saw 'East is East' end of last week, anyone else seen it?, was very funny!!! especially the second half, stupy :D

I too simply adore Les Mis and Blood Brothers.

Les Mis will always be my fave though - last year saw The Commitments which was good - also will Young in Cabaret was amazing - I love the film but the stage show blew me away (so emotional).

I saw Jesus Christ Superstar a number of times in the seventies and absolutely loved it - couple of years ago saw the 'arena' version in Manchester with Mel C and the guy who won the TV programme. It was a huuuuuge disappointment - felt very let down.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see many really, but Journey's End was fantastic - incredibly moving. There was also a Bollywood version of Much Ado About Nothing which was very well staged.

Then I saw Judi Dench and Ben Whishaw in Peter and Alice (to cross Dame Judi On Stage off my bucket list) and it was beyond dull. If I'd been there by myself I'd have sneaked out.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say all the musicals I have seen have been shit (Dirty Dancing, Fame, We Will Rock You - which was slightly better)

Also I will go against the grain and say I didn't enjoy Les Mis, I found it boring!
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    The woman in black, fabulously chilling!

This was fab! Saw it in 1999 and have recommended it ever since (seen it again since as well)

Recently saw "12 angry men" at the Garrick theatre which was amazing - a brilliant drama!
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Sondheim: A Little Night Music, Company, Sweeney Todd etc
    Rodgers & Hammerstein: South Pacific, King & I etc
    Kander & Ebb: Cabaret, Chicago
    Gypsy with Angela Lansbury
    Guys & Dolls at the NT
    Umbrellas of Cherbourg
    Rent
    Evita
    Jesus Christ Superstar

And many more!
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Phantom of the Opera always carried such hype - I was so excited when I got tickets but felt a little let down.

Interestingly when my daughter bought me tickets for the sequel 'Love Never Dies' I was underwhelmed especially as it got a bit of a panning by the critics. Guess what? I loved it - never understood it's relative failure at the box office - so much better than Phantom - IMO.
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only seen one theatre show and that was Oliver, starring Rowan Atkinson and Jodie Prenger. It was very good, but theatre ain't really my cup of tea, hence only having been once.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    rocky horror with jason donovan at the wheel.

i thought he was a talentless tw4t before i saw it but he was AMAZING!!
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chicago in London, and Midnight Tango in Edinburgh. Both were fantastic. A smaller theatre show is Rolling Back The Years, which I've just seen in Aberdeen and it was very good. I saw Cats and was bored to tears !!
  • Options
    Pam_KerrPam_Kerr Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Saw 'Oliver' in Liverpool in 1966. That was the first musical I had seen in a theatre. Loved it. More recently saw 'Warhorse' in Edinburgh. The best show I have ever seen. Loved 'Cats' which I saw in London, then again in Edinburgh, Les Mis in Manchester, Edinburgh and Norwich and Miss Saigon, Edinburgh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Godspell' with David Essex was great when I was at school, but we did get utterly smashed beforehand, so perhaps that doesn't count. :blush:
    Generally I hate Theatre (I have a real problem not thinking 'it's people on stage' for some stupid reason) but my favourites of all time would be:
    The Reduced Shakespeare Company
    Gavin Robertson's 'Thunderbirds F.A.B' :D
    ANY amateur Panto
    'Prisoner Cell Block H - The Musical' :D
    and 'Les Miserables', which I was dragged to kicking and screaming for many reasons
    :blush:
  • Options
    BedrockGBedrockG Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    One I watched in a theatre in St Petersburgh despite it being in Russian language and there being no air conditioning even though it was 45 degrees.
  • Options
    xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the theatre but I have to say my favourite was Pygmalion at Drury Lane. It starred Martine McCutchen, Dennis Waterman and Jonathan Pryce. Martine's singing was brilliant. Martine had been ill a lot of the shows and missed them but we were lucky enough to see her.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from Panto as a kid, I don't believe i've ever been to a theatre play or musical.

Never really interested me.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Man Two Guvnors with James Corden. I was never a fan but he was amazing in that.
    Cyrano with Robert Lindsay, he was excellent.
    Oliver with Jonathan Pryce, and then later on saw it again when Robert Lindsay took over the role of Fagin. The latter was the better in the part. I am not actually that much of a Lindsay fan, far too smug and up himself, but he is amazing on stage.
    I used to live in the West End and went to the theatre a lot, saw some stinkers too. Recently Barking in Essex, absolute tripe and left at half time. Shame, it had a stellar cast, Sheila Hancock, Keeley Hawes and Lee Evans.
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Book of Mormon. Absolutely loved it :):):)
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting hearing peoples different opinions of the same shows.

My top five have to be

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (seen it 21 times!)
    Les Mis,
    Blood Bros,
    Whistle Down The Wind,
    Oliver tied with The Sound of Music.

and my worst five would be

Grease,
    Carousel,
    Barnam,
    A Chorus Line,
    Starlight Express.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    The best two shows in the West End at the moment has to be The Book of Mormon and Les Mis. Also Wicked, but it's been a while since I saw that. The other two are fresh in my mind.

I've seen quite a few of West End shows over the past 5 years and I have to admit the best one i've seen was Legally Blonde with Sheridan Smith. How that only lasted 2 years I've got no idea. It was absolutely perfect :(. Blithe Spirit with the fabulous Angela Lansbury was equally brilliant, but that was only for a very limited run. I consider myself very lucky to have seen that :blush:

I've never really seen a bad show though. 39 Steps, Pricilla, Hairspray, Mousetrap, Chicago, We Will Rock You, Thriller, Lion King... all worth seeing. Most of the good stuff has gone now though IMO. I didn't care much for Phantom mind. Far too long and too much going on.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Les Mis is a great live experience, was never that bothered to see it till I saw the film, but think its a must see. Until I saw that I had not been to the theatre since school twenty years ago, kind of turned me on to London Theatre...have lived here all my life, and never really went till recent times kind of sad... When I discovered cheap tickets could be got for many shows I started to pop along quite a bit, and also checked out places like The Tricycle Theatre in Kilburn which has some great stuff, and the Leicester Square Theatre which has some interesting plays as well as standups...a good tip is the Richard Herring Podcasts which he records there, a good night out.

Spamalot and Singing In The Rain are great "interactive" fun, Incident Of Dog was very impressive.