Options

Tomorrowland...my thoughts. Spoilers ahead.

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,734
Forum Member
✭✭
Well...what can I say?

Personally I enjoyed it a lot, but I do believe its going to be a love it or hate it movie, you either go along with the concept or you don't.

The filmmakers have deliberately held back on the specifics of the plot on this one, and the trailers have been quite short teasers (though last week when I saw Mad Max there was an extended trailer, which centered around one specific scene). The first thing I will say is that this is Disney...very Disney.

And by that I don't mean cute and cuddly, but very much in tune with the spirit of Disney, specifically with the more futuristic, visionary aspects of Disney such as Epcot, worlds of tomorrow, and the worlds fair also plays a big part in the story.

I will give a brief outline of the plot (as best as I can remember it) just to give an idea, but if you don't want to know then don't read any further.

Clooney's character as a young boy visits the worlds fair in 1964 with a jet pack he has invented, which does not really work. He meets an enigmatic young girl who beckons him to follow her and some mysterious strangers underneath the complex...and finds himself transported to a futuristic city, the world of tomorrow. The city has been built by the finest minds and intellects of the human race, who have been tracked down through time by agents for the sole purpose of building a better tomorrow...but something goes wrong, and for various reasons the world of the future has a negative effect on the present day, and it is up to Clooney's character and his new found companions to prevent the end of the world...(I think).

At first, I was not sure where the film was going. It does take time for the various plot strands to reveal themselves. But in the end I found myself intrigued and gripped by the story. Though it does have many feel-good elements, it also has some distinctly cynical and dark ones as well.

And without question, this sets a new benchmark in terms of visuals and effects. It looks absolutely stunning (you HAVE to see it on an IMAX screen), and the level of detail and spectacle is second to none.

My standout scenes are an assault on Clooneys fortified, hi-tech house by robot agents and the escape-by-rocket-powered-bathtub sequence...an extraordinary set-piece involving the Eiffel Tower...the dizzying spectacle of Tomorrowland itself, and an absolutely compelling and frightening speech by Hugh Laurie's character concerning the fate of mankind...And a wonderfully geeky sequence in a sci-fi memorabilia shop that will definitely make you smile.

Comments

• Options
    TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the review. I wasn't going to bother going to see the film but it actually sounds okay so I might go after all.
  • Options
    swishbabyswishbaby Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Tremse wrote: »
    Thanks for the review. I wasn't going to bother going to see the film but it actually sounds okay so I might go after all.

Save yourself the money and the bother, it's an awful film. Mawkish utopian ideology, with a plot that has more holes in it than Swiss cheese!
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swishbaby wrote: »
    Save yourself the money and the bother, it's an awful film. Mawkish utopian ideology, with a plot that has more holes in it than Swiss cheese!

I never understand comments like this. I get that you hated it, fine.

But for you to actually tell people they should not watch it is extremely arrogant, and presumptious.

I even said in my comments that I don't believe it is for everybody and will polarise opinions. But that said I give my thoughts and opinion, a description of the plot and a sense of what the film is about. After that its up to the individual to make up their own mind. I would NEVER presume to tell someone not to go and see a film.

And even on those very, very rare occasions I may do so, it would be with something so absolutely dreadful in every department that it would be a no brainer...and that's not the case here.

Whether a professional review from a publication or a website, or simply an online, personal fan review, reviews are simply a guide, an opinion by which those who read them can make up their own mind as to whether the film is for them or not.

And indeed, though I personally liked the film, I am not telling people they should watch it...that is not for me to say, that is their choice.

What on earth is wrong with just giving your opinion on what you thought of the movie, and leaving it at that?
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact the girl from Under The Dome *shudder* is the lead actress is making me shy away
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just got back from watching it and really enjoyed it

it's quite a thought provoking film for something of this type and the world created along with the ingenuity of the ideas was spectacular
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also really liked it. Methinks you need to go into it with an uncynical 'we're going to DisneyWorld' mentality but if you go in with that mindset there is a lot to enjoy. Loved Hugh Laurie's heel speech near the end.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this too. It's not a bad film, but it wasn't as good as i thought it would be. It's definetely an 'ideas' film and there's a message. That i wasn't too fussed about.

The problem for me is that the first 2/3 of the film is genuinely good. The final 1/3 where Frank, Casey and Athena go to Tomorrowland and take on Hugh Laurie's character and try to save the world is where it got bogged down for me and i became restless and just wanted the film to end. It's lasts 2hrs 10mins and definetely feels long. The 2 best scenes in the film is Frank's house and the sci-fi memorobilia shop.

Britt Robertson as Casey is good and Raffey Cassidy as Athena is very good and the standout of the entire film. She rocks! They kept her hidden in the trailers! George Clooney is just George Clooney and Hugh Laurie plays the villain and isn't a good one either. I liked his monologue at the end but i was getting so bored by that point i just couldn't give a toss. So yeah it's just alright but something different if you're in the mood for that sort of thing.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it and I like the concept of the film urging us to question what are the true barriers to a better future for humanity. On some levels it was quite deep.