Who has surprised you post xf?

shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
Forum Member
Which acts were you not a fan of during the lives shows but have been impressed with their material post xfactor?

Also has anyone disappointed you with their musical direction? If so what kind of sound do you think they should go for?

My choices are

Olly Murs - I wasn't a fan of series 6 tbh..and didn't think much of Olly but I love his last few singles (Heart Skips A Beat and Dance With Me Tonight) and his last album was pretty decent.

Diana Vickers - I actually thought she was pretty overrated on the show...but I listened to her album and was pleasantly surprised by it. I love The Boy Who Murdered Love and Notice. I hope she makes a comeback soon!

Amelia Lily - She was not my favourite last year (other than ET at judges houses I didn't think much of her)...but You Bring Me Joy is one of my most played songs of 2012! Excited to hear her debut album.

A few slight disappointments

JLS - I think their debut album was pretty good but the last two have been generic as hell.

Rebecca Ferguson - I think she could have took more of a risk with her sound...i.e a bit more dancey (not generic dance but something with a 90s influence maybe?)

Comments

• RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misha B. I hated her on the show. Hate is a strong word but the pantomine that is Xfactor does bring out those kind of emotions. Her first two singles though have been brilliant and ill be buying the album :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Aiden Grimshaw. Came across as a sore loser on x factor and I thought his voice was a bit put on. The music he has released has really impressed me though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one really, most are predictably milking their fleeting celebrity, those who have reallty made names for themselves were shoe-ins anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    Misha B. I hated her on the show. Hate is a strong word but the pantomine that is Xfactor does bring out those kind of emotions. Her first two singles though have been brilliant and ill be buying the album :D

This. Wasn't a big fan of her on the Live Shows (apart from the Proud Mary performance) but her first two singles are great! Looking forward to hearing the album.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,134
    Forum Member
    One Direction. They were decent on the show, but their debut single was, at the time, one of the best songs I had ever heard, so catchy! They harmonies/vocals had also improved.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Misha B - didn't like her on the show, in love with her now, her 2 singles are amazing.
    One Direction - didn't like them on the show, i think they're ok now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    Jedward :o

They are actually much more talented than people thought they were. I've only just found out they play instruments, write their own songs and direct their own videos (:eek:), etc.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1D and Cher Lloyd. Their international success amazes me.
  • OMGItsAnnieOMGItsAnnie Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    1D and Cher Lloyd. Their international success amazes me.

Me too, baffles me.
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    nooneoo wrote: »
    Jedward :o

They are actually much more talented than people thought they were. I've only just found out they play instruments, write their own songs and direct their own videos (:eek:), etc.

Ha! I actually like Lipstick and Waterline :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Positive
    Olly Murs
    Diana Vickers
    Rebecca Ferguson
    Matt Cardle's second album

Middle ground
    Jedward (some cheesy singles, but Waterline is actually very good!)
    Aiden (will be interested to see if he does a second album)

Negative
    Joe (that almost falsetto album then a opera/Christmas album- shame really, I did quite enjoy his X Factor performances).
    Cher (Something about her doesn't sit well with me; then again I wasn't keen on her on X Factor)

All the rest I don't know.
  • steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cher Lloyd her international success baffles me. 1D were always going to do well oversees because of there cuteness factor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    and Olly, I never expected him to do that well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eoghan Quigg - surprised me when he appeared from behind the window the other day on Celebrity Juice.
  • RevenReven Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebecca - not a bad album at all.

Jedward a bit - wasn't surprised they were successful but they were probably a bit more successful than I would have thought.

Olly - people actually buy his albums in decent quantities? :eek: That's more surprising to me than him presenting the Xtra Factor as I remember Simon liking him a lot.

1D - taking over the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    Well not Aiden, Diana and Amelia as I was already big fans

Going to say Jedward who have had some catchy songs like Lipstick and Cher Lloyd who's album I was very impressed with and Beautiful People was one of the best pop songs of last year
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »

Complete opposite for me. Loved her on the show and thought she was probably the most talented female they've ever had. Heard both of her singles and thought 'meh'. She is worth better than the material she's bringing out imo.

JLS. I do like them but think they've sold out. They're better than the generic stuff they churn out.

Completely bemused at the success of Olly Murs, Cher Lloyd, 1D and Jedward
  • FatfeatheryowlFatfeatheryowl Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olly - always thought he'd be a bit cheesy, and maybe he is but he wears it well and he's done very very well. Good luck say I.

The level of 1D's success surprised me totally but not the fact they were very successful.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    Agree with the person who said Jedward, they seem like nice lads. Musically, no thanks, but as people they seem ok.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Werserism wrote: »
    Aiden Grimshaw. Came across as a sore loser on x factor and I thought his voice was a bit put on. The music he has released has really impressed me though.

I agree with this I did actually like Aiden on the show but never had him pegged down as a winner.

His album though is actually really really good. I really like it. :)
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm honestly baffled by Olly Murs' success, as I thought he was average in all aspects. I certainly didn't expect it after he was was easily beaten by Joe in the final of his year. I think he's been lucky that there's a market for him and his team clearly know what they're doing.

Two acts that I'm surprised aren't bigger are Alexandra Burke and Cher Lloyd, although I think that's largely down to mismanagement for both of them. Alexandra's career post X-Factor has been almost a masterclass on how not to promote, market and style an artist. I'm not a Cher fan but her album should be doing better on both sides of the Atlantic. At least her US team seem to have a clue what to do with her.
  • FatfeatheryowlFatfeatheryowl Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    I agree with this I did actually like Aiden on the show but never had him pegged down as a winner.

His album though is actually really really good. I really like it. :)

Not sure Aiden "surprised" me as he always appeared talented. The puzzle for me was why he went backwards in the voting week by week. Pleased he's found a niche and hope he can sustain it commercially to keep it going.
  • djc_22djc_22 Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it has to be Rachel Adedeji. Absolutely hated her on the show but her songs has been rather good imo. :)
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One direction have very good songwriters. They themselves are nothing special and any of them could be replaced by another young lad
  • ChuhChuh Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aiden Grimshaw and Misha B - wasn't a fan of either whilst they were on XF however have loved both singles they've both released since :)