Roku UK

hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently got a Roku streaming stick mainly because I read that you could receive nearly 700+ channels.

However, the UK version seems very empty and there's only a handful of channels, most of which are either crap, cost loads or don't work at all.

Are there any more channels I can get?

Comments

• dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    There's much more then their used to be. BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5, Netflix, Now TV, YouTube, BBC Sport, Spotify. Sky Store..
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    I recently got a Roku streaming stick mainly because I read that you could receive nearly 700+ channels.

However, the UK version seems very empty and there's only a handful of channels, most of which are either crap, cost loads or don't work at all.

You can receive hundreds of channels but no one said they were good, bit like Sky and FreeSat really.:D
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    There's much more then their used to be. BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5, Netflix, Now TV, YouTube, BBC Sport, Spotify. Sky Store..

The website says there's 500+ channels yet there's nowhere near that much. I have YouTube, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4od, Demand 5, Netflix, TuneIn and a few more but there just isn't that much to choose from in the store.

I thought there would be live channels and services like TVCatchup, TVplayer etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not bothering to do any counting but my guess is the figure they state for channels is Worldwide and if so, is a bit misleading but that’s how things are these days.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    Not bothering to do any counting but my guess is the figure they state for channels is Worldwide and if so, is a bit misleading but that’s how things are these days.

& like the previous poster has stated 99% of em aren't worth having on ya roku! 💩💩💩

(Give us Amazon prime dammit!!!!) 🙏🙏🙏
  • maninthemaskmaninthemask Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    cancelling my amazon prime video subscription today, given up waiting for it to be on my roku.!!!!
  • gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what i've seen scattered around various social media sources VUTV and TVplayer are working on apps for ROKU.
    Someone said it's Sky that's stopping Amazon prime from launching on ROKUuk as Sky own part of ROKU.
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »

Steady on there. First of all, Quantity does not relate to quality. Even if there were 700+ channels (globally) it would be a long stretch to imagine 99% of them to be anything but niche or simply crap.

And I wouldn't exactly knock the UK version, for as far as free content goes, it beats the US one by a long shot. The UK version (as mentioned by others here) covers ALL of the main UK FTA catch-up services, which when you include the BBC and 4oD, is a lot of free content.

The US version does not have all of the free to air American catch-up services by a long shot, and except for PBS, the few that it does have only offers a tiny amount of their actual content unless you pay for a cable service as well. So, imagine if you only got 4oD, ITV and Demand 5 content on the Roku in the UK if you were also a Sky subscriber - that's what it is like for Americans.

If you still think it is bad, check out how many FTA catch-up services are offered in Canada and Ireland and then compare it again.

You can always switch your Roku to the US version if you like and take a look for yourself. You will need a compatible DNS or good VPN service set up on your router, and for the most part, you will also need to dish out more money for access to great US services like Hulu.
  • x6461x6461 Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Google Play now added to Roku.
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, a pleasant surprise considering Google has the Chromecast. Also worth noting you sign up with Roku, you the 1st x-men film free.
  • ClusterbombedClusterbombed Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    It's also worth noting that Google regularly gives films away for free, to get you to use the system. In recent months I've had Shaun The Sheep and Gravity (as well as X Men for signing up with Roku)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's also worth noting that Google regularly gives films away for free, to get you to use the system. In recent months I've had Shaun The Sheep and Gravity (as well as X Men for signing up with Roku)

Also if you ue google opinions app on your android phone you can build up the credit you earn from it to buy stuff on google video too.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been looking for a streaming solution for the upstairs TV and Roku sounds like it will fit the bill.
    I was only looking for the 4 catchup services and Netflix but after reading that blog it lists lots of channels that i'd like.

What are the advantages/disadvantages with the streaming stick over the Roku box?

Would it be a internal memory size issue with the stick?

Whats the difference?
  • Dr.PhloxDr.Phlox Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    I've been looking for a streaming solution for the upstairs TV and Roku sounds like it will fit the bill.
    I was only looking for the 4 catchup services and Netflix but after reading that blog it lists lots of channels that i'd like.

What are the advantages/disadvantages with the streaming stick over the Roku box?

Whats the difference?

Streaming stick is HDMI direct into the TV. Supports 1080p and 5.1/7.1 Sound. Dual Band (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wifi)
    Roku 1 = 720p only. Bag of nails. Don't bother.
    Roku 2 = 1080p, headphone jack in remote. WiFi only.
    Roku 3 = 1080p, headphone jack in remote, 5.1/7.1 Sound, Dual Band Wifi, Ethernet port, USB socket for attaching a thumb drive or the like to play back local media.

I have a streaming stick and it's perfect for my needs as I have unrestricted access to the WiFi at work and at the hotel I use near our HQ, so I can use it pretty much anywhere I need to.

The only gripe I have with it is that the remote sometimes takes ages to get going.

The Remote on the streaming stick is via Wi-Fi Direct, whereas the set-top boxes are either IR or BlueTooth if memory serves. If you have an Android phone or an iPhone there's also an official app you can use as a remote which sometimes works better than the one supplied.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr.Phlox wrote: »
    Streaming stick is HDMI direct into the TV. Supports 1080p and 5.1/7.1 Sound. Dual Band (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wifi)
    Roku 1 = 720p only. Bag of nails. Don't bother.
    Roku 2 = 1080p, headphone jack in remote. WiFi only.
    Roku 3 = 1080p, headphone jack in remote, 5.1/7.1 Sound, Dual Band Wifi, Ethernet port, USB socket for attaching a thumb drive or the like to play back local media.

I have a streaming stick and it's perfect for my needs as I have unrestricted access to the WiFi at work and at the hotel I use near our HQ, so I can use it pretty much anywhere I need to.

The only gripe I have with it is that the remote sometimes takes ages to get going.

The Remote on the streaming stick is via Wi-Fi Direct, whereas the set-top boxes are either IR or BlueTooth if memory serves. If you have an Android phone or an iPhone there's also an official app you can use as a remote which sometimes works better than the one supplied.

Roku1 is 1080p i have this one and it is defo 1080p and not a bag of nails at all, it is quite quick and does everything the roku 2 and 3 does with ease, 3 is obviously the best Roku.
    Roku 1 also has 5.1 and 7.1 sound passthrough.
    I think you might of been refering to the ROKU lte which is 720p.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »

Whats the difference?

I would just say buy one and try for yourself, I did starting with a stick and now have 2 streaming sticks and a Roku 3.

Can’t go much wrong for less than fifty quid for the stick or even the Roku 1 that I’ve seen for £40 in my local Tesco.

The only thing I would say to look out for between the stick and module versions is that some TV’s have their HDMI sockets facing straight out of the back of the TV and this can cause problems with the sticks if you have the TV close to a wall like I have in my kitchen.

Internal memory size is not a problem for streamers and AFAIK the Micro SD card on my Roku 3 is just for games but I don’t use that side of things but it’s also used for storing more channels and I have all the UK’s catch-up channels, Netflix and about 8 others on my sticks . I don’t know what the limit is for how many channels you can store but I don’t think this will be a problem unless you add every channel just for the sake of it.

The only thing other thing with the Roku 1 is I don’t think its dual band wifi like the others.

http://www.roku.com/uk/choose-your-roku
  • whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

I have 2 Us roku streaming sticks from the USA.

Both Netflix, Amazon and Hulu are all on it and are excellent !

Use amazon.com

You do need to register a credit card to use the Roku - and you can just "make up" a usa address to get it going.

Both been going 6 months now and they are brilliant.

I know this is a UK thread but thought the chap awaititng amazon prime would be interested in this.

Dave