Is Sabrina the most succesful female comic book character?

CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,382
Forum Member
✭✭
as I recently found out Sabrina The Teenage Witch is from Archie Comics, an the MJH TV series was not her first. She has had 3 (or 4 depending on how you count animated series, the first of which from 1970 the latest in 2013.

We have one live action movie, and the TV series starring Melissa Joan Hard.

Ok she is not a Superhero, but in terms of a feamel comic book character who is the lead she has been very successful, alot of the easy comparisons dont fair as well, ok Wonderwoman did have her own TV show, but never her own cartoon series, but obviously a bit part in the Justice League series.

Black Widow a supporting character in 3 movies, but not the lead.

As I type it, it might be better to say that Sabrina is the most succesful female comic book character outside of the comics

Comments

• JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's entirely subjective, but the unlikely answer could well be Harley Quinn currently; her comic is the best selling female led one and she presumably is a major part of the Suicide Squad movie.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    It's entirely subjective, but the unlikely answer could well be Harley Quinn currently; her comic is the best selling female led one and she presumably is a major part of the Suicide Squad movie.
    but no TV series, however no question once the movie happens she will become a big deal
  • nainznainz Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brenda Starr had a certain following.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

technically harley quinn is a cartoon character as she was on an animated batman show before she was in the comics
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    technically harley quinn is a cartoon character as she was on an animated batman show before she was in the comics
    this just got complicated.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    but no TV series, however no question once the movie happens she will become a big deal

She appeared in one episode of Arrow
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    its something, however I would say that appearing in one episode of Arrow does not make you a thing, many characters feature in 1 episode of something, and are not a thing, Smallville had plenty of them.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She probably is on name recognition and actual success combined. I had no idea she was originally a comic book character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

That could even be speculative, as she's not shown in person or referred to by name.
  • Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    That could even be speculative, as she's not shown in person or referred to by name.

Think it's pretty obvious that it was Harley Quinn. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    She probably is on name recognition and actual success combined. I had no idea she was originally a comic book character.
    yes there is alot more to Sabrina than Melissa Joan Hart, if you look into her.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine in terms of longevity and sales numbers that honour goes to her Archie stablemates Betty & Veronica. All the Archie stuff vastly outsells DC and Marvel - always has.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    I would imagine in terms of longevity and sales numbers that honour goes to her Archie stablemates Betty & Veronica. All the Archie stuff vastly outsells DC and Marvel - always has.
    but no much in the way of TV and movies, unlike Sabrina.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but no much in the way of TV and movies, unlike Sabrina.

True, they were in a couple of animated series in the 60s and 70s though. Kind of surprising there haven't been more recent attempts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    True, they were in a couple of animated series in the 60s and 70s though. Kind of surprising there haven't been more recent attempts.
    should we expect to see a series of movies, set in the Archie universe? do all the Archie characters have solo comics, and team up from time to time, to defeat stuff?
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    They do team-ups from time to time, but rights issues would stop them being adapted. The most notable examples are probably Archie teaming up The Punisher (joint published by Archie and Marvel) and Mega Man teaming up with Sonic the Hedgehog (two licensed video game franchises).

The majority of Archie's output is humour, and the ones that aren't are licensed titles. They used to have a superhero line, but that was never a success. A lot of their comics are spin-offs from the one that gave the company it's name. Sabrina included, going by issue 1's cover, which shows Sabrina watching Archie sing on TV: http://www.comicvine.com/sabrina-the-teenage-witch-1-strange-love/4000-136391/
  • dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have one live action movie, and the TV series starring Melissa Joan Hart.

Also appears in the "Sugar Sugar" video
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave2702 wrote: »

That's not the Baby Bash one, is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave2702 wrote: »
    lol I had not consider factoring in music video appearances into this.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interesting
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Wonder Woman - a TV show, lots of animated appearances. One of DC's big three in terms of merchandise sales and a proper film coming up.

She's also had her own comic book running continuously since the early 40's unlike Sabrina who isn't even being published right now.
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    A good case could be made for Barbara Gordon.

She's never had a lead in any TV or movie other than the quickly failed Birds of Prey TV show, but she's BEEN in a lot of projects in various media in a lot of different forms. She's been a character in almost every Batman reboot, animated or live action (the 1940s movie serials and the recent "Beware The Batman!" cartoon, I think maybe being the only TV or movie bat-projects she was never part of) and simply because of the sheer number of those that exist, it ups her totals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gslam2 wrote: »
    It's Wonder Woman - a TV show, lots of animated appearances. One of DC's big three in terms of merchandise sales and a proper film coming up.

She's also had her own comic book running continuously since the early 40's unlike Sabrina who isn't even being published right now.
    I guess she has done ok in animated terms, but compared to Batman and Superman, there is a worrying lack of lead roles, outside of the 70s TV show, not even a Wonderwoman cartoon series.

As for Barbara Gordon, its someone I had not considered, wonder how many non comic book types, could name her, sure they might say "Bat Girl" but not Barbara Gordon.
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    I guess she has done ok in animated terms, but compared to Batman and Superman, there is a worrying lack of lead roles, outside of the 70s TV show, not even a Wonderwoman cartoon series.

As for Barbara Gordon, its someone I had not considered, wonder how many non comic book types, could name her, sure they might say "Bat Girl" but not Barbara Gordon.

The reason I said Barbara Gordon and not Batgirl though was because she's been Barbara Gordon but NOT Batgirl in several things--Birds of Prey (where she was Oracle), Batman Beyond (where she was Police Commissioner Barbara Gordon) and at least a few of the animated movies that were set before she became Batgirl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    The reason I said Barbara Gordon and not Batgirl though was because she's been Barbara Gordon but NOT Batgirl in several things--Birds of Prey (where she was Oracle), Batman Beyond (where she was Police Commissioner Barbara Gordon) and at least a few of the animated movies that were set before she became Batgirl.
    kinda my point, its getting a bit nerdy, and alot of the non comic book fan (who would recongise Sabrian, but not as a comic book character), would not instantly recongise the name, and link her to various characters