Options

Britain Radio 355

Comments

• Options
    KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioRob wrote: »
    IIRC they were still off-frequency after the swap, so the nasty heterodyne was still there making Radio 390 the station of choice after dark.
    The reason nothing changed is because they never changed the frequencies - they just swapped studios.:D
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope it comes onto tunein then i will give it a shot on my smartphone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who were not around in 1966, here are a few recordings from the Azanorak website of the original Britain Radio - so that you can compare it with the on-line version.

First Test Transmission With Q Tone 3rd May 66 on 227 mtrs (on this recording the aerial insulators were arching as they tried to increase the power up to 50kW).

Jerry Smithwick 3rd May 66 on 227 mtrs

Ron O'Quinn (now on KBC 6095 kHz on the 49mb 3pm Sundays) and Johnnie Walker 11th June 66 on 355 mtrs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's another recording online somewhere with Graham Gill presenting the BR breakfast show.

He's doing the live time checks and mail readouts but there's also an American voice doing the music announcements, presumably from tape. The result is an awkward mess in my opinion, despite GG's best efforts.

Was the tape+live programming some US tradition they imported along with the shouty jocks on SRE? Or was the tape playout due to a thin onboard MOR album library at the time?

It would be great to get Graham's input if he's reading this. His is a grand voice which has spanned several decades and both sides of the North Sea.
  • Options
    number6number6 Posts: 1,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying Britain Radio and, like others, wondering who is behind it.

Spooky thing, tonight at 19:53, at the end of a jingle, were the words "Britain Radio" and I could swear that it was Ray Anderson.
  • Options
    Excess BaggageExcess Baggage Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    number6 wrote: »
    Enjoying Britain Radio and, like others, wondering who is behind it.

Spooky thing, tonight at 19:53, at the end of a jingle, were the words "Britain Radio" and I could swear that it was Ray Anderson.

'Oh my good gawd.... Terry!........ Hit him Terry.....

Yeah, all right Arfur....'
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That link connected to the VLC player for me and gave me a shortcut. No need to lock on, just open the player!:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The truth is out!

http://members7.boardhost.com/PirateRadio/msg/1336689634.html

Good news is that it is going to continue!
  • Options
    paul epaul e Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Well done that man ......Garry Stevens !!!
  • Options
    ErwinErwin Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to hear who's behind this wonderful station. I hope he makes it available on the TuneIn radio app for mobile phones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep agree with that comment Erwin.:)
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just posted on Gary Stevens board :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britain Radio 355 are running a full set of the Original Jingles, many never before heard in the UK or anywhere else, ever!

Your chance to hear them now, as well as sweet misic, al la Radio 390.

Smooth sounds from the smart set, hallmark of quality, Britain Radio......
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Hallmark of quality, Britain Radio, for this, that and the other!!:rolleyes::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember the truncated versions used by BR's watery successor, Radio 355?

"Hallmark of Quality..." er, that was it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no posibilty to listen via the TuneIn radio app.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No but his other station RNI is good though on tune in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Erwin wrote: »
    Still no posibilty to listen via the TuneIn radio app.

http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=165778 will get you there. They misspelt BRITAIN as BRITIAN....Enjoy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britain Radio 355 are running a full set of the Original Jingles, many never before heard in the UK or anywhere else, ever!
    Smooth sounds from the smart set, hallmark of quality, Britain Radio......
    I listened for a couple of hours today and it sounded good except for Gary's awful butchered jingles. Poor edited jingles are the only thing that spoil the station. A few generic Pam's jingles from that period wouldn't do any harm like 123, Have You Heard, It's Nice To Have A Radio Station As A Friend, Marathon Of Hits, Music Memories From The Gold Mine, Nothing But Oldies and you can do edits like "Playing The Hits From The Radio Ships" and there are loads of generic jingles that could be edited with Britain Radio tagged on the end but it must flow and sound right.

Interestingly you can edit out Britain in some of the Britain Radio jingles and you get a generic jingle like "Hallmark Of Quality Radio", it sounds strange at first because you expect to hear 'Britain'. I would upload a few examples but these days they get zapped because of the copyright.

Here are a few BR jingles from Norman Barrington's site.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pangaea wrote: »
    http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=165778 will get you there. They misspelt BRITAIN as BRITIAN....Enjoy

Aha ok, that's such a long search with wrong spelling;) Thanks!
  • Options
    ozbritozbrit Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    I've had a couple of listens to this station and enjoy it, but it won't for me become a replacement for a 'real' radio station. I remember the pirates, they used to have presenters, some news headlines, the odd advert (remember the stimarol gum ads) and DJ's told you who the records were by.

Otherwise imo this station for many, will be of only a passing interest unless they do more.

The only other point I'll make is regarding the quality of the mp3 feed, Windows media is better for a 128kbps stream and 64kbps AAC+ even better. I know this sounds strange coming from a lad who used to strain to hear pirates broadcasting in MW on his tinny sounding 4 transistor radio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozbrit wrote: »
    the odd advert

Silexine Emulsion
    Silexine Gloss
    [Fill in the rest of the song yourselves. You know you want to.]
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silexine Emulsion
    Silexine Gloss

"Get it from the factory...
    At half the cost...
    Put it on your paintbrush, then it can be seen..
    No other paint is half as good as Silexine!"

I'd get out more if they would let me!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No other paint is half as good as Silexine!

Hmmm that sounds like the magnolia mix you're singing there L&H. In the one I'm familiar with -- after a ridiculous number of years -- the last line is

"Wonderful, marvellous Silexine"

[Waving from the day ward window]
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silexine Emulsion
    Silexine Gloss

:) at half the cost.............. or something like that!