Britain Radio 355

124»

Comments

• Options
    Excess BaggageExcess Baggage Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new month and some new songs!:cool:

The library continues to grow, and the ident of the station continues to get stronger. I really think this could turn out to be one of those rare internet stations that succeeds due to it's niche position.

Nice to hear some spoken id's too, gives a more homely feel.

Now, just need a personality ot two.........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We discussed the 355 heterodyne earlier in this thread.

I've been listening to the 1967 closedown broadcast. It's an off-air recording with the whistle present. Assuming the tape recording was played back with reasonable speed accuracy, the heterodyne measures 979 Hertz. Or cycles per second as they tended to be in those days.

Well done and thanks to "dave_bar2001" for the good quality recording, hosted on azanorak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, having being enjoying the ever-expanding playlist of Britain Radio 355 for the last few weeks, and incidentally gaining respect from a number of friends who initially poo-pooed it when I had it streaming in the garden (on a rare nice day!), and who have subsequently moved in comfortably with the mellow output, I wonder what the next move should be?

One thing may be to start tailoring the days output (if the confuser is able) to nominal 'programme' slots or types. e.g. breakfast/afternoon/drive/evening etc., where the type and tempo of output could be adjusted accordingly. It just may add to the identity of the station. Just imagine 3 million housewives enjoying that certain type of morning music as they wash, clean and iron there way through the day! Ha ha! :eek:
    No, this is a serious suggestion and I would be interested to hear others' views.

Lots more track too, rarely a repeat is heard,well done that man!
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its quite good, bit like Smooth radio 50s/60s could be
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now playing:
    CC Catch - One night in Africa

Well I must have been away from a radio the first time that one came around. Never heard of it. Europop of the mid seventies, I'd guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to play a number of Dutch and even French records too. I've not heard many of them before.
    'Spose it adds to the international flavour tho'.
    Just need some people on it!
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed its really good I listen on my phone via tune In and love it and I also like RNI so well done Mr Stevens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great selection of music tonight:
    The Spoetniks - Atlantis (was that the version used by the Belgian pirate?)
    Mireille Matthieu - La dernière valse
    Pussy Cat - Let Freedom Range
    Roy Orbison - Blue Angel
    Garry Mills - Look For A Star
  • Options
    Seagull259Seagull259 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioRob wrote: »
    The Spoetniks - Atlantis (was that the version used by the Belgian pirate?)

It was used by the Flemish service from the Jeanine.

http://www.offshoreechos.com/offshorethemes/stations%20a-d.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Seagull.

When you come across a song or version that you had only ever heard from one radio station (and if it's a closing theme, you've heard it over and over from that single source) the feeling of nostalgia is quite overwhelming.

Now added to my "must buy" list, and a good excuse for a weekend break in Belgium rummaging through old record shops.
  • Options
    Seagull259Seagull259 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioRob wrote: »
    Thanks Seagull.

When you come across a song or version that you had only ever heard from one radio station (and if it's a closing theme, you've heard it over and over from that single source) the feeling of nostalgia is quite overwhelming.

Now added to my "must buy" list, and a good excuse for a weekend break in Belgium rummaging through old record shops.

No problem Rob. Please PM me as have a bit more on the Spoetniks single.
  • Options
    Michael RossMichael Ross Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Been enjoying this station for some time now until it disappeared from both Tune In and the internet. Anyone know whether this is a temporary or permanent shutdown?
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been enjoying this station for some time now until it disappeared from both Tune In and the internet. Anyone know whether this is a temporary or permanent shutdown?

I don't know but also checked Atlantis 312 that site isn't working as well:confused:
  • Options
    number6number6 Posts: 1,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    I don't know but also checked Atlantis 312 that site isn't working as well:confused:

Both are working fine for me, using Tune In, on I Pad.
  • Options
    Michael RossMichael Ross Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Britain Radio indeed back on Tune In after a 48hr break.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I would just like to thank all the relevant posters in this thread for their positive comments concerning the internet revival of Britain Radio 355.

As you may now be aware, the station has a small team of presenters making programmes for the station, and these can be heard on Sundays commencing at 10.00am, UK time. The programme schedule can be found on the station website, and my own particular show is broadcast at 3.00pm.

Thanks again for your support and interest, and I look forward to heaing from you.

Dave Williams
  • Options
    KatiehargreavesKatiehargreaves Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Britain Radio is not completely jockless. They have the odd presenter led show on Sundays. Probably voicetracked
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katiehargreaves.
    Was there a point to your post ?
    Or did you just want to repeat what Dave Williams said in post no.92 from yesterday
  • Options
    MrRayDOMrRayDO Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they all work for this station and use DS for a free add
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes no never mind. :p

it's a good, if not continuous, listen!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    MrRayDO wrote: »
    they all work for this station and use DS for a free add

The internet revivial of Britain Radio is run on a purely not for profit basis, and could be best described as a "hobby station". In recent years a number of such stations have sprung up on the internet.

To suggest that we "work" for Britain Radio is factually incorrect. None of the presenters receive any payment whatsoever. In fact, everyone involved with this, or a number of other similar stations, has invested considerable amounts of their own time and money to be able produce radio programmes. While I cannot speak for everyone, I can confirm that all the programmes I make are recorded in my own studio, in "real-time", and are definately not "voice-tracked".

So why do we do it ?

It's a hobby. Some people collect stamps, others play golf or whatever.
    Some people like to make radio programmes. It's as simple as that.

We are under no illusions about becoming rich or famous from it. We are not in competition with each other, or any other station for that matter. We enjoy what we do, and we just hope that anyone who happens to be listening, will enjoy what they hear.

Best wishes - Dave Williams
  • Options
    number6number6 Posts: 1,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't work for, and have no connection with, Britain Radio 355 but I often listen when in the right mood. It is very consistent and well produced.
    Hobby station or not, it's on my presets. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check out their live presented Sunday shows, VERY good and appropriate to the essence of the original Britain Radio/Radio 355.

Reading another (GS) board they are introducing some ORIGINAL adverts to enhance the feel of the station.

How very appropriate!

A good all round listen for those of a certain age.
  • Options
    ozbritozbrit Posts: 224
    Forum Member

A good all round listen for those of a certain age.

Haha yeah I just turned 60 years of age and professional as it is most of the music's too old for me ;-)