Missing Out On Facebook ?

2»

Comments

• David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a heavy FaceBoook user - I don't post on there what I am eating for my breakfast (though some I know do!).

In a very basic manner, I find FaceBook very good at sharing content and keeping in touch. This was where I first started out with it a few years ago, and this is how I found it -

Share pictures, with people you know (that are on Facebook).
    You don't have to "Post" everything on the main wall - you can use the FaceBook message system to send pictures direct to other people you know that use FaceBook. It also allows you to send the same thing to multiple people, at the same time. You can do this with email too, but from my experience its not as quick or easy. Furthermore, you can get more advanced a make a photo album and post this, but restrict it to only people you know (not "everyone/public" which could be quite dangerous in terms of private family pics etc). This is even better as you can add captions, titles, and arrange pictures, and pics in albums don't simply get mixed with anything else you post - quite neat.

Keep in touch with people.
    Broadband usage caps aside, you can stay on Facebook as long as you want and it wont cost anything, other than a bit of mains/battery power. You can send people messages as above, but you can also have live chat with them too. So you type and they get the message right away, and can simply type directly back. Theres like a bubble pop up window for doing this. It also allows you to see who else you know on Facebook is actually on there using it as well (green dot indication).

Likes.
    You can manually set up your profile and include stuff you like, eg music, films, etc etc. Other people you know that are on Facebook can see this too, so if you wonder how your relation who lives 300 miles away and has little contact knew to buy a certain film for you, that how. More recently, other web content inc entire sites as well have a FaceBook Like button. If you click one of these it does the same thing as entering the data manually into your Facebook profile. Clever stuff.

Share.
    Some content on the web also have a Facebook share button. You can click this and it gets posted on your Facebook wall. Handy if you see something that you think might be interesting to someone else you know on Facebook. You can do this the old way of selecting the web address, copy + paste into an email, but this is rather long winded.
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot understand why people get so het up about Facebook. .

People get het up about the fact that it's considered somehow weird or wrong to not have a Facebook account, rather than the mere existence of Facebook itself. I think that's the main reason there is a bit of a backlash against it from some, and threads like the Worst Facebook Status Updates one on here moaning. You are treated as a social anomaly and maybe even someone to be suspicious of if you don't have or want a Facebook account.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your workmate sounds like a closed-minded idiot if he can't grasp that not everyone is going to like a site like Facebook.

I hate people like this.

The reverse is also valid. The OP hasn't used facebook so doesn't even know what they are not using.

You dont have to share anything if you dont want to. What you might not like though is that even though you dont have a FB profile i bet there are actually photos of you on FB but you cant remove them unless you sign up!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't like it and I don't have an account. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. It's vastly overrated and I hate the way a lot of websites are integrated with it. The "Facebook phones" would be a complete nightmare for me.
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reverse is also valid. The OP hasn't used facebook so doesn't even know what they are not using.

You dont have to share anything if you dont want to. What you might not like though is that even though you dont have a FB profile i bet there are actually photos of you on FB but you cant remove them unless you sign up!

The reverse isn't valid really as it's trying to make someone feel like they should try Facebook when they don't want to. Why is it wrong to not want anything to do with Facebook? It might be a useful tool for a lot of people, but some just aren't fans of the whole social networking culture and have no desire to be involved in any way. That's okay, isn't it?
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Surprised you had a "heated" debate about it though. Surely it's for each individual to decide for themselves.
    You would think so, but I have had 1 or 2 people take it very personally when I have told them I am not interested in signing up for Facebook.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Mr&MrsRR wrote: »
    I had a heated debate at work yesterday with a younger workmate he was very surprised I was not on Facebook ,I told him I was not interested in sharing my every movements with everyone, I also said I did not want people from the past getting in touch with me ( some people I never want to meet again) what I hear is Facebook has caused a lot of relationship break-ups( by the way I am very happily married).

My work mate said that I am missing out on not being on Facebook !

Whats your opinions of Facebook?

A pointless pile of crap in my view. You're not missing out.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reverse isn't valid really as it's trying to make someone feel like they should try Facebook when they don't want to. Why is it wrong to not want anything to do with Facebook? It might be a useful tool for a lot of people, but some just aren't fans of the whole social networking culture and have no desire to be involved in any way. That's okay, isn't it?

I'm not saying its wrong to not want anything to do with facebook, but its just as closed minded to not see what facebook has to offer.
  • BeachcomberBeachcomber Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is Facebook? :D
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    What is Facebook? :D

Its something that I had no interest in at all until my daughter moved abroad, it and Skype are great to keep in touch.
    The only thing I find annoying and a bit strange is friends of friends wanting to be my friend, people I've never met. It has only happened a couple of times so no big problem and I just ignore them.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Its something that I had no interest in at all until my daughter moved abroad, it and Skype are great to keep in touch.
    The only thing I find annoying and a bit strange is friends of friends wanting to be my friend, people I've never met. It has only happened a couple of times so no big problem and I just ignore them.

Same as /\
    Only use it to keep in touch with some people abroad. Dont have to wait to see pictures.

And its only very close friends that are on it, friends of friends of friends are not.
    Even un friended? some people :eek: Was told thats supose to be a massive no no on Facebook :p to that :D

Why do people have hundreds? :yawn::sleep::D
  • GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Facebook account simply to keep in touch with a family member who has been back-packing for over a year.

My account is not in my real name, certainly does NOT have my real date of birth or where I really live. I refuse to give that information to Zuckerberg for him to sell. It also constantly shifts the privacy goal-posts while trying to get us to share everything publicly :mad:. To people who don't want to know :rolleyes: .

I dislike intensely the fact that many sites, including this one :eek: , now want us to sign in with our FaceCrook accounts. Fat chance!
    And finally, for a more interesting and secure interaction with friends and family I use Google+ :cool:
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    GamerGirl wrote: »
    I dislike intensely the fact that many sites, including this one :eek: , now want us to sign in with our FaceCrook accounts. Fat chance!
    And finally, for a more interesting and secure interaction with friends and family I use Google+ :cool:

You don't think Google are as bad with wanting your data? They need it to sell their advertising.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GamerGirl wrote: »
    I have a Facebook account simply to keep in touch with a family member who has been back-packing for over a year.

My account is not in my real name, certainly does NOT have my real date of birth or where I really live. I refuse to give that information to Zuckerberg for him to sell. It also constantly shifts the privacy goal-posts while trying to get us to share everything publicly :mad:. To people who don't want to know :rolleyes: .

DS still gives you a choice,of signing in with facebook and at least they make it clear.

You download spotify and want a spotify acocunt, it looks like that you can't without a facebook account, but you can, it is just in smaller text.

so you are the few that uses Google+ :)

TBH, I would like to get rid of Facebook now, but so many people I know is on it and some will wonder where I have gone. The only reason I got a facebook account is to make it easier to keep in contact with some people in different countries. thinking of hiding my account now so only friends will see it.

If everyone I know went over to Google+, at least that would give me a excuse to close my facebook account, but that is not going to happen
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I signed up under a different name just for competitions etc.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Nailz wrote: »
    I signed up under a different name just for competitions etc.

Was that so your friends don't know what you are trying to win? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have My Space.