Options

The Aiden Grimshaw Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    spiralstaticspiralstatic Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aha, reading those spoilers it's so bizarre that it's hard to imagine it being the truth! If it is true, [DON'T CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE SUPPOSED SONG!] this version makes it rather imaginable I reckon :). If they are going to have everyone doing properly "guilty pleasure" songs, I actually think Aiden got something that has the potential to be fabulous... :D:D:D

I must say that if this is the show, it's going to be some night tonight!! :D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

PS That Topshop video thing is utterly crazy :eek:. Poor Aiden? :( Although, I know that's part of it - but, madness!!! I dunno - it looks scary there to me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the rumoured song choice... I can see him singing it well!

I hope it's the Arctic Monkeys version he'd sing.:)

Fingers crossed he nails it!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice quotes from him here:

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpoolnews/Aiden-is-singing-for-brilliant.6595148.jp

Says Simon had a chat with him and said it wasn't as bad as he thought, that this week is something he'd never have chosen but he's aiming to smash it (doesn't say he thinks it won't work or anything like that).
  • Options
    LittleNothingLittleNothing Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to miss tonights show cause I'll be oot and aboot.

But have the V+ set to record everything. If the song choice is accurate then if he holds his nerves together he could potentially steal the show. But if he mess it up then it will be harder to get away with than on Jelous Guy. So I have everything crossed for him.

Gaun yir sel Aiden :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dean Piper from the Sunday Mirror (at his twitter, here) says:
    Just watched Aiden's dress rehearsal - bloody amazing. Menacing this week singing Diamonds Are Forever. Strong performance!

:):):)

I am very excited to hear it tonight now :)!!

:D:D:D

I always think the biggest impact can come when you do a song that is usually heard in a very different manner to your interpretation.... here's hoping for a wonderful evening for Aiden :):):)!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay! Ahhh that's put me at ease :) Can't wait for the show tonight!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's promising. I'm hoping that he really blows everyone away this week. Hopefully the nerves won't get the better of him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Aiden was great tonight - compelling
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love love love Aiden. No matter what happens in The X Factor I hope I get to go and see him do a full concert. And I don't mean the X Factor tour. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think compelling sums it up perfectly. He was back on form not just in terms of vocals but his whole performance and style as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too. Quite a few people out there thinking it was horrible but I really liked it.

As cliché as it is, he's back in the game (though he was never out of it IMO ;)).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't sure about it but the judges liked it :) I'm usually overly critical on the first watch though, will rewatch to get a proper opinion!
  • Options
    lewisHlewisH Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Love love love Aiden. No matter what happens in The X Factor I hope I get to go and see him do a full concert. And I don't mean the X Factor tour. :)

I agree.Loved his performance tonight. I would pay top price to see him in concert. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dannii just said Aiden plays the piano on the Xtra Factor! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    Not my fav of his but that was more down to me not being a big fan of the song, still the best tonight.

I really hope he makes the final he deserves to
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roamed wrote: »
    Dannii just said Aiden plays the piano on the Xtra Factor! :)

I read somewhere that he plays guitar as well, so it would be nice to see him playing sometime soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rewatched it and loved it! Only thought were that some bits were maybe a bit too low for him but he should be safe for next week, especially as it's a single elimination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey hey guys. I loved Aiden's performance tonight. Yay that it went so well. I actually found the start of it kind of sensual in a way? I don't know how to describe it :confused:! :o Atmospheric and as has been said, compelling.

I thought it was lovely to see him so positive anyway (and he seemed happier and at times more confident tonight to me?) and I hope he'll get to perhaps do a more stripped back song he can really put a lot of emotion into in a different way soon (assuming he's still there! Better had be!!) I did begin to worry a little about how far he'll go in the competition. I find it hard to gague how much support he has, and Cheryl's words about people not *getting* him made me wonder whether people do. But if not it is their loss. It doesn't bother me about him making it to the end, but I hope he'll make it far enough to forge a career. And it makes me sad when I feel like the X Factor tries to mould him into something other than what he already is (either by trying to make him conform to their ideals, or by trying to label what he is [i.e. this whole dark, intense, vampiric-esque connection, which may be one aspect of Aiden, but is certainly not all of him!!]) Aiden's intentsity for example is part of what makes him what he is as a performer, and makes him compelling. I can't understand how anyone would find it negative, though I can appreciate it may not be to everyone's taste. But also, it doesn't mean his music has to always be dark. He can be intense in soulful music, fun music or in love songs that we've seen. The biggest thing for me anyway is the tone his voice has and how he conveys how he feels (or the feeling in) the music he sings, so I feel that with something stripped back that could really be showcased, and he would also have I feel more opportunity to properly show his uniqueness with such a track if that makes sense?

I'd certainly love to see Aiden live, and I must confess that is the first time I have ever felt that about anyone on the X Factor (or similar that I've seen) :). I'd buy his album too, and again, even for those I have liked more than others in the past, I've never felt that I'd do that. I do feel that as long as he could get his foot in the door, which I guess he already has, if people became fans, of everyone in the show he could have a career that could last as it wouldn't be dependent on what is merely current now. Of course it'd depend on what material he sang also... And whether there is enough of a music industry at all anymore perhaps were I to be cynical about it all.......:rolleyes:

Also, has Louis been reading our Rufus love in in here?! ;):D For he mentioned him in relation to Aiden!! Perhaps there is the chance of a Rufus song for Aiden in the future afterall?! *hopeful* (although not really in the land of reality I suppose, sigh.) And Aiden plays piano? Would be lovely were he to play that one week (or guitar, since I presume he plays that too?) although it's more pressure to play and sing together possibly, depending on how comfortable he'd be with that.

Aaanyway :)

I may be a bit tipsy so I am not entirely sure if I am making sense, oops!!! ;):D:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    He definitely seemed more confident, or at least did a good job of coming over as such tonight.

I'm now at the stage where I'm torn between wanting to be able to watch him perform every weekend and on the other hand having him voted out ASAP so he can escape the evil clutches of Danni Minogue and Simon Cowell.

I think Aiden is like marmite right now, but those who aren't "getting" it at the moment are going to look a little foolish in a few years time. I'm absolutely convinced that this boy is a star- not perhaps in the Cowell-tastic popstar mould but in a more alternative way, something that will take a few years for him to mature and develop. He is only 18. As a performer in the more adult pop/alternative genre that fits his voice and his apparent musical interests, he is practically a toddler.

I really enjoyed his performance tonight. It had something about it- I liked the slightly menacing vibe, but it also felt quite sensual. Way more interesting to watch than anything else I saw (except for Rebecca, who I thought was excellent, and like Aiden, too good for the show). I also like how his accent tinges his singing at times. As he gains in maturity and experience, the aspects of his voice/performances that make him intriguing and enjoyable to watch are only going to improve. He is a one-off, an original with a unique voice and who actually looks like he has something to say despite his youth. I get the feeling that a love of competency over artistry/originality colours much of the dislike of Aiden. The same people criticising tics in his performances are probably the same people who will claim to love Michael Stipe and Ian Curtis. He probably doesn't have what they are looking for in an X Factor winner, but generally I think that's a good thing.

I'm genuinely excited to see what he does in the future and can't wait to see him perform live. The only other X Factor/Pop Idol contestants I've ever felt anything vaguely similarly to this about were Will Young and Diana Vickers, so here's hoping he can have the chances that they did (eventually).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a tad nervous when I heard the song choice tbh - but I LOVED IT. He was amazing, and back to good old aiden we know and love. He was clearly much happier this week. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    Well Louis comparing him to Rufas, most of Rufas's original songs are not well known enough to be on xfactor but how about Aiden doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrnT2VEsuHc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Aiden needs to sing something along the lines of Rufus Wainwright or John Meyer soon. I'm not so sure Dannii would give him something like that to sing though, that said I loved how he handled DAF.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2010/10/24/x-factor-s-aiden-grimshaw-jokes-he-wants-to-marry-matt-cardle-115875-22654853/

:p

"Matt and me are really good mates, he's a great bloke. We've got a really great bromance going on. I love his manly beard and I kind of want to marry him. Sometimes we talk about our performances but if one of us is missing home we have a deeper chat."

Loving the bromance! It's great that he's got a really good friend in the house.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roamed wrote: »
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2010/10/24/x-factor-s-aiden-grimshaw-jokes-he-wants-to-marry-matt-cardle-115875-22654853/

:p

"Matt and me are really good mates, he's a great bloke. We've got a really great bromance going on. I love his manly beard and I kind of want to marry him. Sometimes we talk about our performances but if one of us is missing home we have a deeper chat."

Loving the bromance! It's great that he's got a really good friend in the house.

LOL very funny. love a good bromance. these two are my faves so it's great they get on so well
  • Options
    LittleNothingLittleNothing Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Afternoon :)

Finally watched the show LOVED Aidens performance.

It was such a hard song to give him and he pulled it off and then some.

One of the things I love about Aiden is that I always feel like he thinks about the lyrics to every song he is given understands them and how to put that into his performance.
    The lyrics he has been given thus far have been pretty complex and he has done a better job at interpreting them than many of the other contestants who have been given fairly standard Boy loves girl/Boy loves girl but cant have girl type lyrics.

DAF is a pretty hard song to nail. I heard that Dame Shirley was told to imagine she was singing about a mans member :eek: in order to achieve her legendery performance.

As for Cheryl's comments im sorry but what a load of BS:mad:
    Its fair enough to say you thought he may be too intense if he was singing The freaking Birdy Song. But DAF needed that intensity, especially as a male singing it. It 100% was right for that song song anything less he would have been doing a half arsed job.
    So her comment was totally irrelevant to what she had just seen.
    I just think that whatever she claims about liking it (her slow hand clapping at the end of his performance told a different story) she just dosent get him or what he is about. "If you had dropped in some Kanye it would have made it more edgy" :rolleyes:
    adding pointless rapping to a song isnt the only way to make something edgy ffs

sorry about that wee rant :o
This discussion has been closed.