Options

Salamander-BBC4 Pace - Belgium Crime thriller

Comments

• Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Paul's boss said the invitation to the club was in the name of "Vande Velde", and that Paul is also using that name at the hotel, but he told Patricia his name was Paul, so is his false identity "Paul Vande Velde"? Wouldn't it have been a good idea to use a different first name too? I don't think it's going to take Patricia's father very long to figure out who Paul, just lost his wife, has a teenage daughter, could be.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched it all of it.... and I have to say that it is rather good. There is plot holes all the way through it and as some has said that the father is remember what he saw and did from the first World War. The last episode explains everything...... I won't put any spoilers up.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    ... I don't think it's going to take Patricia's father very long to figure out who Paul, just lost his wife, has a teenage daughter, could be.
    But why would he make the link? AFAICR, it's only the "Salamander" group who know who Paul Girardi is, not Patricia's father or "Joachim"?

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is plot holes all the way through it and as some has said that the father is remember what he saw and did from the first World War.
    Second World War!
    KennyT wrote: »
    But why would he make the link? AFAICR, it's only the "Salamander" group who know who Paul Girardi is, not Patricia's father or "Joachim"?

They should know! Didn't Joachim try to run him over in the car park? I would have thought they would be taking an interest in who was investigating the bank robbery, and the death of the wife was reported in the news although it was said to be an accident. I presume the news report said her husband was Paul Girardi, a policeman, and that they had a daughter. Also, surely at the beginning when Joachim and his gang were getting rid of "loose ends", one of the loose ends, and then his wife, were talking to Girardi - did Joachim really not find out about any of that? Well, whatever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    They should know! Didn't Joachim try to run him over in the car park?
    I wondered about that... If Joachim had really meant to run Paul over, why did he switch his headlights on first?
    ...Also, surely at the beginning when Joachim and his gang were getting rid of "loose ends", one of the loose ends, and then his wife, were talking to Girardi - did Joachim really not find out about any of that? Well, whatever.
    You might be right about that. I'd forgotten the link (garrotte wire) between the two murders.

I guess we'll find out next week when Patricia bring her new friend home for dinner and, presumably, Paul sees the photograph...

K
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any child that was around in even the later war years would be in their 70s now, so I'm suggesting that it's the son or even grandson of the child.

I think he's definitely the son of the guy who disappeared in the war or else why would he be able to have flashbacks to what happened??
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    So, was Salamander originally create by Jonkhere Snr or did Junior create it?
    It seems like Salamander was originally the name of an operation to entrap resistance fighters during the war and became something more pervasive after the war. So not only are the members fundamentally corrupt they are also the descendants of Nazi sympathizers or, indeed, even traitors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overnights:

e7: 852k (4.02%)
    e8: 797k (4.11%)

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked how (in the flashbacks) all the children at the school, plus the teacher, apparently knew the details of the resistance operation and who was involved!
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the story so far, it's been a bit too pedestrian and apart from the car explosion, have found it hard to maintain enough attention to become immersed. As many have said, having invested this much into it, I'll see it to the end as we are promised a finale with answers.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    It seems like Salamander was originally the name of an operation to entrap resistance fighters during the war and became something more pervasive after the war. So not only are the members fundamentally corrupt they are also the descendants of Nazi sympathizers or, indeed, even traitors.

Jonkhere Snr will probably turn out to have been a member of the Flemish National Union

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish_National_Union
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    There's only one Belgium. Did you mean Belgians? ;)

Yes, thank you, :)
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given what the flashbacks are setting up it will probably turn out that the bad guys (the people behind the blackmail) are the good guys, well the less bad guys and everyone in Salamander had it coming!

Based on what we have seen of the blackmail material so far it still seems implausible that people would be driven to suicide by the exposure of such material. Belgium is hardly Doris Day country :D

I guess the tipping point in terms of delineating the bad from the less bad will be revealed when Patricia unwittingly (you can see it coming a mile off) reveals the location of Gerardi's daughter who seems remarkably unaffected by her mother's demise. Maybe she's still in shock.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Officials:

e5 SALAMANDER (SAT 2103) 1,106
    e6 SALAMANDER (SAT 2151) 1,104

looks as though it's going to stay above 1m :)

K
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks God he`s out of that bloody cardy!
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    I was also glad to see the back of the annoying wife.
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    I was also glad to see the back of the annoying wife.

Sadly the daughter in still around to hold up the main plot. developing for while longer, if anyone can remember what the plot was.
    It began with a bank robbery and as they did not know who was behind it they went after the detective, all these episodes later they still don't know who is behind it , so let's go after the detective again.:)
  • Options
    Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... and as for Gerardi's wife...dear lord, she's one of the most irritating/cliched characters I've seen in quite a while. Why do male detectives' wives/partners always have to be such nagging, hysterical neurotics? This has been done to death in so many other cop dramas..
    Ha. I bet you'd feel so ashamed if something truly bad happened to her ... like getting blown up!
    That'd make you take it all back, right? >:(
    ;-)
    She had to go to make way for a succession of chunky blondes ...I feel sorry for the girly-running Dr.Who bloke.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying this for what it is but it's not really The Bridge is it, lol.

It's a bit hokey, lol. Some of the developments have made me roll my eyes to the heavens.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Oh god, if I hear one more comparison to The Bridge, I will explode, I think.

It's not The Bridge, The Bridge is The Bridge.

It's SALAMANDER.

A series to be judged on its own merit.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Oh god, if I hear one more comparison to The Bridge, I will explode, I think.

It's not The Bridge, The Bridge is The Bridge.

It's SALAMANDER.

It's hokum as well, lol.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    It's hokum as well, lol.
    That's why I like it!

I used to watch the extremely well made and serious Morse, but these days I prefer Midsomer - like Salamander, absolute nonsense, but enjoyably so.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Inspector de Luca' will take on the baton from Salamander as the next European show on BBC Four, with it starting from the 22nd.
  • Options
    FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are tonight's double episodes the last of the series or have we got one more week still to go?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid you have to endure another week after this one.
    Philip Pullman: "The Bridge had a richness of characterisation that kept it continually surprising, whereas Salamander was a boxful of cliches".