Official Snooker Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest, did anyone else have a personal favourite from the shots of the championship?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/27287114

Selby's red into the middle pocket off another red was mine. Not as spectacular as one or two of the others, but such a canny shot, and one you don't see played very often.

that Judd Trump shot was a fluke :confused:

yeah the Selby one up there, the Robbo off the cushion plant was pretty good and the shot they showed straight after, the cannon to the reds and finish perfect on the black.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    clarky323 wrote: »
    that Judd Trump shot was a fluke :confused:
    Heh yeah, suppose at least the Beeb did acknowledge as much in the blurb accompanying the video :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think any from Selby's clearance last night because of the pressure he was under.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One that was missing, was it Ronnie against Hull, the pink he took to get on the black in the last frame. The screwback with all that cue power.
  • zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of my own memories of this year's tournament:

The emergence of the first timers' qualifying talent
    The likes of Kyren Wilson and Michael Wasley, having to come through several qualifying rounds just to make it to the Crucible and compete. Michael Wasley's epic match against Ding Junhui will go down as a shock and a classic at the same time, with the final frame in particular being full of tension. Although Michael was hammered by Dominic Dale in the next round, to get the first win at the Crucible must have been special - Kyren took Ricky Walden close in a 7-10 defeat and hopefully the taste for him of playing there will leave him wanting more. Xiao Goudong also deserves a mention for running Ali Carter close as well.

The ton of tons
    Seeing Neil Robertson in the first round first session get two tons, and maybe he could have had more, showed he was in the mood to get the job done. And when it came against Judd Trump it was also at a crucial stage of the match, on his way to a comeback from 11-8 down to win 13-11. Granted, it might not have been enough to win the tournament, but to get 100 centuries in one season and end up with 103 is a record that he can always be proud of achieving first, and we might not see it for a good few years yet.

The final frame finishes
    We were spoilt for choice this year, with many of them happening so close together. Mark Selby getting over the line against Michael White, Shaun Murphy doing the same despite a valiant effort from Jamie Cope, Ryan Day dumping out Stephen Maguire and Wasley vs Ding as mentioned earlier. No one expected Barry Hawkins to have to win a final frame decider against Dominic Dale but it turned out to be a Crucible classic.

The unique Crucible atmosphere
    Being there is always special. Being there on the first morning even more so. The anticpation, the buzz, it's something else. In fact you could tell when the players came out on that first morning and Ken Doherty kissed the Crucible carpet that it's still the home of the snooker, and rightfully so. Seeing some of the other first round games and the tension of them including a respotted black in the Dominic Dale v Mark Davis match really makes it feel more alive (and no ear piece needed for me, I never use one ever) and I can't over-emphasise enough how special it feels to be there. I thoroughly enjoyed all of my visits this year.

The battle of the footwear
    A more fun element maybe, but Judd Trump had the spiked hedgehogs out again for some of his matches, Xiao Goudong's sparkly silver numbers had people noticing his efforts, and of course those striped ones from Dominic Dale, which he christened his lucky shoes. Didn't do him too much harm in his run to an epic quarter final.
  • ontheradioontheradio Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    They did it on Saturday apparently, before the evening session.

No, it was filmed before the final session - I was there ;)
  • TungstenTungsten Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Hallett is one of the entrants in Q School.
  • chrisdebagchrisdebag Posts: 102,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is always wise not to feed trolls

You only had to look at twitter and the amount of snooker players all rooting for Selby to win

he is a well liked professional on the circuit and showed great mettle in the final

Best World final for years and so good to see Ronnie in such a good place these days

cant wait until the season starts again
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    RE Ronnie car crash

Why did he have to leave Sheffield straight after the match? I have also head some players do this too. Could he have not left the next morning?
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Read in paper today that barry says the championship could be move to china. He says there is serious money to be made. I really hope this doesn't happen. For me the crucible is where it should stay.

Just more cack from the guy
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, apparently O'Sullivan was consistent throughout the match and after day 1 all the smart money went on Selby to win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good little piece on Selby in Inside Snooker, worth a quick read:

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2014/5/7/i-want-to-find-another-leicester-jester
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good little piece on Selby in Inside Snooker, worth a quick read:

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2014/5/7/i-want-to-find-another-leicester-jester

Thanks for that. :)

I found this on youtube earlier, some people appear to be hurting and a little bitter. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRwfW_3dHZc
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I see, no I'm afraid not, this is how it will work (found Bazza's press conference transcript, answers my own question too!)

"All previous world champions will be invited to play in round one, which will have the top 64 seeded and a random draw for the remaining 64 players. Remaining spaces making up the field of 144 players will be used by the WPBSA to encourage further global participation".

So round one of the World Championship will be seeds 17-144 playing a flat-draw of 128 players".

Best of 19, best of 25 (x 2), best of 33 and best of 35 rounds in the world professional snooker championships must remain.

To cut it down to the 9 ball pool world championship match lengths just to accommodate a bigger field would be ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tungsten wrote: »
    Mike Hallett is one of the entrants in Q School.

The golden oldies in their 50's and 60's would be completely humiliated the vast majority of the time in today's era.

Hallett or Thorne would be doing remarkably well to win more than 1 frame in a full 8 or 9 frames session in round 1 of a flat 128 draw.
  • james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read in paper today that barry says the championship could be move to china. He says there is serious money to be made. I really hope this doesn't happen. For me the crucible is where it should stay.

Why? The sport does not belong to the UK
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james2018 wrote: »
    Why? The sport does not belong to the UK

Would you like to see the World Championship with just a handful of spectators in attendance?

The last match I watched from China had 5 or 6 spectators. I don't want to see it going to Asia and being held in soulless arena's just because there is a fortune to be made commercially.

I would be all for it being moved around if it was Germany etc where it is usually packed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you like to see the World Championship with just a handful of spectators in attendance?

The last match I watched from China had 5 or 6 spectators. I don't want to see it going to Asia and being held in soulless arena's just because there is a fortune to be made commercially.

I would be all for it being moved around if it was Germany etc where it is usually packed.

Plus of course, the time difference would mean a European audience would get it in the middle of the night or early morning. TV companies won't be keen
  • NWScotsNWScots Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it safe to come back in here now?! Man alive, it all got a bit heated for a while there.

As a long standing Ronnie fan, I was disappointed with the result but congratulations to Mark. I really wanted Ronnie to win to get the hat trick and also because I now fear he won't have the chance to overtake Hendry and claim eight titles in total. Could see him winning another two but three might be pushing it. However, as someone said a few pages back, the sixth will mean more if he has to work harder for it. Anyway, we are where we are and there's no changing it now.

I've not been a huge fan of Selby. I tried to give a possible explanation of why he attracts some negative views a few weeks ago after Darren (at least I think it was him - apologies if not) asked what it is about him that people can't seem to take to. However, its been interesting learning more about him and his background over the last couple of days. As I'm not a fan, I'd never taken the time to find out a lot about him before. I certainly don't grudge anyone living out their childhood dream so well done to him. I just wish it hadn't been at Ronnie's expense :p He certainly seems to be popular with the other players judging by the response to his win on Twitter so I can only assume that tells its own story.

This again?! Totally contradicts his spiel from two weeks ago when he said he had no intention of moving while he had the support from the local Council and the BBC. Could it have been a rehashed article from ages ago do you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's have some good news: :)

"@Eurosport: Selby’s thrilling victory over O’Sullivan attracted 16M European viewers. A 50% rise (audience reach) compared to the 2013 final!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is good news. When I saw one of the 1D guys there at the start of the tournament I had this image of teenage girls up and down the country being glued to the snooker hoping he would be there again!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NWScots wrote: »
    Is it safe to come back in here now?! Man alive, it all got a bit heated for a while there.

As a long standing Ronnie fan, I was disappointed with the result but congratulations to Mark. I really wanted Ronnie to win to get the hat trick and also because I now fear he won't have the chance to overtake Hendry and claim eight titles in total. Could see him winning another two but three might be pushing it. However, as someone said a few pages back, the sixth will mean more if he has to work harder for it. Anyway, we are where we are and there's no changing it now.

I've not been a huge fan of Selby. I tried to give a possible explanation of why he attracts some negative views a few weeks ago after Darren (at least I think it was him - apologies if not) asked what it is about him that people can't seem to take to. However, its been interesting learning more about him and his background over the last couple of days. As I'm not a fan, I'd never taken the time to find out a lot about him before. I certainly don't grudge anyone living out their childhood dream so well done to him. I just wish it hadn't been at Ronnie's expense :p He certainly seems to be popular with the other players judging by the response to his win on Twitter so I can only assume that tells its own story.

This again?! Totally contradicts his spiel from two weeks ago when he said he had no intention of moving while he had the support from the local Council and the BBC. Could it have been a rehashed article from ages ago do you think?

It was me mate yes. And yours is a good post, sadly not all Ronnie fans have the honour and grace that you have shown. Also the lies they have spread about how other players detest Selby is beyond childish.

I think there is only one player I don't like and that is Judd Trump. It is nothing to do with his style of play at all ( although he does play one shot too many ) it is more to do with his attitude and general manner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was me mate yes. And yours is a good post, sadly not all Ronnie fans have the honour and grace that you have shown. Also the lies they have spread about how other players detest Selby is beyond childish.

I think there is only one player I don't like and that is Judd Trump. It is nothing to do with his style of play at all ( although he does play one shot too many ) it is more to do with his attitude and general manner.

That's us women for you Darren - bringing reason to a place of madness! :D

Agree very much about Judd. He could maybe get away with that mouth of his (and his Twitter account) if he had the game to back it up. However, that is sadly lacking a lot of the time. In my opinion, he should get his head down and develop what is clearly a talent for the sport. However, he'll go his own way - which may ultimately lead to him being a big underachiever if he doesn't put the hours in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's because Hearn has booked arenas that attracts low audience numbers.

Nothing to do with popularity in China.

Snooker Is far more popular in China than the handful of people who attend in a village hall of a tiny village the middle of nowhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NWScots wrote: »

It must be an old article. And I would not imagine Hearn will shortening the match lengths of the world championships. He won't.
This discussion has been closed.