English rugby commentators

BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
Forum Member
✭✭
edited 26/02/23 - 00:58 in Broadcasting #1
I've noticed the lack of English rugby commentors watching the six nations. Scotland matches get a Scottish commentator, Wales always get two Welsh commentators, but all other matches including England's get a Welsh commentator and usually a Scottish one. Seems a bit unfair.

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    TBH it must be as much torture for a Scottish commentator to comment on a Scotland game as it is currently for an English commentator to comment on an England cricket match.
    Forum Member
    Is Brian Moore not English then?
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've dipped in and out of rugby over the years predominantly on the BBC and it does always seem to have been a Scottish voice

For years it was Bill McLaren........now its Ian Robertson (on the radio)

I think 'Robbo' is losing it a bit now though as his commentaries are full of pauses whilst he tries to remember player's names.......

Where he's still pretty sharp though is when he gives his pre-match predictions on radio 5........he'll often say something like 'Bath should win by 20 points' and sure enough they do !........I reckon he bets on the games......:D
  • BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Is Brian Moore not English then?

He seems to always be secondary to the Welsh one though.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bahtat wrote: »
    He seems to always be secondary to the Welsh one though.

That would be Eddie Butler, then?

Didn't like Brian Moore years ago. Well, as a player, basically! Really do now. Good double-act.

Furious that the biased BBC still have the English twit Inverdale as the main presenter, though. >:(

(Nah, obviously. But do think he's a twit. ;-) )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would be Eddie Butler, then?

Didn't like Brian Moore years ago. Well, as a player, basically! Really do now. Good double-act.

Furious that the biased BBC still have the English twit Inverdale as the main presenter, though. >:(

(Nah, obviously. But do think he's a twit. ;-) )
    I've never understood why people think Inverdale comes across as English bias. He seems ok to me.
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That horrible scumbag Inverdale is your quota. What a tosser.

I like Brian Moore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    That horrible scumbag Inverdale is your quota. What a tosser.

I like Brian Moore.

I saw Inverdale in Pumpkin coffee shop on platform 2 at Sheffield station. I don't think the girl serving him recognised him, daft cow.
  • steviemsteviem Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should she??? :confused:
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She did, but was completely indifferent, is my guess.

Sensible woman.
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,257
    Forum Member
    Bahtat wrote: »
    I saw Inverdale in Pumpkin coffee shop on platform 2 at Sheffield station. I don't think the girl serving him recognised him, daft cow.
    Maybe she was looking through rose coloured specs at him
    ..or is that rose tinted... :)
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Applying the OP's logic, the best Rugby commentator of all time, the late great Bill McLaren, should have been restricted to only Scotland games...
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Eddie and Stevo, I have grown up listening to them.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oooohhh not now. Stevo has really started to spout more rubbish each week. Give me Brian Carney anyday ( mind you he isn't English so you can't )
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    I find Butler irritating but Moore is a great summariser. The best commentator is Robertson on 5live.

Have ITV announced who they are using for the World Cup yet?
  • the-masterthe-master Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the main commentator for yesterday's Wales match was Welsh? They didn't even have Jiffy on that one.
    Speaking as a Welshman, I do find most of the Welsh commentators highly annoying and irritating. The worst HAS to be Gareth Charles by a country mile. Luckily for the majority of the UK, he is largely confined to BBC Wales TV & radio. He is closely followed by Eddie Butler who, mostly, seems to do little more than say players names as they pass the ball from one to another. He was famously sacked as the main presenter on BBC Wales' Scrum V TV magasine programme after a massive on-air bust up with Gareth Thomas. Seems he then went from that to on-air commentary, heaven knows why.
    Best Welsh commentator was Huw Llewellyn-Davies who spent the majority of his latter years commentating on S4C and has sadly now retired.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I though the commentator for the Wales game yesterday was terrible.

As for the coverage, Inverdale used to be very biased, but is better now, Eddie Butler has become very anglocised over the years .

While I find Jeremy Guscott the most annoying and biased.

Andrew Cotter and Philip Matthews are OK, while I also like Brain Moore.

Overall the BBC coverage is till light years ahead of the ITV World Cup Coverage.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the-master wrote: »
    I don't think the main commentator for yesterday's Wales match was Welsh? They didn't even have Jiffy on that one.
    Speaking as a Welshman, I do find most of the Welsh commentators highly annoying and irritating. The worst HAS to be Gareth Charles by a country mile. Luckily for the majority of the UK, he is largely confined to BBC Wales TV & radio. He is closely followed by Eddie Butler who, mostly, seems to do little more than say players names as they pass the ball from one to another. He was famously sacked as the main presenter on BBC Wales' Scrum V TV magasine programme after a massive on-air bust up with Gareth Thomas. Seems he then went from that to on-air commentary, heaven knows why.
    Best Welsh commentator was Huw Llewellyn-Davies who spent the majority of his latter years commentating on S4C and has sadly now retired.

Eddie Butler was commentator for many year before that, in that infamous interview with Gareth Thomas, he completely destroyed him, so much so that Gareth was taken very ill after that interview.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For my money Eddie Butler is an absolutely superb commentator with an amazing voice. Easy to see why the BBC rate him so highly. I think he is excellent and he works very well with Brian Moore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Wrong code! They're talking egg-chasing here, not proper Rugby League.

Saying that, the sooner Sky get rid of Stevo the better - he's always been poor, but he's a total embarrassment now.
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the-master wrote: »
    He is closely followed by Eddie Butler who, mostly, seems to do little more than say players names as they pass the ball from one to another.

Which is the main job of the play-by-play commentator :confused:
    Forum Member
    And yet he is always one player behind.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Brian Moore is fantastic. Far better than Jonathon Edwards.

I have no problem with any of the others, including Inverdale.
  • mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,073
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Have ITV announced who they are using for the World Cup yet?

There's an announcement scheduled for tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    As a partially-sighted rugby fan Eddie Butler is the best commentator precisely because he DOES name each player as the ball is passed!

You can't imagine how frustrating it is to try to keep up with what's happening on the pitch with comments like "Well, he shouldn't have done that. He should have done ..." which typically comes from Jonathan Davies (brilliant player though he was) and last week's 5 Live's contribution from Matt Dawson "Just look at the Fiji players! Look at them - just look at them!"

All very well when you have good eyesight, but enough to make me weep!
This discussion has been closed.