Cyclists - why do they annoy you?

Comments

• Cme2007Cme2007 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Mallaha wrote: »
    Cycle paths are often full of broken glass and rubbish, or worse, children on those bloody scooters. They don't usually take you where you want to go and they are difficult to turn right out of.

And cyclists on cycle paths HAVE to give way to every side street, car park entrance and driveway.

If motorists had to stop at every dropped curb they'd soon give up.

easier, quicker and safer to ride on the road in most cases.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also a cyclist. What bothers me are the kids you see on bikes with no lights and people even with lights but feeble lights and wearing dark clothes...

Oh and grown men/large teenage boys riding those ridiculous clown bikes - you know the ones with no brakes and a saddle about a millimetre from the ground.
    Forum Member
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    Cyclists who piss me off.

And many of them think they own the road but pay no road tax.
    Neither do you. The link between the variously named car taxes and the road fund was abolished in1937. Cyclists dont pay vehicle excise duty nor display a VED disc.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Chandelier wrote: »
    You really dont like riding on those expensive purpose built safety cycle lanes do you. Personally I feel if there is a cycle lane available it should be illegal for a cyclist to cycle on an adjacent road.
    Errr no, for all the reasons already explained. You might personally feel that way but when the idea was floated at govt level that the Highway Code be updated with the words 'must use a cycle lane where one exists', it was quickly shot down. It is a silly idea.

And if you think that the council painting a dotted line along the road and saying "there's your cycle lane" equates to expensive purpose built safety cycle lanes, I'd suggest you spend 10 minutes looking at examples of just how bad a cycle lane can be. Google crap cycle lanes, then come back and tell me you still think it should be illegal not to use one if it exists.
    Forum Member
    gingerjack wrote: »
    going through red lights and zebra crossing, riding in two's side by side ,and in general taking no notice of the highway code ,as they seem to think they are exempt

Why?

Motorists seem to think that cyclists shouldn't ride side by side. Indeed you seem to believe that the highway code has something to say about this.

Well, indeed it does.

You should

keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
    keep both feet on the pedals
    never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
    not ride close behind another vehicle
    not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
    be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cme2007 wrote: »
    Neither do you. The link between the variously named car taxes and the road fund was abolished in1937. Cyclists dont pay vehicle excise duty nor display a VED disc.

Or are required to be registered, display a number plate, have 3rd party insurance, to take any form of competency test, to obey speed limits, to provide a specimen of breath, to stop at the scene of an accident.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Or are required to be registered, display a number plate, have 3rd party insurance, to take any form of competency test, to obey speed limits, to provide a specimen of breath, to stop at the scene of an accident.

I thought you both had to obey speed limits and could be breathalysed on a bike. Am I wrong?
    Forum Member
    One thing motorists should remember is the simple legal statement that

Pedestrians, Horse riders and cyclists use the roads as of RIGHT.

Motorists use the roads by licence. A licence that can be taken away at anytime.

All of my rants above aside I'm both a motorist and a cyclist. There are some dingbat cyclists who, frankly, are fair game in my book. Whether it is Darwin or the All Mighty, taking these muppets out of the gene pool can only be a good thing. However this applies to all walks of life.

Curb hugging just to stop cyclists getting to the front of a queue of traffic is a little petty. Whining because you have to slow down on a winding country roads - what about horses, tractors etc.

No lights after dark - fair game, pick 'em off
    Dark clothing anytime - pick 'em off

White van man that waits for the cyclists and then pulls out is not SMIDSY but attempted murder.
    Driver that overtakes and then immediately turns left, despite me being, as I put it "a fat tw*t in a flourescent yellow anorak" - attempted manslaughter

It'd only take a few instance of the above before both sides called a truce and played nicely together. :D
    Forum Member
    All of which has eliminated poor driving and deaths & injuries caused by car drivers.

Honestly, does anyone seriously imagine that creating the bureaucracy and infrastructure required to register cyclists and enforce insurance is a workable idea? Govts around the world have occasionally tried it. It's never worked.
    Forum Member

Nor are pedestrians.

I bet Usain Bolt could do more than 20 mph outside a school
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flabby_Gut wrote: »
    I am a cyclist who tries their hardest to be responsible & safe.

I don't wear high viz all the time or even a helmet but I do use decent lights - day AND night to avoid a SMIDSY -Sorry Mate I Didn't See You.

The problem is that I can't think of any group of people that are hated as much by motorists & it is completely irrational.

My pet hates are seeing anyone on a bike riding like a tit on the pavement. Jumping red lights but most importantly not being visible or having lights.

What are yours?

As a car driver, and someone who has not used a bicycle for many years, I agree with your point of view. You are a true cyclist. The people you refer to and the ones I see most of, are not in the moral or spirited sense of the word a cyclists. They are idiots who happen to be on bicycle's.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    They're usually thinner than me.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    in which case you're travelling to fast in the first place

as usual in these debates, stupid motorist blames cyclist for their own stupidity

ditto - and I also live and drive in a rural area with those bendy roads.
    But, a lot of people drive at high speed on those roads. It may not be a bicycle round the next corner but a dirty great big tractor - could you stop you car in time before hitting it? This is the question drivers must always keep in the back of their minds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nor are pedestrians.

I bet Usain Bolt could do more than 20 mph outside a school

Usain doesn't tend to run along the High Street, but uses purpose built tracks that aren't shared with motor vehicles. Also he and his fellow sprinters aren't known for being evangelists for lower speed limits that won't apply to them, unlike many cycling organisations.
    Forum Member
    Also he and his fellow sprinters aren't known for being evangelists for lower speed limits that won't apply to them, unlike many cycling organisations.
    So you imagine that there are approximately 32m drivers, and another totally separate group of maybe 5m cyclists? It's not occurred that most cyclists also drive? No?
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    i am a cyclist and i do try my very best to be as annoying as possible. it isn't difficult when you are powering past the standstill rush hour traffic that lasts all day, but just so as not to get complacent, i never wear a helmet, always go the wrong way down one way streets (even if they are not on my route) and play pedestrian skittles for my own amusement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind them in general. But round here they are constantly riding fast, on the pavement at night because they don't have lights, and they always expect you to get out of their way. What don't they understand about the term "footpath"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    I thought you both had to obey speed limits and could be breathalysed on a bike. Am I wrong?

Speed limits - no, for amongst other reasons they aren't required to have a speed measuring device on their machine. There is however an offence of Wanton and Furious Driving which could be used.

Breathalyser - no a cyclist can't be compelled to provide a breath test or take a sobriety test, accordingly there is no penalty for refusing.
  • gingerjackgingerjack Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?

Motorists seem to think that cyclists shouldn't ride side by side. Indeed you seem to believe that the highway code has something to say about this.

Well, indeed it does.

You should

keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
    keep both feet on the pedals
    never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
    not ride close behind another vehicle
    not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
    be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted.

I would think common sense would have been enough to sort wether thats a smart move or not,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    So you imagine that there are approximately 32m drivers, and another totally separate group of maybe 5m cyclists? It's not occurred that most cyclists also drive? No?

Yes, I am aware of that from all the idiotic drivers I see around, many of whom I am sure are cyclists in disguise:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gingerjack wrote: »
    I would think common sense would have been enough to sort wether thats a smart move or not,

Not just common sense but it is in the Highway Code
    Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.[/b]
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    Not just common sense but it is in the Highway Code

i don't have any mirrors on my bike. does anyone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Running red lights, scares me as a pedestrian and annoys me as a driver because I then have to overtake them AGAIN
    2. Riding on the pavement
    3. Not wearing high viz or lights so they are practically impossible to see at night
    4. Riding the wrong way up one-way streets
    5. Leaning on my car at traffic lights, on the odd occasion they do actually stop at a red light, shouldn't really annoy me but I find it very rude
    6. Riding two or three abreast so they can have a chat
    7. Refusing to move over when they are holding up a long queue of traffic
    8. They're not identifiable in any way (licence plate etc) which means they can get away with dangerous cycling
    9. Adult cyclists with babies or young children with them on the bike, completely irresponsible
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chandelier wrote: »
    When they cycle on the road inspite of the fact there is a cycle path right next to it.

We do occasionally have to pop out onto the road to avoid people who are walking on the cycle path........even when there's a pavement right next to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    i don't have any mirrors on my bike. does anyone?

Or the ability to turn your head?