Options

Talk Talk to Tiscali

chandleochandleo Posts: 614
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, was hoping somebody could help,

i'm moving house over the weekend, however in the new property the previous owners have had talk talk for both the phone line and broadband, I was originally going to keep my sky broadband but they need a bt line which would have been fine, but bt say I would have to pay £127 to have the phone line changed back to BT.

Been looking at the Tiscali packages, which look very good, called them and they said it would be fine going from talk talk to tiscali, but the lady didn't sound too sure, just said they would need a mac code (but how would I get this as I was not the talk talk account holder, and surely they would need an active bt line first!?)

Just really want to find a way to either have the tiscali or bt services without paying a rip off £127 to bt first!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Please don't even attempt this - IGNORE ANYTHING TISCALI TELL YOU. Tiscali are only able to take over a BT line. What will happen is they will say they can take it over, then on the day the engineer is due to come, nothing will happen, you will then call customer service, who will then tell you that you have to call BT and have them take your line over, wait two weeks and then reapply for Tiscali and pay the penalty to BT. This has happened once to me and too two of my friends. My advice is to leave Tiscali and use O2 who are about to launch their TV service. AVOID TISCALI AT ALL COSTS they are simply awful.
  • Options
    jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dhvd wrote: »
    Please don't even attempt this - IGNORE ANYTHING TISCALI TELL YOU. Tiscali are only able to take over a BT line. What will happen is they will say they can take it over, then on the day the engineer is due to come, nothing will happen, you will then call customer service, who will then tell you that you have to call BT and have them take your line over, wait two weeks and then reapply for Tiscali and pay the penalty to BT. This has happened once to me and too two of my friends. My advice is to leave Tiscali and use O2 who are about to launch their TV service. AVOID TISCALI AT ALL COSTS they are simply awful.

when does o2 launch there tv service
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    when does o2 launch there tv service

quarter 2
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well the line won't become free from Tiscali for a long time no matter what he does, will it? Thats the problem with this new Telephone regime, the old ISP hold onto the line for a month and you can't do anything about it. Ordering a second telephone line or getting cable is probably the quickest option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quarter 2

Vapourware.
  • Options
    ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT only charge you if the line itself has been inactive for some time. Even though the previous occupant was with Talk Talk, it's still an active BT line. In theory the previous occupants will have the line ceased when they move out, and BT will not charge you anything to have the line activated when you move in.
  • Options
    chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I spoke to BT and they said that the equipment in the exchange had been changed to make the line go through talk talk instead, so it would involve an engineer to make it back into a BT line so i'd be charged £125.

Spoke to talk talk today who said as the account was cancelled I'd need to get an active BT line first and then they could take it over (which just seems completely stupid!!!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they are going to insist on a fee, ask for a new telephone line. It absolutely none of your business what that line is, get them to install a new junction box and use a new pair of wires to the house - at least you will be sure the line will be clean.

By doing this, they will not be able to start blaming any issues with the previous provider, because there wasn't one.