Change of appearance...changing passport photo?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
Forum Member
I got my passport 3 years ago and since then my appearance has changed (no longer wear glasses/hairstyle completely different) and it really doesn't look like me at all anymore!

How do I solve this? Is there a way I can simply renew the photo? I tried looking on their website but it doesn't say.

Another thing; I got my passport just before the new "biometric" price increase was introduced...if I have to get a whole new passport would it be one of the new biometric ones or has that not been implemented yet?

I'm aware I'll probably have to pay a fee for this but I think I have no choice tbh, even I wouldn't believe the photo is me...

Comments

• LovetatsLovetats Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry - my passport photo makes me look like Eva Braun when IRL, I'm a babe LMAO!!!

Your face will still be recognisable to customs/immigration officials, even if you think you look very different.

I had an old passport with me having long, darker hair and then had it all cut short and bleached blonde. No immigration official ever questioned me about it, even in farflung places where the polis have machine guns - gulp!!

I'd save yourself the money and just get a new one when your's expires.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My passport is nearly 10 years old - I was 18 in the photo and I've changed! Alot! Never had a problem with using my passport over the years.

And I must remember to get it renewed soon ;)
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    I have a pre-biometric passport and my appearance has changed, lost weight, hair style etc etc from when photo was taken several years previous, I've had no problems at all.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They take into account that your appearance will change in 5-10 years, I wouldn't worry. :)
  • sootygirlsootygirl Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been looking online about this, my passport photo is awful, I got a really long questioning last time I was in spain so before I got to america next year Im gonna get it changed.

From what I can find on the passport site you cant just change the photo, you have to renew the passport and that costs £72. :(
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my passport photo I have short, bleached blonde hair and no glasses. Now I have long, dark blonde hair and wear black-rimmed spectacles. It's never been a problem when travelling. Although going to Australia last year the bloke in immigration shook his head and said sexistly 'you ladies and your hair'. :D
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my driving license photo. I remember having it done, and the boss said i looked like a model (it made my year :D).

Now ..... i look nothing like it *sobs*

I havent got a passport, but wanted to join in the thread :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is just coming up to 10 years old, I look like Morticia Adams in it. I've gone through a million different hairstyles and pairs of glasses/contact lenses, no-one has ever questioned it. My daughter is a bald, 3 month old baby in hers, she's now 4 and a half years old (and no longer bald :p), and no-one has ever questioned me about her, either.

Save your money :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I love my driving license photo. I remember having it done, and the boss said i looked like a model (it made my year :D).

Now ..... i look nothing like it *sobs*

I havent got a passport, but wanted to join in the thread :D

Quoted so you don't feel like a forum pariah or post leper. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fafita2786 wrote: »
    Quoted so you don't feel like a forum pariah or post leper. :D

Awwww Fanks :o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My passport photo doesnt look like me. my hairs shorter and no longer died red =]
    although one of my mates said to me the other day its the most glamourous passport photo going! made my year that!
  • DizzyDDizzyD Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    I dont think it really matters. My mum looked really different on hers and it never got questioned, and my cousin travelled from swiss to spain last year and he was 10 or something on the photo and he was now 17 and the passport ran out the day he travelled and they didnt even care, it was only a few weeks before where he got started at. anyway im gonna stop baffleing on and say save your money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    hi, how are you
    i got my danish passport in 2004 and my appearance change a lot, do you think that i will have problem travel or what i can do now ??

the photo its not look like me at all i look like other person ....

please what i can do ??
  • QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    I was an idiot when I got my ten year passport - I used the same picture that I applied for my driving license with, which was taken when I was 16! :eek:

Ten years older now and I look absolutely nothing like the photo at all, but I've managed to travel throughout the world (including through super strict USA immigration control) with little more than a raised eyebrow.

Only a year to go and I can renew with a more appropriate photo on both my passport and driver's license! :D
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was sixteen when I had my passport photo taken. I'm nearly 21, and look a lot different. By the time my passport expires when I'm 26, I'm sure I'll look like a different person.
  • Hector RivaHector Riva Posts: 2,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovetats wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry - my passport photo makes me look like Eva Braun when IRL, I'm a babe LMAO!!!

Your face will still be recognisable to customs/immigration officials, even if you think you look very different.

I had an old passport with me having long, darker hair and then had it all cut short and bleached blonde. No immigration official ever questioned me about it, even in farflung places where the polis have machine guns - gulp!!

I'd save yourself the money and just get a new one when your's expires.

They look at the shape of the ears, nose and eyes.

If you've had extensive plastic surgery then you'd probably need a new passport photo.
  • chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mohaned127 wrote: »
    hi, how are you
    i got my danish passport in 2004 and my appearance change a lot, do you think that i will have problem travel or what i can do now ??

please what i can do ??

Have you not read any of the original responses on this three year old thread you resurrected?

Alternatively, contact the Danish passport office for a response.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Mohaned127 wrote: »
    hi, how are you

please what i can do ??

You shouldn't have a problem, changes in appearance are normal and taken into account.

However, I presume the Danish authorities are similar to the UK, in that you can apply for a new passport with an updated photo. But here in the UK you have to pay for a new, full passport.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if you were 45 stone when your passport photo was taken and you're now 11 stone?
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you've had extensive plastic surgery I wouldn't worry. They know that it is likely people will change their hairstyles.

Facial recognition on scanning devices is done by measuring the distance between your features etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus - I posted in this thread in 2008. 6 years ago.

I really need to get a life !!!
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Jesus - I posted in this thread in 2008. 6 years ago.

I really need to get a life !!!

Have you still got the same photo on your driving licence? :D
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend who changes her hair colour every month, she'd be paying a fortune if they charged you for changing your photo every time you changed your appearance.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone old enough to remember the old stiff dark blue British passports from the 60s-70s?
    There were two spaces for a photo on the inside page, you could have your spouse's photo in one, so that you could travel together, or if your appearance had changed, you could have a more recent one in there.
    My original photo showed me with short hair and freshly shaved.
    In the 70s, to emulate bands like The Eagles etc. I had grown a full beard and moustache, and my hair was almost to my shoulders, I had a new photo like that in the second space.
    One day I landed at Heathrow and produced my passport.
    The immigration guy perused it for a couple of seconds, then said with a smile, "Don't think much of your missus, pal!"
  • sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry, my photo had the guy in stitches in Philadelpia,they had collected passports for some reason (not usual) and you had to go and collect it from the desk, when it came to mine he called his colleagues over, and they all came over and had a good laugh as sell as he was expecting somedone with a Mohican, which I've never had, it is just such a bad photo