Ryanair, Monarch or Easyjet?

2»

Comments

• ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm bored, so here goes.

A random week to Palma, Majorca (PMI) out 10 jul, back 17th jul, but nearby dates, basically hunting the lowest possible fare.

1 adult, 1 bag to check in, airport check in (you cannot use online check in with Ryanair if you need to check in a bag).

Ryanair from Standsted: Flight £107, extra charge for baggage and arpt check in £24, ttl £131. (Max 10kg Hand luggage). Food/drink not included.

BMI from LHR : £404, Free checked baggage allowance 20kg. No check in fee. Other BMI dates can get down to about 170, but I couldn't find lower. Hand baggage: hand baggage must be no larger than 55x40x23cm
    When travelling on an economy fare on bmi regional flights, complimentary refreshments appropriate to the time of day are served.

Easyjet from Luton: £77 inc £5 each way for 1 hold bag. Hand luggage is one standard piece of hand baggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm. food/drink not included

Monarch from Luton: £98 inc £12for 1 bag (£5.99 each way) hand baggage Maximum weight must not exceed 10kg per person. Food/drink not included

BA from Gatwick: £105. 1 free piece of hold baggage, up to 23kg, Handbaggage: A 23kg(51lbs) maximum bag weight applies and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided. Free in flight refreshment, including bar

Iberia - £176 flights all go via MAdrid, which makes the journey longer. Forget that.

Thomsonfly Gatwick - £94, inc £10 for luggage. no meal included."free generous hand luggage allowance of up to 10kg"

I need to get out more.

All info from their websites.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Not Ryanair.

That is all.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never flown with Monarch so I can't comment, but have flown twice with easyJet and once with Ryanair.

I much prefer easyJet to Ryanair. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I just feel much happier going with easyJet. It may be that I've always felt Ryanair was a bit of a cheap outfit, but then I know folk say the same about easyJet.

I also much prefer Stelios to Michael O'Leary! :D
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ff999 wrote: »
    I'm bored, so here goes.

.........................................I need to get out more.

All info from their websites.

You are a truly wonderful person. That is what I started to do on Friday but decided it was too complicated for my brain to cope with........ I got so confused about all the baggage regulations.

Please accept a huge virtual bunch of flowers from me.
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maxsi wrote: »
    You are a truly wonderful person. That is what I started to do on Friday but decided it was too complicated for my brain to cope with........ I got so confused about all the baggage regulations.

Please accept a huge virtual bunch of flowers from me.

Flowers accepted! You're most kind:)

Its kind of my job, happy to help.
  • zigthedogzigthedog Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I can't comment on Monarch but I've used Ryanair & Easyjet. Easyjet I found were fine but Ryanair NO. I've used Ryanair twice and they were bad. No not bad, awful. I have openly said unless it's a matter that I really have no choice, regardless of cost I will never willing use Ryanair again. In my experience the service was very poor and the staff unhelpful. We flew to Rome and the flight time was doubled because we had to go via Sardinia to drop off engineers to fix a broken plane. What was a 2 hour flight turned in to 4 hours. We were sitting on black Plastic seats with nonadjustable backs. We were not as much given a free cup of water and the flight attendants used the fact we were trapped on the plan just as another "sales opportunity". It wouldn't have been as bad if the flight was one of those £1 flights, it wasn't, the flight was part of a package holiday from Travelscope who I am pleased to hear have gone bust as I didn't think much of them either.
    Twice we've flown to Ireland and had the choice of Ryanair or Aer Lingus both times and both times we chose Aer Lingus. Why? Aer Lingus was cheaper, more flights to chose from and you could pre-book your seats.
    Over the years we have flown with some of the major carriers in the world including BA, Virgin, Pan Am, TWA, Eastern, Lufthansa, Sabina, Iberia, Air China plus low cost airlines such as Easyjet, Go & Britannia, to name just a few and without any shadow of doubt Ryanair was the worst.
  • 001_ATLANTIS001_ATLANTIS Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a very memorable flight with Ryanair to Brussels (well somewhere allegedly near to Brussels but that's another story). A tripped out passenger decided to have a wee smoke in the toilet and promptly set fire to it. We witnessed a steward running the full length of the plane with a fire extinguisher, bashing the door in and the nutter being dragged out of the loo and jumped on by the entire flight crew!. Talk about in-flight entertainment! I was actually more concerned about the ignomy of perishing in bloody Belgium. I mean, Belgium for god sake!
  • zigthedogzigthedog Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Had a very memorable flight with Ryanair to Brussels (well somewhere allegedly near to Brussels but that's another story). A tripped out passenger decided to have a wee smoke in the toilet and promptly set fire to it. We witnessed a steward running the full length of the plane with a fire extinguisher, bashing the door in and the nutter being dragged out of the loo and jumped on by the entire flight crew!. Talk about in-flight entertainment! I was actually more concerned about the ignomy of perishing in bloody Belgium. I mean, Belgium for god sake!

You sure that wasn't Ryanair's pilot having a crafty ****?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    ... Ryanair to Brussels (well somewhere allegedly near to Brussels but that's another story) ...

That'll be Charleroi with the non-existant return minibus to get you back to the airport then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    sancheeez wrote: »
    That'll be Charleroi with the non-existant return minibus to get you back to the airport then?

We flew there over the weekend - there was a Bus, that you had to pay € 13.00 for a 1 way trip to Brussles. We hired a car.
    The flights where fine - a slight delay each way. But the airport staff where beyond rude, especially the security.

Couldn't believe how far the airport was from Brussles. Brussels South Airport!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Lydser05 wrote: »
    Couldn't believe how far the airport was from Brussles. Brussels South Airport!!!

I think Prestwick is probably further from Glasgow and the one they call Barcelona is about an hour and a half away!!!

Out of town airports are fine as long as they remain cheap and you're aware you'll probably be landing miles from where you actually want to be BEFORE you go!

We ran into some poor guy at Barcelona airport last week who only discovered he was flying from the 'other' Barcelona airport once he got to the main one! His son had booked him the flights and just told him Barcelona and I don't think he bothered reading the bit of paper printed from the internet. D'oh!

Lucky for him there was a bus that was going to get him there in time for his flight but he wasn't exactly pleased!

Be handy for Scandanavia when RyanAir open up a load of new routes from Edinburgh later this year as all the main airport cost an absolute fortune to fly to from here!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    sancheeez wrote: »
    I think Prestwick is probably further from Glasgow and the one they call Barcelona is about an hour and a half away!!!

Out of town airports are fine as long as they remain cheap and you're aware you'll probably be landing miles from where you actually want to be BEFORE you go!

We ran into some poor guy at Barcelona airport last week who only discovered he was flying from the 'other' Barcelona airport once he got to the main one! His son had booked him the flights and just told him Barcelona and I don't think he bothered reading the bit of paper printed from the internet. D'oh!

Lucky for him there was a bus that was going to get him there in time for his flight but he wasn't exactly pleased!

Be handy for Scandanavia when RyanAir open up a load of new routes from Edinburgh later this year as all the main airport cost an absolute fortune to fly to from here!

Oh I have been to Glasgow Preswick before, like you said once they are keep & have good transport links then its fine.
    I think in future I will try and fact in the cost of gettin where we want to be, when booking flights!!
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I flew with both Easyjet and Monarch!

I went to the Algarve with Easyjet and unfortunately we werte stuck on a plane with a bunch of party goers who couln't stop screaming. The staff did nothing to shut them up, despite there being a lot of complaints about the noise. In fact.... The staff joined in with the noise... Terrible... Thank God it was only a two and a half hours flight.

Went to Rhodes with Monarchs....... Absolutely hellish.... No leg space, terrible service.... Food was... well.... I wouldn't call it food.

I definately wont be travelling with Monarch on a long hual flight again.... A friend of mine went to Goa with them, she said never again.

Both are quite bad..... But they're cheap so don't expect much.... From now on, if the flight is more than 2 hours.... I'm going with a quality airline.
  • eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not flown with Monarch so cannot comment on them. I have used both Easyjet and Ryanair. I had lots of problems with Ryanair, stroppy staff, getting stranded in Spain and very, very poor customer service. I have used Easyjet without problems they are obviously cheap and cheerful but at least they are cheerful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH NOT MONARCH.

Simple flight from Manchester to Barcelona, they managed to lose my boyfriend's case. That was on the Thursday. They promised to deliver it on Friday - nothing. We rang their baggage handlers and apparently they keep office hours, meaning they wouldn't be open until Monday. We rang again, the promised to deliver it Tuesday. We received it Tuesday evening and we left on the Thursday morning. It ruined the holiday as he had to buy new clothes (we were on a tight budget as it was) and use my toothbrush, sun lotion, even wear my flip flops as he only had the trainers he was wearing.

I know it's not strictly Monarch's fault but if you pick such stupid baggage handlers... jeez.

I have always found Ryanair to be the best.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not Ryanair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't go Monarch dear god, I went from Dublin to Zakynthos, and it was the worst, the seats are smaller than ryanair, they charged €5 to rent earphones, to listen to the audio of a movie, they didnt appreciate when I said loudly (my ears hadn't popped) to my mate "HEY MY IPOD EARPHONES WORK" they told me to not use my earphones :eek: wtf?

Also on the return flight there were about 20 people, and every other seat was free, so I went to the emergency exit seats, as my legs are big (I'm very tall) one of the stewards asked me to pay €16 or vaccate the seat, I did neither, and got into a big argument with them, saying if I was fat I wouldn't be subjected to pay extra for my weight, I won the argument, but they all hated me :D

The staff are a shower of bastards too, well the ones that were on my flight were.

Ryanair are amazing, they're really cheap, cheaper than monarch and better planes and service too. I heart ryanair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vote for EasyJet here.
  • simonipswichsimonipswich Posts: 1,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flown on both easyJet and RyanAir and found both to be fine, just follow their rules and you won't have problem. easyJet do tend to be cheaper than RyanAir as RyanAir add a lot of extras onto the price.