Options

Seats on planes

Jill_FanJill_Fan Posts: 1,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can someone tell me how you get allocated certain seats on planes?

Is it the earlier you check in? Or the earlier you book? So say if I book a holiday 3 weeks before I go, is there a chance my party will be split up, or can I still check in as soon as it opens and be sat together?

Sorry for rambling.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    On every airline I've ever flown with, seats have been allocated at check-in, so I advise getting there early otherwise you will just be put in whatever seats are left. Getting there early also means you can try asking for the exit row seats with extra legroom :)

Edit: forgot about those where it's first come, first served once people are actually boarding.
  • Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    Some airline allow you to pre book seats, some airline like easyjet its whoever gets on the plane first and some airlines it how early you check in.

Who are you thinking of flying with?
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    either prebook or I believe they are allocated on arrival. So the earlier you arrive the more choice or chance of sitting together. Easyjet don't allocate seats first on the plane get first choice.
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Totally depends on the airline. Some will let you book seats for a fee, some will let you do online check in that means you can reserve seats together. With some you have to run the risk at check in, although the earlier you are the more chance you have. Some airlines don't have allocated seating at all, it's totally first come first served on the aircraft.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, so its not how early you book then? Just check in? Ta

Gorgeousgirl - BA or Virgin atlantic.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill_Fan wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, so its not how early you book then? Just check in? Ta

Gorgeousgirl - BA or Virgin atlantic.

On BA (and Virgin I think - haven't flown with them in ages) you can choose your own seat if you check-in online. You can do that 24 hours before departure. I'm usually on their website waiting at 24hrs and 1 minute before the departure time to make sure I get the first choice.

Then you go to the airport and try to blag an upgrade to business. :)
  • Options
    Alex DugganAlex Duggan Posts: 6,185
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    On BA (and Virgin I think - haven't flown with them in ages) you can choose your own seat if you check-in online. You can do that 24 hours before departure. I'm usually on their website waiting at 24hrs and 1 minute before the departure time to make sure I get the first choice.

Then you go to the airport and try to blag an upgrade to business. :)

With Virgin Atlantic you can choose your seats any point after you've booked (assuming not too many seats have already been allocated - if they have then you get to choose from the further seats that they free up at online check in 24 hours before the flight.)

With BA you can only choose your seats before online check in opens if you buy a fully flexible (read: expensive!) ticket, are a Silver/Gold executive club member or travel in First Class!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for your replies everyone
  • Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I've flown with both BA and Virgin and just turned up early at check in and got seats with my family no problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just keep wondering if its wise booking with BA at the minute, i'm worried about the strikes that are gonna happen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    BA online check-in normally opens 24hr before departure so make sure you're sitting at your pc, on the BA website at 24.01 hours before departure time to allocate your seats and be quick about it too or you'll hit the button to select and find someone's grabbed it. It's much better if you have in mind exactly where you want to sit.

If you know what plane you're flying on eg 747, you can download the seating arrangement for the plane now so that you can choose your first choice, second choice seats now so that you can whack them in quick when online check-in opens.
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    http://www.seatguru.com/ is very good for working out where to sit and, more importantly, where NOT to sit.

Choose your airline on the left hand side then pick the plane type you will be on and it shows where the good seats and bad seats are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    unless there's a massive group of you its very lunlikely you wont be sat together unless you check in late