Options

Calling USA

Jill_FanJill_Fan Posts: 1,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What is the cheapest way of calling the USA (NYC) from the UK?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill_Fan wrote: »

It was recently discussed here. See http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1045304
  • Options
    bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill_Fan wrote: »

Use someone else's phone.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you know anyone who has the Talk Talk package?

If you do then ask to use their phone. Calls to USA landlines are free.

I often use my friend's phone to call Sacramento.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.voipcheap.com

I am always calling the UK and USA and this is great. If you are calling land line to land line the cost is 5 cents(euro) for the connection and no call cost for as long as you want.

You put a tenner on and it lasts for ages, even calling mobiles is a fraction of the cost. You use phone to phone and it calls you then pick up and it will call the other person. Obvioulsy you need an internet connection to use it. They give you a free trial of a few calls first before you register. download it to your desktop for ease. You can also use the same account on several computers if you are at work or home or a mates
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    If it's just for a one-off, you can buy international calling cards from the Post Office. My Mum used to buy them to call me on my mobile in Australia, they last for about 25 minutes, and cost about 2p a minute from a landline :)
  • Options
    TequilaTequila Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    summerain wrote: »
    If it's just for a one-off, you can buy international calling cards from the Post Office. My Mum used to buy them to call me on my mobile in Australia, they last for about 25 minutes, and cost about 2p a minute from a landline :)

No need to bother with that.

See here. VOIP or Skype might be free but not practical. There are 0844 companies that you can ring the US on for ½p a minute.