HD projector advice

rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I live in an apartment that has a double height ceiling which I use for my projector (it was one of the main reasons I bought the apartment - for my projector!). The projector is fed via component and outputs in SD only although can receive a 1080 signal I believe. It is a Panasonic AE-100U I think from memory (at work so can't check) and it has been brilliant. I have had it for about 8 years and have never had any problems with it and have never had to replace the bulb. I also have a Philips 42PFL9703 Full HD TV.

How much is a good HD projector? I have my projector beam a screen size of about 8ft across and about 6ft high (not exact measurements!). Could I still get a good HD picture at this screen size? I don't use a screen, I just use my white wall.

Finally, would I run it using a long HDMI cable? If so, would it be possible to keep my Blu-Ray and Sky HD connected to my TV AND have it connected to the projector at the same time?

Also, would I get much money for my Panasonic?

Thanks.

Comments

• Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Optoma do a very good range of HD projectors, they range from around £400 upwards. Even the entry model that only has 1280x720 resolution will give an excellent image, even at 120".

I have the HD65 which is 1280x720 and have this projecting on to a 100" screen and the results are brilliant.

The entry models as far as I know only have 1xHDMI so you would need a switch box if you decided on one of theses, models higher up in the range like the HD200x do have 2xHDMI, the HD200X which is 1080p is about £650.

One thing I will mention is these are DLP projectors, they work with a colour wheel, a side affect of this is something called the rainbow affect, it doesn't affect everyone but if you are affected it can be very annoying, luckily for me/wife it's not a problem. One thing you can look for is the speed of the wheel, 4x or 6x, the faster the wheel the less likelihood of the rainbow affect. Best to get a demo, if you are affected then LCD may be the better way to go.

http://www.optoma.co.uk/homeentertainmentprojectors

EDIT:

If you can I would recommend you invest in a good screen, if not now sometime in the near future, they really do make a difference.