New York alone?

2»

Comments

• bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may help to realize that many people who come to New York are not native New Yorkers and many (if they can afford it) live alone. Essentially you will not be more alone than they are. As someone with a poor sense of direction, I can tell you that the perpendicular layout of NYC streets is much easier than in most cities. :)
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    The good thing about NY is that in bars its fine to sit at the bar and chat to the barman/maid unlike over here where if you go into a pub on your own you invariably end up in the way stood at the bar and bugger off to a table by yourself.

We went in a bar one afternoon and got up chatting to a local who turned out to be a professional horse bet person. We ended up spending about 5 hours with him in which time he called his mate to come over to meet us, put on a $20 bet on our behalf and gave us loads of other great places to go.

Your daytime would be filled with sightseeing so you wouldnt even notice you were alone.

Do it!! :D
  • MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou so much for all the replies - it's great to hear how positive you all are about going alone! Thanks also for the New York greeters website; I've bookmarked it.

Moonbean.
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I haven't been to New York but am always highly encouraging to those who want to go travelling alone. You will find yourself doing things without any thought or worry unlike if you were to do them back here (whilst still being alert of your surroundings). When I went to Bangkok, I dumped my bags in my room and immediately set off to find a nearby bar and ended up playing pool with a local and soaking up the atmosphere. The only thing I was wary of when being on my own was eating out alone at nice restaurants but don't let it stop you. Definitely go for it and am sure you will have a fantastic time. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    This thread is making me really jealous. I want to go travelling again :cry::)
  • cloudycloudy Posts: 3,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone is saying do it so DO IT. Book the flights tonight.

I went to Florida with some family and friends a few years ago but as i booked later than everyone else i could not get the same flights as them.

I tacked on a couple of days in New York at the end of the holiday on my own, it was great. I took in a show and an ice hockey game. I was so impressed with the police presence on the streets especially at night, they are on just about every street corner near Timesquare. Felt totally safe and loved the fact that i could do what i wanted to do.

DO IT NOW!
  • the sandmanthe sandman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :(:(:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moosifer wrote: »
    This thread is making me really jealous. I want to go travelling again :cry::)

Making me jealous too. I love NYC. Another tip is to read the frequently asked questions on Trip Advisor. There is a mine of information on there.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    Manhattan is set out in grid system. Streets run East to West and are numbered North to South and Avenues run North to South but are numbered east to west. The intersections are always well labelled. So if you wanted to visit somewhere thats located on 15th and 6th while you were on 10th and 3rd. you'd need to walk 5 blocks north then 3 blocks west.

Ummmmm :confused: