Is Cameron himself safe ??

13»

Comments

• gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Hunt is so convinced that he's done nothing wrong then isn't it unfair of Cameron not to give him the chance to clear his name by having an inquiry on whether he breached the ministerial code now ?
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    If Hunt is so convinced that he's done nothing wrong then isn't it unfair of Cameron not to give him the chance to clear his name by having an inquiry on whether he breached the ministerial code now ?

Hunt (and I believe Cameron) are claiming that they can't have an investigation now because it would prejudice the Leveson inquiry.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,560
    Forum Member
    I don't think he is and on two different fronts too. Remember is took on Andy Coulson igoring the warnings not to and why did he take him on?

To me and imo it was so obvious from the begining that Hunt would be trying to get the Sky takeover become a done deal and if the allegations are true I'd be amazed if Cameron wasn't in on it as well. I personally have no doubt that this is Tories in general acting with supreme arrogance, with the born to rule mindset going on bigtime in this Tory led cabinet.
    Remember Liam Fox and his advisor and what they where up to?! :mad: Imo they seem to think they can just do what they like when they can't!

The other place where Cameron is no longer safe is that with all of the above and his refusal to get an indpendent inquiry done on Hunt and with the uber arroagance he displays at PM Q's, I really do see Cameron as a liability now for the Tories and that the backbenchers will get rid of him at some point, esp if the elections next week go bad and their polling stays bad as well as the economy staying bad.

Having said all of that, too many Tories are like this imo but the Tory backbenchers want more rightwing policies and really they belong in UKIP now. If Cameron does end up going, it will almost certainly mean a General Election I think as I can't see Clegg being ok with a new right wing leader taking over.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,560
    Forum Member
    He reminds me of a child who stomps their feet on the ground or takes the football off the pitch so no one else can play if he doesn't get his own way.

Yep I agree. He has a very combative style generally, he was like that in his very first PM Q's against Blair and I've always hated his combative "style". Cameron only got away with it because he became Tory leader in Labour's THIRD TERM when people had started to tire of Labour bigtime, this is a key point that most people never think of when it comes to expecting Miliband to be scoring as many blows and failing to remember that this is the Tories FIRST TERM (and hopefully only term!) as well as Miliband being the first Labour leader of the opposition after 13 years of Labour being in power.

Blair was very unpopular when Cameron became Tory leader and then when Brown became PM, he was an even easier target for Cameron to rip into and get away with being combative too.
    Now that Cameron himself is PM, he seems to think that even if he isn't on the recieving end of the same kind of style he used to dish out as opposition leader, if somene dares disagree with him or cititicize his policies along with the media attacking him then all he has to do is throw his toys out of the pram to APPEAR to have seen such things off but over time and on a drip by drip basis he was only making himself look like a little bratt spitting his dummy out.

Now with all this uber arroagance of how the Tories have been acting like on things like Cameron taking on Andy Coulson only for him to go in the end and with the Liam Fox and Adam Werrity situation and their resignations and these latest allegations along with a big tax cut for the richest people, this has esculated people realising the bad points about the Tories. I think regaredless of what happens over the next few years, people will realise that the Tories are there for the rich and act that way too and if new parties come along, then the Tories will lose out to them.
    If they did get rid of Cameron then would Clegg take over as PM until the Tories elected a new leader seeing as he's Deputy Leader of the Government ?

Apparently the Cabinet would have to agree who heads the Government if anything happens to Cameron. This was bought up on the Daily Politics off the back of Peter Bone repeatedly asking this kind of question in Parliament.

If Cameron did go, I think David Davis would be much more popular than Cameron and I think he would get the Tories an outright majority probably at least a majority of 40.
    Even as a Labour person, he is someone I have always seen as pretty impressive for a long time now and appears to have good leadership material about him generally. Much more substance to him imo.

In a way its quite tragic that the Tory membership went for Cameron because Cameron did a Blair. Both Blair and Cameron are salesmen types of politicians and look where this has goton us! One took us into an illegal pre emptive strike war with Iraq and he kept on saying he would do the same again "No matter what the political cost". :mad: Well Blair sure did do massive damage to Labour as a result (!) and with Cameron, he managed to scaremonger to us about the credit agencies when they have never feautured before and Cameron also said if we didn't cut we'd be downgraded and would have to pay up to 16 Billion a year extra in interest payments.

Since then we are now in recession, paying 17 Billiona year extra so far, added 158 Billion to the national debt but hey, we haven't been downgraded though! :rolleyes:
    So I think people should do us all a massive favour and stop falling for the salesmen in politics like Blair and Cameron and go for those with substance, policies and policies that are good for us and by someone who will deliver them rather than saying what we want to hear etc etc
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All this proves is that the Tories haven't changed at all.

Hope more does come out. This lot being a one term government is the best thing for all of us.

You obviously haven't either realised or acknowledged that most of what will come out of the Leveson Inquiry happened during the previous government.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Without a doubt. If the economy is on the way up by 2015 then the Tories will win the election (with or without the Lib Dems), if is is still in the doldrums then Labour will win as the public will be ready for "Plan B". Nothing else really matters.

In Labour's case it will, at most, be Plan "A" because they don't corrently have any plans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    And if the Tories are kicked out the odds are they will be replaced by another set of lying, cheating, fiddling, inept toerags in the form of the Milibands, Ballses et al. They are just the same, if not worse.Amongst the emails revealed by Leveson there were also attempts by Lib Dems to suck up to the Murdochs. The Lib Dems have also had problems with donations, and the SNP have also been caught out in the Murdoch emails. The whole lot are rotten to the core.

At last someone has it right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem for the Tories though is who do they replace Cameron with and can they actually replace him given he is prime minister of a coalition? given all the outrage the Tories had at ''unelected'' Gordon Brown it would make them look like even bigger hypocrites if they didn't call an election after replacing him.

Its all going to turn into a rather big mess really if Cameron is dropped right in it.

David Davies if they'll have him and if he'll stand, the fact it's a coalition is neither here nor there. If Davies was prepared to stand, it's just possible he'd win on the basis he's seemingly untainted.
  • Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If life for Dave was not bad enough it looks like his ex-lover is a touch loopy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

I knew we would never miss the News Of The World :)
  • TonyfaceTonyface Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    I don't think he is and on two different fronts too. Remember is took on Andy Coulson igoring the warnings not to and why did he take him on?

To me and imo it was so obvious from the begining that Hunt would be trying to get the Sky takeover become a done deal and if the allegations are true I'd be amazed if Cameron wasn't in on it as well. I personally have no doubt that this is Tories in general acting with supreme arrogance, with the born to rule mindset going on bigtime in this Tory led cabinet.
    Remember Liam Fox and his advisor and what they where up to?! :mad: Imo they seem to think they can just do what they like when they can't!

The other place where Cameron is no longer safe is that with all of the above and his refusal to get an indpendent inquiry done on Hunt and with the uber arroagance he displays at PM Q's, I really do see Cameron as a liability now for the Tories and that the backbenchers will get rid of him at some point, esp if the elections next week go bad and their polling stays bad as well as the economy staying bad.

Having said all of that, too many Tories are like this imo but the Tory backbenchers want more rightwing policies and really they belong in UKIP now. If Cameron does end up going, it will almost certainly mean a General Election I think as I can't see Clegg being ok with a new right wing leader taking over.

I am starting to agree, as time goes on it really does seem that the reason that Hunt feels he is so innocent, is that he was acting on Cameron's orders, and given his position as stated in the article at the head of the thread, he may well feel justified in feeling that he is being asked to be the fall guy.

If the above is the case, and Cameron was twisting Hunt's arm behind the scenes, then he has no option but to support his position. Waiting to see what Leveson can discover before inquiring themselves just makes it seem as if they want to know what Leveson knows first, before they make any further admissions of their own.

Today on SKY Tory MP Esther McVey, seemed to think that the problem is people think that the Conservatives are not being allowed to be Conservative enough, and are being held back by the Lib-dems, perhaps the Tories should go to the Polls then to test her theory.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He reminds me of a child who stomps their feet on the ground or takes the football off the pitch so no one else can play if he doesn't get his own way.
    As I keep saying - a government of 5 year olds. It's like watching a child playing at tea parties.

Hunt at the moment is the firewall to Number 10 - if that goes then Dave will crash and burn.

BUT there's the side-show of Rebekah Brooks who is expected to produce emails and possibly text messages which show more direct links between Dave & NI.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonyface wrote: »
    This Pre- Election BBC article, shows that it is not inconceivable that Jeremy Hunt was actually acting on the direct instructions of David Cameron.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8601711.stm

If it transpires that his pre- 2010 election statements on policy about removing many of Ofcoms powers if not abolishing it entirely and reducing the size of the BBC, were at the behest of Murdoch should he resign.

PS: Please no blind towing the Party line answers.

Personally, I do not actually think that it would be a resigning matter for a PM, provided that Governments actually learn from this, my bigger concern with all of this is that we may not learn anything from it and Governments of all persuasions will just keep rolling along, in representing their vested interests rather than the people that elect them.

has anyone asked vince cable?
  • TonyfaceTonyface Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron was very self assured on the Andrew Marr show today.

Perhaps he already knows that there is no further incriminating evidence within the Jeremy Hunt communications, but I wonder if he taking quite a gamble on what Leveson has managed to glean from other evidence sources like Rebecca Brooks.
  • AndyTSJAndyTSJ Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funny part about this is that James Murdoch must be laughing his head off as he sunbathes on an island beach somewhere in the world. Best way to deflect attention from yourself? - implicate somebody else. Let's face it, if anyone knows how to work the media it's a Murdoch. Sure enough, he's reeled everyone in and that's all everyone is talking about.

At the same time it does nothing to convince politicians of the need to distance themselves from the Murdochs when this is the damage they can cause.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonyface wrote: »
    Today on SKY Tory MP Esther McVey, seemed to think that the problem is people think that the Conservatives are not being allowed to be Conservative enough, and are being held back by the Lib-dems, perhaps the Tories should go to the Polls then to test her theory.

That would be a bit difficult for DC to get through under the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act. It needs a two-thirds vote in the HOC and most Tories & LibDems are not going to vote for it.