Options

Split a Freesat signal.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
Forum Member
I have a situation where all the 8 cables from my Octo LNB are used. In one of the rooms which has a single cable outlet I want to provide a second outlet which is simply designed to provide flexibility in the room layout. Only one of the two outlets would be in use at any one time.
To accomplish this I think I can split that single cable into two using this...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-2-way-splitter-with-power-pass-all-ports/99105

Will this work, and would I experience any significant loss in signal strength/quality in splitting this way?
Is there a better way of accomplishing a second outlet, keeping in mind the use I have highlighted above.?

Comments

• Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that should work, the important thing is the pwoer pass through (which controls the LNB), and this says it does.

Will be fine as long as you are only using 1 of the outputs at a time (although, in theory, you could use the second output at the smae time, and get a quarter of the channels, but that can get complicated).
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Have you thought about getting another LNB along with one of these?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Have you thought about getting another LNB along with one of these?
    With a min of 3 degrees separation I believe that holder is designed for a 2 satellite installation, not simply 2 LNBs on the same satellite. Correct?
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    With a min of 3 degrees separation I believe that holder is designed for a 2 satellite installation, not simply 2 LNBs on the same satellite. Correct?

I wouldn't have a clue myself, I've just seen the odd dish here and there that has the same.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Correct . If the op wants to use a lnb output in a different location then a simple patch box is all that's needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...a simple patch box is all that's needed.
    Patch box?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See How to make a Signal Distribution plate here
    http://www.satcure.com/tech/fconn.htm
    That should do it, thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just a follow up on the patch plate recommended by grahamlthompson, thanks graham...
    I bought two of these from...
    http://www.tvaerials.com/product.aspx?productid=3717
    ...which was the cheapest taking postage into the equation.
    Plates are very good quality Labgear units.
    I took one cable from the octo LNB and routed it to the plate. From the plate I ran additional cables to all the new spots where I might want an outlet, including a second cable to some existing single outlets. Now, off of an octo LNB I have the flexibility to feed 9 rooms either with twin feeds or single feeds, directly off of the LNB or via the plate.
    For example, 3 rooms with twin feeds for PVR, plus 2 rooms with single feed. Or two rooms with twin feed and 4 with single. I can vary which rooms get a feed.
    Worked out very well for my requirements.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BTW...you can also get an 8-way version of that plate so you can mix and match outputs as required...
    http://www.tvaerials.com/product.aspx?productid=3719
  • Options
    Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me that it is easier to split an infinitive :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sounds to me that it is easier to split an infinitive :D
    Explain ???
  • Options
    Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Explain ???

I know it ruins a joke by having to explain it but this thread is about splitting a Freesat signal - I simply said it it would be easier to split an Infinitive. e.g.the famous Star Trek phrase. English Grammar. :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's OK. I got it anyway! Anyway, certainly with one of those multi F-connector plates it would be easy to quickly swap between receivers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know it ruins a joke by having to explain it but this thread is about splitting a Freesat signal - I simply said it it would be easier to split an Infinitive. e.g.the famous Star Trek phrase. English Grammar. :cry:
    Yes, I boldly went to coin a phrase.