Anyone here tried Protein shakes?

quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
Forum Member
I'm really skinny and no matter how much I eat or try to bulk up nothing happens.Has anyone tried them and have they worked? Is there something in them that could do more harm than good in the long term?

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you worked out how many calories you're consuming? You might be able to bulk up by just eating more.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    I eat alot of meats and veg and such.I have Gilbert's syndrome which is a very minor condition of the liver and can cause weight loss,which is why I think the only way I can put weight on is with protein shakes and weight lifting.I'll obviously speak to my doctor about it but I was just curious if any posters had tried protein shakes with good results.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure what effects Gilbert's syndrome have however I'd suggest against using protein shakes unless you see a doctor first. A high protein intake has problems of its own - which (from memory) also effect the liver/kidney due to the uric acid produced. I'd be inclined to look at your total calorific intake and try to increase this whilst maintaining a reasonably balanced diet.

Without knowing the details of Gilbert's (apart from a quick glance at the wiki page) I would be inclined to run things past your doctor first :)
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As mentioned too much protein can be bad for you liver, normally this would be people taking 5 or 6 shakes a day but in your case if you have a liver condition then I would get doctors advice.

But in answer to your question, protein shakes usually come in high or low carb varieties, you would have to check the actual shake to see what carb content is. Bad news, extra carbs are just going to turn to fat unless you are burning them off with a LOT of exercise and turning them into muscle.

So bottom line, go see your doctor and ask to be referred to a dietician if necessary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    As mentioned too much protein can be bad for you liver, normally this would be people taking 5 or 6 shakes a day but in your case if you have a liver condition then I would get doctors advice.

But in answer to your question, protein shakes usually come in high or low carb varieties, you would have to check the actual shake to see what carb content is. Bad news, extra carbs are just going to turn to fat unless you are burning them off with a LOT of exercise and turning them into muscle.

So bottom line, go see your doctor and ask to be referred to a dietician if necessary.

Umm ....

For someone with a healthy liver, it would take a lot more then 6 protein shakes (i mean its relative to how many scoops you put in them as well) to cause any kind of liver damage. However, in your case it may be best to consult a doctor beforehand.

A calorie is a calorie, it doesn't matter if its carb, protein or fat. if you eat in excess of any of these macro nutrients in comparison to your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) it will turn into fat. You can however minimize fat gains by strength/hypertrophy training while eating in a 500+ calorie surplus. I'm not sure how your kidney problem effects your metabolism however I can only suggest eating more then you are now, if the scales aren't moving eat more!. Get on myfitnesspal and track what you eat.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The formula for muscle growth is body weight in kg x 2.75 per day (in grams).

Work out how much you need, subtract the amount you're getting from the food you eat, then supplement the rest with protein shakes - most will have the protein content on the nutrional information.

For example, if you were 12 stone, in kg that's around 78kg, so the protein requirement per day is around 214g. Say you're getting 100g from food, you'd need to supplement with 114g. If you have a shake that has 40g per serving, that's three a day.
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a Friji milkshake down ya.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To add to my post above, I just read this article on bodybuilding.com:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki1.htm

And they're basically saying that under clinical trials, only 1.4g of protein per kg of body weight needs to be consumed rather than the 2+g that is usually recommended.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They gave me moobs!!
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    To add to my post above, I just read this article on bodybuilding.com:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki1.htm

And they're basically saying that under clinical trials, only 1.4g of protein per kg of body weight needs to be consumed rather than the 2+g that is usually recommended.

Thanks for that. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »

There is no scientific evidence that protein powder is bad for your kidneys or liver. I've been on Protein powder for the past 11 months now and I eat 3 of my meals on protein powder plus 2 more for before and after I've had no problems whatsoever.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Progrez wrote: »
    There is no scientific evidence that protein powder is bad for your kidneys or liver. I've been on Protein powder for the past 11 months now and I eat 3 of my meals on protein powder plus 2 more for before and after I've had no problems whatsoever.

there is more then one medical study that indicates excess protein can overload your kidneys and also reduce calcium level in your bones.