Options

Frankie - BBC series

Comments

• Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I've sat through 3 episodes back to back so I feel I've given it a fair chance.

It really is ghastly drivel of the first water.

This is just by-the-numbers, hackneyed soap 'drama'. From the 'seen it all' supervisor (complete with Scottish accent accent just so we know that he's a good guy) to the time-lapse night shots of the city, one cliché follows another. If any of the actors can actually act, the direction is so woefully poor that it's completely concealed.

Gosh, look who's rocked up in ep 3. A ground-breaking 'disabled' complete with wheelchair who's soooo breaking the spacka stereotype by being rude etc.

What's the betting that the politically incorrect middle-aged nurse's daughter gets into trouble in the next episode, gets helped out by an Eastern European immigrant and realises the error of her ways?

This is terrible stuff. On BBC1 as well. I know we get people complaining about how bland BBC drama has become to avoid offending anyone but this garbage does nothing to dispel that argument.

How can disabled characters / actors be in television drama if they don't get given any roles? Of course the first disabled characters are going to get noticed more than anyone else but you're the one making an issue out of it, not the producers.

There was a load of fuss over Angela Rippon being the first female newsreader but we got over it. ;)
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    How can disabled characters / actors be in television drama if they don't get given any roles? Of course the first disabled characters are going to get noticed more than anyone else but you're the one making an issue out of it, not the producers.

There was a load of fuss over Angela Rippon being the first female newsreader but we got over it. ;)

No, you've missed my point. The rough, tough disabled guy has already become a dramatic stereotype and that's what I was highlighting.

It was nice to see Brizzle as a setting but why was there absolutely no-one with a Westcountry accent?
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I've sat through 3 episodes back to back so I feel I've given it a fair chance.

It really is ghastly drivel of the first water.

This is just by-the-numbers, hackneyed soap 'drama'. From the 'seen it all' supervisor (complete with Scottish accent accent just so we know that he's a good guy) to the time-lapse night shots of the city, one cliché follows another. If any of the actors can actually act, the direction is so woefully poor that it's completely concealed.

Gosh, look who's rocked up in ep 3. A ground-breaking 'disabled' complete with wheelchair who's soooo breaking the spacka stereotype by being rude etc.

What's the betting that the politically incorrect middle-aged nurse's daughter gets into trouble in the next episode, gets helped out by an Eastern European immigrant and realises the error of her ways?

This is terrible stuff. On BBC1 as well. I know we get people complaining about how bland BBC drama has become to avoid offending anyone but this garbage does nothing to dispel that argument.

It's just vile, I know my medical stuff and can easily switch off my brain to watch Holby City but this Frankie rubbish is just vile to sit through, box ticking shit.

It better not get a return season.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petitshoo wrote: »
    Popular with everyone except the doc who's probably just jealous of her anyway, boundless energy to work all the hours God sends and still have time to go to the pub and decorate her living room twice .... yep, totally believable :rolleyes:

I'm starting to really dislike Frankie ....

me too, but I'm masochistically still watching it. I'm almost enjoying being irritated by her. Another cliche this week - only Frankie can administer the drugs to the little boy with cancer because he doesn't like the blonde bimbo nurse who shagged Frankie's ex;). The only thing missing is the halo round her head.
  • Options
    lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have given up on it so cannot comment on the latest episode, but the scheduling decisions amuse me - Aunty Beeb is determined that the target audience will have no choice but to watch it. This week it was moved so it clashed with the football and gave us girls something to watch :sleep:. The coming week BBC2 has been moved about so that nothing decent (The Fall) clashes with it.

Sorry Aunty Beeb, but I won't be watching Frankie.
  • Options
    cynet2007cynet2007 Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Was expecting to tune in to see a lesbian called Frankie who has a fascinating life but instead got the actress from Torchwood playing a boring dull nurse sigh!
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    The only thing missing is the halo round her head.

That's on next weeks show :rolleyes: So glad I stopped watching after week 1 :D
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that I heard an Emeli Sande song playing on the trailer means I haven't watched it.
    Pity as I liked Eve Myles in other stuff. Looks like my decision is correct.
  • Options
    pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wise decision, this is junk daytime tv fare.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    The fact that I heard an Emeli Sande song playing on the trailer means I haven't watched it.
    Pity as I liked Eve Myles in other stuff. Looks like my decision is correct.

Terrifying though the prospect is, perhaps I should familiarise myself with Emily Sandi's work so that I can apply your methodology.:D
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bumping - on now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a waste! Only the opening bars of Chaz Jankel and Norman Watt-Roy laying it down at the start of the ep?
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    pianoforte wrote: »
    Wise decision, this is junk daytime tv fare.

Put this rubbish on about four in the morning when nobody's watching :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Myles has a copy of Agent Proschlockateur...
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knew that bloke was seeing someone else, was talking to her on his mobile while having a **** :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is totally unprofessional shouting at a patient! She screwed up her own finances.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    babies every-where.. sex sex and sex..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    babies every-where.. sex sex and sex..

The special needs guy specially needs more condoms.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The special needs guy specially needs more condoms.

hope he does not over abuse a condom.. more babies lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I'm obviously in the minority here, i'm loving this prog!
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    As a nurse myself I find this hugely irritating and stereotypical...made it through 2 EPs before giving up...
  • Options
    molocottagemolocottage Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    bex78 wrote: »

I'm joining the minority because I think it's great!
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bex78 wrote: »
    I'm joining the minority because I think it's great!

I'm with you two :)
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with you two :)

count me in, I really look forward to this each month and think Eve is fabulous.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    count me in, I really look forward to this each month and think Eve is fabulous.

Myles would better if someone at the BBC had thought about her character a little more. Her hysterical reaction to finding about the pregnancy then shutting out her long-suffering boyfriend made her look a prize hypocrite. It was clearly stated that Ian wanted to speak to her (to tell her himself) yet Frankie conveniently 'forgot' this and flew off the handle - only hours after forgiving another man for having made a mistake in his love life.

Complex characters are great, but Frankie isn't Mad Men and the lead character isn't Don Draper. We are supposed to like her, yet her moral code is flawed and nobody dare even point this out while she's claiming the high ground about everything under the sun.

The stories of the week are good - just a shame the title character is such a mess. Flawed characters are good - but we are supposed to like them. And there is less and less to like about Frankie. What a waste.