Supermarket spoilt items

mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,436
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just arrived back from shopping in Asda and we were amazed at the number of items we came across that were going to waste.
Half eaten packets of doughnuts, chocolate bars half eaten, crisps packets empty, flowers pulled from their bunches and just left to dry up and just left out of the buckets in bunches. Also, there were chilled items left on the bread section, potatoes in the freezer,we even came across fresh chicken from the deli counter opened with just one piece left by the soups.
It must cost the supermarkets hundreds of pounds a week through the loss of these products. Who is going to end up paying for them~? The genuine customers of course.
If I get to the cash desk and discover I no longer want an item, I tell the till person and they call someone to take them back. Better than just leaving them anywhere.
It's not only asda where people take advantage, the other day in the newsagents, there were loose jelly shapes by the till and a woman helped herself to three, not a word was said by her of the person on the till! I was gobsmacked, she only paid for her cigarettes!
It's just so annoying that people can be so thoughtless, cheeky and lazy especially in supermarkets. .

Comments

• macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go and talk to Delta Tango, you can both put the world to rights.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grapes of wrath.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macsmurray wrote: »
    Go and talk to Delta Tango, you can both put the world to rights.

Thread police at it again I see :D
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thread police at it again I see :D

Not at all, just uniting kindred spirits.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just arrived back from shopping in Asda and we were amazed at the number of items we came across that were going to waste.

Half eaten packets of doughnuts, chocolate bars half eaten, crisps packets empty, flowers pulled from their bunches and just left to dry up and just left out of the buckets in bunches. Also, there were chilled items left on the bread section, potatoes in the freezer,we even came across fresh chicken from the deli counter opened with just one piece left by the soups...
    I've never seen a supermarket where things were as bad as that. Is it in a particularly rough area?
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with you,mrsdaisychain.

I work in a supermarket and you would not believe the amount of waste that is created by lazy,thoughtless customers every day.

It's not just the monetary cost to the supermarket that is the issue. There are people in this country who don't know where their next meal is coming from ,and are having to use food banks and soup kitchens.
    All the while good food is being spoiled by lazy thoughtless acts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Imagine finding a cooked chicken beside the bleach? Around here it seems people are allowed to eat the food before getting to the checkouts = free food.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aspicjelly wrote: »
    Imagine finding a cooked chicken beside the bleach? Around here it seems people are allowed to eat the food before getting to the checkouts = free food.

That's another thing that annoys me.

The other day a customer's card got declined at the checkout,but his kid had eaten three chocolate bars as he walked round the store,so effectively,he had stolen those chocolate bars as he had no way of paying for them.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    I've never seen a supermarket where things were as bad as that. Is it in a particularly rough area?

No, not really

I totally agree with you,mrsdaisychain.

I work in a supermarket and you would not believe the amount of waste that is created by lazy,thoughtless customers every day.

It's not just the monetary cost to the supermarket that is the issue. There are people in this country who don't know where their next meal is coming from ,and are having to use food banks and soup kitchens.
    All the while good food is being spoiled by lazy thoughtless acts.

Yes, that is what annoys me no end. I also spotted a prawn salad today by the bottled soft drinks, goodness how long that had been out of the chiller. That could make someone quite ill too if it was just put back.
    Sad when you think of the food banks as you say.

That's another thing that annoys me.

The other day a customer's card got declined at the checkout,but his kid had eaten three chocolate bars as he walked round the store,so effectively,he had stolen those chocolate bars as he had no way of paying for them.

I would be ashamed if that happened to me, some parents don't care though.